Is a 10yr old Fernandes Strat MIJ worth $200???

orbm1

• Members

There is a gentleman trying to sell me his Fernandes MIJ special edition with Fender Texas Special Strat Guitar Pickups....

He told me is 10yrs old and that it is in good condition..... I have not been able to play it...and I have no prior experience with fernandes..

do you think is worth $200?

Thanks!

:wave:

• Members

I've seen 2 Fernandes strat copies with that headstock that had back plates that said "Made in Japan" One played and sounded great. The other not so much. But the previous owner had really beaten the crap out of that one.

• Members

I had a Fernandes bass about 10 years ago - Made in China - but decent fit and finish.

If that guitar really has texas specials it would be worth it, as you could always put the pickups in another guitar.

• Members

Def' worth checking out. Especially if the pups are the Custom Shop Texas specials. I am pretty sure those are the only kind of Texas Specials.

and how to know if it has those pu? is there anyway of identified them visually???

Thanks!

• Members

Even with that headstock it could be a japanese model. They have a decent reputation and the older revival series are considered excellent guitars. But as with all the japanese companies they made models in all price points so try to do some digging. But play it for sure and if it sounds good then I would think 200 would be a good deal.

• Members

Ok... here is the info he gave me...

PUs are 2.5 yrs old

guitar is 10 yrs old

he is sure it is from Japan, he will share some pictures later...

I work down the price to $170 with the fender case and new strings.

We'll confirm the transaction later today or tomorrow...

Thanks!

Omar

• Members

Is there a link to this Ebay guide in which you speak?

Checking out the E-bay guide for Fernades headstocks that one does seem to date back around 10 years ago. Don't know about where it was made though.

Edit...Those are the custom shop Texas Specials and not the Tex-Mex?

• Members

Those were made by Tokai and they are excellent.. Not good, excellent.. grab it up.. I have one that cost me $350 on ebay not long ago, only because it is surf green which people go hog over for some reason.. Had like 27 bids on it, and I got caught up in it..Fernandes MIJ guitars are the same quality as a good MIJ Fender at 1/3 to 1/2 the price.. I DO NOT like the 7.25 radius neck and vintage frets they use however... bob

• Members

Cool

9e_1.jpg

DO NOT WANT:

rrx-blk.jpg

Actually the 80's style above looks like the ones on the Vintage Strats of that time while cool the Shredder ones were a little more angular and streamlined and even cooler. I am thinking the ones off of the original Fernandes Revolvers FR-65 and FR-120s.

• Members

As others have said, if it's MIJ, it's worth $200 regardless of the pickups it has installed.

If it has Texas Specials, it's worth $200 regardless of where it was made.

If it is MIJ and has Texas Specials, $200 is a steal!

That headstock could definitely be MIJ. That's the same design as my MIJ Fernandes bass and I've seen many MIJ guitars with that headstock.

As far as identifying the pickups, you pretty much need to pull the pickguard and look at the bottom of the pickups. They should have cloth covered wires and should have a Custom Shop sticker. I personally like the Tex Mex pickups as much as the Texas Specials, but they are more difficult to verify. Either way, I'd play the guitar, make sure it feels solid, make sure it's MIJ and then tell him as long as they are Texas Specials, you'll take the guitar. Loosen all the strings, cut the strings with wire cutters and pull the pickguard. It should only take less than 5 minutes.

Good luck. That'll be a nice find if it all checks out.

• Members

For $170 w/hsc you can take it apart and mess with it at home after you buy it. Not worth dismantling the guitar as a prerequisite, just play it, if you like it give the man the cash and take it home.

• Members

10 years old with that headstock... probably not MIJ.

Likely MIK.

Still worth $200 with that case.

It's MIJ. All Fender-style Fernandes guitars are MIJ. That model is called the LE-2.

I used to have one. Technically, I still do. Look at Franky in my sig. :thu:

Hit it. Hit it hard. Hit it like Captain Picard.

picardhitit.jpg

Archived