X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Strat - '57 vs '62 Reissue vs Hot Rod

57 / 62 American Vintage Reissue vs Hot Rod
    Hi Guys / Gals - this is a fairly open ended question as there are a few things I'm curious about.

Firstly, I've not read many comparisons of the '57 and '62 AVRI - I've only read a couple of opinions suggesting that the '57 is "snappier / brighter" and that the '62 is "rounder / warmer"... Is this the all-round consensus or is there virtually no difference?
    My two reasons for asking are
    1) Plain curiosity
    2) I prefer the look of a maple neck but everybody seems to always but the '62...

Second - I've read as much as I can find on the differences between the "standard" Vintage Reissue vs the Vintage Hot Rod - but there's not a lot of posted info - what I don't understand is why it seems that everybody has the '62 AVRI instead of the VHR but the VHR is basically the same instrument but with nice upgrades like thinner nitro finish, fat neck (read a lot of complaints about the thin AVRI neck - especially regarding difficulty with lots of bending notes)...

Obviously I'm not going to buy a new guitar without having played it a decent amount first, BUT - I'm already thinking about picking one of 5 models:

1) American Standard 2008
    2 - 4) '57 or '62 AVRI / '57 or '62 VHR

As far as the vintage ones go, COSMETICALLY, I much prefer maple necks, and I really don't like the look of the hot rod's humbucker bridge pup...
    PLAYABILITY - well, I'm a Les Paul (Epi) guy up to date, so I suppose I'm used to thicker necks (played a friends Am Std '08 which felt quite thin) - saying that, I'll make my new strat my main axe and I'm happy to get used to any kind of neck really...
    In terms of sound, I'd like to hear more on this please!

So, hit me guys! I wanna know all about the differences between these guitars - as there just doesn't seem to be that many forum posts on this subject which I find pretty strange...

Peace xx

*also posted on TGP

bump
    Anybody for a quick game of Cock, Muff, Bumhole?

Comment

Have recently compared an american standard & a 57 reissue.

I'd pick the american standard of the two.

I think it's pick ups were the best, and the 57 reissue as a stupid period correct pick up switch with only 3 positions, meaning you cannot combined the neck & middle pick ups or the middle & bridge pick.

I really like the action of the 57 reissue, but the 3 posittion versus 5 position pick up selector switch would get me picking the american standard (nicer pick ups too IMO) and save me a bunch of money.
      Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

Have recently compared an american standard & a 57 reissue.

I'd pick the american standard of the two.

I think it's pick ups were the best, and the 57 reissue as a stupid period correct pick up switch with only 3 positions, meaning you cannot combined the neck & middle pick ups or the middle & bridge pick.

I really like the action of the 57 reissue, but the 3 posittion versus 5 position pick up selector switch would get me picking the american standard (nicer pick ups too IMO) and save me a bunch of money.

My 62ri has a three way and I can get the inbetween positions.

And they also supply a five way switch in the case for people like you who don't like the three way.
        Good Deals: Fruvai, ikihsek keshiki, Used666

Originally Posted by skippydmongoose

My college roommate and I were in the shower with these two chicks. It was about 4 a.m., we'd been drinking all night, played strip poker, we all got naked and one of the girls said "let's all take a shower."

So the girls are soaping each others boobs up giggling and I look over at Todd, yep, that was his name , and he has shampoo in his hair. I'm all "dude, we're not in here to actually ****************ing shower, wtf is wrong with you?"....

Comment

My 62ri has a three way and I can get the inbetween positions.

And they also supply a five way switch in the case for people like you who don't like the three way.

That's cool about the 5 way switch being available too.

I'm curious, how do you get the in between positions with a 3 way switch???
          Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

That's cool about the 5 way switch being available too.

I'm curious, how do you get the in between positions with a 3 way switch???

It's stiff enough to just stick in the inbetween positions. That's how people discovered these positions and that is why they ended up making a 5 way switch.
            Good Deals: Fruvai, ikihsek keshiki, Used666

Originally Posted by skippydmongoose

My college roommate and I were in the shower with these two chicks. It was about 4 a.m., we'd been drinking all night, played strip poker, we all got naked and one of the girls said "let's all take a shower."

So the girls are soaping each others boobs up giggling and I look over at Todd, yep, that was his name , and he has shampoo in his hair. I'm all "dude, we're not in here to actually ****************ing shower, wtf is wrong with you?"....

Comment

I'd choose the Hot Rod 62 for its bigger frets and flatter radius - I'm not big on the feel of 7.25 and vintage frets.

Comment

That's cool!!!!

Funny though, I tried to do that with the 57ri, but it didn't work.

Still, even with 3 way switch working like a 5way switch, Id' still take the standard. I haven't tried the deluxe though, that's another option too.
                Ant the Les Paul Lover!

Comment

Model Name American Vintage
                  Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

and I really don't like the look of the hot rod's humbucker bridge

It doesn't have one
                    Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything. - Plato

Comment

Is that definitely a pic of a hot rod and not a regular AVRI?

Also, I've read some accounts that the AVRIs and VHRs use the same pickups (except the bridge which is supposed to be a humbucket on the VHR I think). I've also heard that the Hot Rods have hotter pickups...?

Comment

♪ Cats 'n' Strats, 'cause that's how I roll

I Surf therefore I am.
                        Strat Blender Pot Modification HERE

Originally Posted by Mike Eldred, Fender Custom Shop

The discussion about nitro (and many things on forums like these) is largely based on folklore, innuendo, and assumption that it "sounds better". Poppycock.

Comment

What he said. Also, the '57 Strats and the '62 Strats both use the same pickups, which are the Fender '57/'62 set. I don't know about the Hot Rods. Some models, such as their Teles have different pups but I don't know about the Strats.

If it were me I'd get one of the Vintage Thin Skins at Wildwood or one of the other places before I'd get any ('57, '62, HR) of the above! And right now they cost less than the standard AVRIs do!

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/avts/

Absolutely, a 59RI Thinskin for $1599

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/electrics/fender/avts/59strat/index.php

Comment

You Are My Bumpage
                            My only Bumpage.
                            You make me happy
                            When posts are low.
                            You'll never know, dear,
                            How much I love you.
                            Please don't take my bumpage away

Comment

And Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene...

Comment

Working...
                                X