Epiphone SG-400 1966 limited edition vs Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top

KevinTJH

• Members

Hi guys,

I have been playing guitar for about 6 years and have decided to treat myself on a new electric guitar. Since I'm not really thinking of spending much, I have considered these 2 guitars as they were both sold at the same price on ebay (Brand new).

So here's my question, which of the 2 guitars would you choose and why? Please give me your opinions. (unbias with the shape of the guitar).

Thanks guys!

• Members

If your not set on a Gibson type you might hold out and see what the next Fender-Friday deal is going to be. They have been blowing out guitars at great prices recently. Yesterdays was a Fender Blackout Tele for $299 that usually goes for around $600.

At any rate...Of those two I would get the LP type because I am not a huge fan of those vintage SG neck joints.

For the $550 or so on that LP you are kind of close to the used price of a Les Paul Studio with hard case. I would prol' just save the extra cash. You can find them on CL for about $700.

• Members

The LP kicks the SG in the pants!

The LP is heavier, stronger, can be twirled around without fear of snapping a thin neckjoint....

so of course the choice is yours, but if you don't already own one, I'd say Go For The LP

FTW!!!

• Members

I happen to have one of each of those guitars. Plus a strat copy. I play 'em all, switching around from one to another depending on my mood (the strat very rarely though, I'm really a Gibson guy.) I like 'em both, but if I could only have one it'd be the SG, hands down. I wouldn't even have to think about it.

I can't say enough about how much I LOVE that slim-taper neck. Sometimes I think I should buy 3 or 4 of those SGs and keep them sealed in their boxes. Then if I were ever to buy another guitar I'll have an extra Epi SG neck to transplant onto it.

You'll want to immediately put new strings and a better nut on whichever one you get, and I'll be upgrading the pickups on mine soon, but you can wait on that. The stock P'ups aren't awfull, but they're not great either. What can you expect for a guitar at that price though? I'm also planning on putting 500k pots on the LP but that's more a matter of personal taste, and if you go w/ the SG get a pack of 11s. It sounds absolutely fantastic w/ heavy strings.

So I give two BIG thumbs up to the SG. But either way, you'll be happy.

And, for the very best idea- Buy both!!

• Members

The LP is heavier, stronger, can be twirled around without fear of snapping a thin neckjoint....

so of course the choice is yours, but if you don't already own one, I'd say Go For The LP

FTW!!!

I worried about the SG being fragile too, but it just hasn't been the case. It's a whisp of a neck, but it's taken some punishment and been just fine in spite of it. It's been dropped and knocked around several times. Had beer spilled on it, been stepped on by my kids, and so far it's OK.

And hell, take a look at YouTube and see how hard ole' Pete had smash those things on the floor to get 'em to break! They're tougher than they look.

• Members

I've owned an SG, LP and a Sheraton.

From Best to worst:

Sheraton: My main guitar, awesome thing after you change the bridge (sustain) and pickups. All around solid work horse with nice tone.

LP: Solid guitar, could be better, but I didn't expect a lot more for the price.

SG: bitch to keep in tune and I hated the neck, comfortable, but heavy for the body. I think mine was a bad one, but I won't buy one ever again.

• Members

Thanks for the reply, guys.

The retail price for the sg is AU$799 while the retail price for the lespaul is about AU$1000. Both have similar hardware. (eg. the grover tuners, mahogany neck, and the crappy muddy alnico pickups) Pickups don't bother me since I'll be changing them anyway. I really don't see why should the lespaul be worth more than the sg when they have similar hardware. If it's the wood, they don't use very good wood for epiphone anyway, right?

Assuming i'll be getting 1 bad guitar, and then save up for 1 good guitar, which combination would be best/ideal/wise..etc?

Epiphone SG-400 1966 ltd edition + Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus top

OR

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus top + Gibson SG Standard

Sorry for all the weird questions i ask. Thanks guys.

• Members

I tried a couple SG's and just didn't get on with anuy of them. I have and Epi Ultra II which is really a nice guitar and the nanomag gives it a nice acoustic effect too. It's an acoustic-electric and a traditional LP all wrapped in one and worth the extra$, Plus it's light due to the chambered body. By blending the nanomag and the bridge pickup, you can do a pretty convincing semihollow 335ish sound too.

• Members

I've never had any issues with tuning stability on my Epi '66 LE G-400. The neck's pretty fast, upper fret access is a breeze, and it's way comfortable in both seated and standing positions.

I replaced the bridge pickup with a DiMarzio Tone Zone, and as much as it improved it's tone, it completely overpowered the stock neck pickup (which was actually nice when the original bridge pickup was there). I found a guy selling a Gibson P-94R for $60, so I'll be installing that tomorrow.:thu:

I think at this point you know how an actual Gibson LP's neck feels like, and how it weighs and feels against your body. Either you like it or you don't.

So my vote's for the G-400 + LP Standard Plus Top.

• Members

Another guitar to consider is the Hagstrom Super Swede. I feel it is a better guitar than and EPI +Top. The neck is to die for, almost in the shredder guitar league and the finish is outstanding. The body and neck have Les Paul Custom style multi-ply bindings too. The pickups are better than Epi and also feature a coil tap that makes very convincing telecaster tones too. I got mine off ebay and was very pleased with it. I sold my + top after I got it! Same goes for the Michael Kelly Patriot Custom. Both guitars are just a cut above the Epi for the same money. I wouldn't worry about buying either one off ebay unplayed.

• Members

FTW!!!

:facepalm:

1966 G-400 ftw. I have one...

for sale.

• Members

Gulp!!

They have a really SWEET deal going on the '66 right now.

I might just have to get one myself.

$349 (cherry) $399 (Silverburst)

Free case Included?

Free Shipping?

Hmmmmm.....

I like the cherry myself.

It's good to hear confidence on the neckjoint.

I like the guitar alot.

• Members

Gulp!!

Free case Included?

Free Shipping?

Hmmmmm.....

I like the guitar alot.

I know, it bugs me. I was trying to sell mine then this deal came around. I'm trying to keep it on the DL :lol::lol:

• Members

I know, it bugs me. I was trying to sell mine then this deal came around. I'm trying to keep it on the DL
:lol:
:lol:

I'm in a real gassy gotta-have-it-now

state of mind.

GC says they'll honor the deal local if it's in stock

:thu:

• Members

Not sure if I'm thinking of the same guitar, but the 60s G400 that same in like a worn white finish... it had great sounding stock pickups. I mean, they could certainly be improved, but they aren't in the same ballpark as the Epiphones that come with the 'hot' ceramic pickups at ALL. I was playing one of the 60s G400s in white through a Super Sonic at Guitar Center close to Christmas and a guy was surprised at how good it sounded. He didn't believe it had the stock pickups.

• Members

I've got an old (15 years or so) Korean G400, and I've stuck a set of old Gibson PAF types in it, and had a bone nut fitted, and it's really nice and sounds great!

In all konesty, it's possibly a better guitar than my Gibbo SG special...

As for the Epis.....I have no doubt that there are some WONDEFUL ones out there, but they have never really done it for me...they feel like the absolute epitome of generic Asian guitar.

This was a few years back, and I haven't played THAT many, so it may well just be my experience.

• Members

Gulp!!

Free case Included?

Free Shipping?

Hmmmmm.....

I like the guitar alot.

I assume you mean at MF, correct? I don't see it coming with a free HSC, though.

Also, can anyone tell me what the differences between the 1966 G-400 and the regular G-400 are?

• Members

I assume you mean at MF, correct? I don't see it coming with a free HSC, though.

Also, can anyone tell me what the differences between the 1966 G-400 and the regular G-400 are?

The pickguard is the main differemce. It coveres the face of the guitar. Much like a Gibson SG Standard...has the same look.

If you follow this link you'll see that GC has the same special as MF.

It Does come with a 'free gift'......

Check it out.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-SG-Standard-S.O.R-Electric-Guitar?sku=512455#new

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Limited-Edition-1966-G-400-Electric-Guitar-102676350-i1166714.gc

"Includes a Free Gift!

1 - Epiphone SG Hardshell Case"

• Members

Damn! That is a nice deal when they throw in the case! I paid more and only got the guitar. :-(

When you go to pick yours up don't forget to grab a pack of 11s too. SGs get a whole new voice with heavy strings on 'em.

How do we know you're the REAL ChineseKnockoff?

Archived