GFS Dream 180?

Larry the Dog

• Members

I have one, bridge in my Jackson.

fantastic pup. Plenty of chime. Can be a tad harsh, but still has good lows.

Part of it is just dialing in the amp just right. I tend to drop the highs a touch on the amp, or roll off the tone just a touch. Sounds really good.

It has a sort of... hollow... tone on clean. Distorted it does a great low end thump and a WAIL up high.

Good pickup. Very good pickup.

• Members

Yes I have them in this semi-hollow tele I built. It has become my favorite guitar to use in a 60s and 70s cover band I play in. They are nice a bright and jangly and take to overdrive real well.

Here is pic of the guitar.

FinalTop3.jpg

Max

• Members

Would you guys be able to post some clips?

Distorted in an SG bridge tone humbucking and then tapped. Then neck + tapped neck.http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25725

SG Clean tone starts from neck, middle and Bridge tones: http://www.mp3lizard.com/download.cfm?id=25665

Check my blues myspace page below for smokey fat neck leads in the slow blues ballads "she used to be mine, "our love will never end".Rhythm is the bridge pickup . Have dream180' in a Sheraton II there . Very airy and blooms my semi's acoustic qualities clean wise.Distortion is cutting and bright but not harsh. a very cool pup imho.

• Members

Distorted in an SG bridge tone humbucking and then tapped. Then neck + tapped neck.

SG Clean tone starts from neck, middle and Bridge tones:

Check my blues myspace page below for smokey fat neck leads in the slow blues ballads "she used to be mine, "our love will never end".Rhythm is the bridge pickup . Have dream180' in a Sheraton II there . Very airy and blooms my semi's acoustic qualities clean wise.Distortion is cutting and bright but not harsh. a very cool pup imho.

Thanks man.....nice tone. Like that Warmoth too.

• Members

I hate the GFS Dream 180s. I have a set for sale for $50. I know it isn't the way to 'make a sale' but they have been the worst pickups that I've ever had in my house. I was trying to sell the guitar that had them in it because the sound was so disappointing.

The sound is compressed and they seem like they have high pass and low pass filters on them so that the really low lows are cut off and the very high highs are cut off. They are harsh with any distortion and I set them at every height from max low to max high and all in between. The notes have no character and there is no harmonic complexity in these pickups. It seemed like a $300 guitar with the Dream 180s in it and I was honestly thinking that the guitar was a dog.

I put a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Lollar Low Wind Imperial in the bridge and now it seems like a $1000 guitar. The guitar isn't a dog. The pickups sucked all of the good out of it.

*my opinion of the Dream 180 should always be attached to dman11's opinion of them because they are completely opposite.*

• Members

I hate the GFS Dream 180s. I have a set for sale for $50. I know it isn't the way to 'make a sale' but they have been the worst pickups that I've ever had in my house. I was trying to sell the guitar that had them in it because the sound was so disappointing.

The sound is compressed and they seem like they have high pass and low pass filters on them so that the really low lows are cut off and the very high highs are cut off. They are harsh with any distortion and I set them at every height from max low to max high and all in between. The notes have no character and there is no harmonic complexity in these pickups. It seemed like a $300 guitar with the Dream 180s in it and I was honestly thinking that the guitar was a dog.

I put a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck and a Lollar Low Wind Imperial in the bridge and now it seems like a $1000 guitar. The guitar isn't a dog. The pickups sucked all of the good out of it.

*my opinion of the Dream 180 should always be attached to dman11's opinion of them because they are completely opposite.*

Hmm, I paid less than $60/pair shipped for a set of new ones. Count me as a fan. Mine aren't harsh at all, and they are ALWAYS used with different characters of overdrive. They have a sweet 3D chime to them. Very nice.

• Members

I have a set in my Ibanez AS73 and like them. A big improvement over the rather bland stock. They remind me a lot of the Gibson 490s I had in my SG. Bright and jangly, tight bottom end. As I'm typing this I'm looking at smorgdonky's response, and wondering if we are even talking about the same pickups, because that isn't close to describing what mine sound like.

• Members
I have a set in my Ibanez AS73 and like them. A big improvement over the rather bland stock. They remind me a lot of the Gibson 490s I had in my SG. Bright and jangly, tight bottom end. As I'm typing this I'm looking at smorgdonky's response, and wondering if we are even talking about the same pickups, because that isn't close to describing what mine sound like.

same here!:thu:

• Members

I've had two sets of them... both were very decent, but I ended up selling both guitars and didn't bother to remove the pickups either time.

The weird thing is, on the first guitar, I LOVED the neck pickup and thought the bridge was only OK... One the second one, I LOVED the bridge pickup and thought the neck was good, but not as good as I remembered.

It is what it is... a nice PAF-ish pickup with a little more jangle. Probably a good bet for someone that thinks humbuckers are always muddy.

• Members

yeah we agree to disagree:thu: altho my clips seem to get positive response:confused:

• Members

I picked up a set of used D180'2 here on the board from a guy that had them in a solid body and hated the sound. I installed them in my S101 335 clone and god damn they are sweet. Just as what everyone else says with the jangle, warm yet bright, some bite, all around perfect for what I was after. The attack is also in the sweet spot for me so its a win win win all around. Nothing bad to say of them at all.

I really need to take a better picture but this is all I have:

2v81dt2.jpg

• Members

I picked up a set of used D180'2 here on the board from a guy that had them in a solid body and hated the sound. I installed them in my S101 335 clone

...AND I was initially thinking that I should try them in a solidbody because they actually made me want to throw my 335 out the window.

However, there was so much to dislike about them that I thought there was no 2 pickups that I'd want to remove from any of my solidbodies for the risk of hating them even half as much as I did in the hollow.

• Members

I almost ordered a bridge 180 yesterday for my SX strat/tele. I liked them in the XV-650 that I had and went with the Vintage '59 this time. Hope I like that one as much as I did the Dream 180. I wanted a low output humbucker and the Vintage '59 fits that bill. We'll see.

Lou

• Members

I have a Dream180 in the neck of a Epi Genesis(blows the stock pup out of the water) and it was previously in a SX KY1 neck as well. A winner in both.

I know this can be a subjective discussion but it is also hard to determine where the line is crossed as far as fact.

• Members

I almost ordered a bridge 180 yesterday for my SX strat/tele. I liked them in the XV-650 that I had and went with the Vintage '59 this time. Hope I like that one as much as I did the Dream 180. I wanted a low output humbucker and the Vintage '59 fits that bill. We'll see.

Lou

I'm in a similar boat. I've got an Epiphone Les Paul Ultra, but I'm not super happy with the Neck pickup. I'm considering replacing it with a Vintage '59, but keep weighing options of replacing both Neck and Bridge with Dream 180s.

Archived