1974 Telecaster worth $3500?

fuzztone

• Members

I went to GC today and in a glass showcase they have a 1974 blonde tele with original hardshell case.It looked to be in near mint condition.The price tag says $3495 and today they had the 15% off if you trade in a piece of gear so it would so it would be $2970.Do you think it is worth it?

• Members

Nope.

Sure, it's from the 70's, and getting harder to find. But 70's Fenders were very hit and miss. As in investment, it would certainly make money in the long run, but I think it's pretty ridiculous that folks are paying a premium for Fenders of that era just because they're old.

• Members

My cousin has one from the early 70's and it's been an amazing guitar. He bought it new at GC Hollywood. I don't think that CBS messed with the tele very much in those days. They are just like they are today. Most are good. Some are great. Some are dogs.

But I saw a mint condition Tele Deluxe in natural ash from the same period go for $2200 at Wildwood not too long ago. That seemed like a good deal.

• Members

Maybe.

Not everything that Fender made in the 70s was a dog. A lot of them were, but not all of them.

Play it. If it really grabs you, it might be worth it. You probably won't make much money if you decide to flip it, but you won't lose money either.

• Members

Yes, I reckon it is actually worth that as long as it is in good playable condition and is pretty much all original. An original case helps an old guitar keep its value too. But $3500 for a clean 1974 Telecaster with original case is about the going rate. Though it is up to you to decide if that is how much you want to spend on a Telecaster.

• Members

depends....'74 is sort of the "cut-off" year for good vintage strats and teles.

i have played some REALLY good early 70s teles. and i have seen them as high as $5k.

i would rather have a nice early 70s tele for $3k than one of the new relic reissues....

• Members

As an investment, if it's a good example of Fender quality and not a good example of Fender's 1970s quality, then sure. As a player, you can get something just as good or better for cheaper, easily. I wouldn't resist trying it out and seeing if it was any good, though. Could be a winner... Or it could be a show piece that doesn't play or sound good that's worth what they're asking because others who'll also put them in glass cases will pay that much.

There's a fairly local shop (maybe an hour drive) that I go to because they carry Fender and ESP/LTD. They have a Fender tele with completely engraved hardware, and the body is covered in what is basically an envelope of embroidered, etched leather, sewn with leather straps along the edges. It's in a glass case, too, and mind-numbingly expensive. It probably doesn't sound or play any better... But {censored}, does it look awesome.

• Members

I'd just like to qualify my earlier statement... I didn't mean to say that all '70s Teles are dogs. Of course not. I think I was just upset because pretty much every guitar in that vintage shop was a dog. It was depressing.

Like any other year, there will be great 74 Teles, okay ones, and {censored}ty ones. If it's a good one... Great! :cool:

...If it's a crappy one, don't bother just because it's "worth more".

• Members

Yes, I reckon it is actually worth that as long as it is in good playable condition and is pretty much all original. An original case helps an old guitar keep its value too. But $3500 for a clean 1974 Telecaster with original case is about the going rate. Though it is up to you to decide if that is how much you want to spend on a Telecaster.

"the going rate" is about $2000 more than its actually worth.

• Members

since when do 70s Fenders have mojo? aren't they the very reason that the 50s and 60s guitars are worth so much? because Leo's guitars had mojo and CBS sucked all of it out?

Even early 80s Fenders have mojo now. Check out the prices of those.

Archived