Guitar Stores in Taiwan, Japan, Thailand and Cambodia

Armitage

• Members

Well I'm still stumbling across Asia and was wondering if any of you guys knew any cool guitar stores in Taiwan, Japan, Thailand and Cambodia... I'll be out here until at least August.

It's SO hot though... I'm melting. Lots of pretty girls though! :thu:

• Members

Are you in mainland Japan? I lived in Okinawa for a while and there are two that are literally a block away from each other. One is huge and cool and the other is small and packed with more stuff than I have ever seen in one store.

• Members

EME musical instrument in Taichung, Taiwan. A friend's friend is a gibson trained luthier who work there part time. shop owner is nice and helpful, they have a small collection of Ibanez, ESP, Gibson, Fender, BC Rich, epiphone and Fender Japan in store. If you cant find what you are looking for, just ask and they might have one in their warehouse. But i'd still recommend you to shop in japan and dont forget to grab an Edwards.

• Members

If you're in Taipei...

"Shin Li Sen Music"

No 78 Zhonghua Rd, Sec 1.

Tel: 886-2-23822568 or 886-2-23312004

URL: http://www.sls-music.com.tw

Nearest MRT station is Ximen Station

"Tony's Music" (AKA "ATB Music")

Hoping East Road Section 3, lane 308, No 18

Nearest MRT station is Linguang Station

[make sure you check out upstairs too]

"Player"

1F., No.19, Jinhua St., Zhongzheng Dist., Taipei City 100, Taiwan (R.O.C.)

(or might be written as follows, depending on which map you use)

1F., No.19, Jinhua St., Jhongjheng Dist., Taipei City 100, Taiwan (R.O.C.)

Best way to get there is go on the MRT (subway) to CKS Memorial Hall Station and exit at exit 3, then turn right and almost immediately right again to face the shop. It's like 20 yards walk from the exit, so if you walk more that that, you've done something wrong.

http://www.gtplayer.com.tw/

[check out downstairs too]

Galaxy Music Company (AKA "Golden Ant music shop")

No. 37-1, Sec. 1, Jin-Shan south road, Taipei ( located between Ren'ai road and Zhongxiao east road, and the nearest MRT is Zhongxiao / Xin-Sheng station ).

Tel: 02-2357-8665

Business hours: Monday - Saturday 10:00AM -10:00PM

Sunday 12:00AM-07:00PM

[small shop, but packed with decent stuff. Check out the acoustics round the back. They have some stored away too, so don't be afraid to ask if they have any others. ]

Don't know the name of this shop, but worth checking out.

Intersection of Nanjing E Rd and Jianguo Rd. Head North for like 20 yards on the right side of the Rd.

[make sure you check out downstairs too]

Be warned that the Taiwanese are very inconsistent with English translations of street names, so your map might have all of these spelt totally differently.

In all honesty though, I think you're going to find better stuff in Japan.

• Members

Be warned that the Taiwanese are very inconsistent with English translations of street names, so your map might have all of these spelt totally differently.

In all honesty though, I think you're going to find better stuff in Japan.

I am from Taipei, and I have plenty of experience with those places mentioned. As mentioned, you will find better stuff in Japan. I know many people who fly there just to grab something nice.

Customer service wise, the last one is the best. The clerks are friendly and willing to help you with anything, something that the stores here don't do. They even have their own repair workshop. It doesn't have English name, so I will leave their page: http://www.xz.com.tw/

Tony's Music and Player are OK. I find their service quite inconsistent, and the former often have their guitars left in the dust. Some guitars are not well set up as well. Probably that's because they have too much stuff.

I try to avoid visiting Shin Li Shen Music and Galaxy Music as much as I can, especially the latter(although sometimes I can't help myself). The staff at Shin li Shen are quite indifferent usually, and the guys at Galaxy are very VERY difficult people. The staff members are arrogant asses and the owner is impossible to talk to. I even wonder how they survive with this kind of {censored} service.

Of course, my opinion above are based on my experience.

• Members

http://www.guitarthai.com/home.asp

This has most of the guitar stuff here listed.

Central World and Paragon Dept stores have Gibson, Fender, PRS, Ibanez, Rich etc etc in dealerships.

Pantip Plaza has small mom n pops that do second hand and better deals.

There are several luthiers, if you want customs.

Local company Barracuda retail in Rock Planet in Central World.

I bought two of my guitars (see pic) from Atlas, who have a small shophouse out of town. http://www.guitarandpickup.com/No retail as far as I know but real quality instruments at good prices, to your specification.

PM me if you need any help in Bangkok.

• Members

Isn't Ceriatone in Thailand? Check them out and demo every amp for us.

CeriaTone Amplification

13-2, 2nd Floor

Jalan Cempaka SD 12/2, Bandar Sri Damansara

52200 Kuala Lumpur,

Malaysia

close but no cigar.

If you have time, could be worth the trip. Malaysia is an OK place to visit.

• Members

Might be worth taking a Yamaha factory tour if they have them and your in the area of their Taiwan factory.

Couldn't even begin to remember where any guitar stores are in Japan. It's been about 6 years. But.....def' take the time if can to try out the domestic only models that the shops have.

• Members

I am from Taipei, and I have plenty of experience with those places mentioned. As mentioned, you will find better stuff in Japan. I know many people who fly there just to grab something nice.

Customer service wise, the last one is the best. The clerks are friendly and willing to help you with anything, something that the stores here don't do. They even have their own repair workshop. It doesn't have English name, so I will leave their page:

Tony's Music and Player are OK. I find their service quite inconsistent, and the former often have their guitars left in the dust. Some guitars are not well set up as well. Probably that's because they have too much stuff.

I try to avoid visiting Shin Li Shen Music and Galaxy Music as much as I can, especially the latter(although sometimes I can't help myself). The staff at Shin li Shen are quite indifferent usually, and the guys at Galaxy are very VERY difficult people. The staff members are arrogant asses and the owner is impossible to talk to. I even wonder how they survive with this kind of {censored} service.

Of course, my opinion above are based on my experience.

That's funny cause I've gotten pretty good service from Galaxy...they give me the best prices on strings by the box....needed when strings rust in less than two weeks.

Player sucks ass as far as I'm concerned. Small selection and pricey.

Tony's is good too. I've gotten good service from them and they probably have the biggest selection.

But really Guitars in Taiwan are over priced, and the stores are pretty {censored}. I've ordered all of mine from Japan cause there is just a way better selection and even with shipping and customs fees I end up with better guitars than what I could buy here. And christ are there any tube amps in this bloody country! Guitar stores don't even carry replacement tubes.

Oh yeah and OP the Taiwanese girls REALLY like westerners....have fun dude.

• Members

Where ever that Chatreoo guy on Youtube hangs out. He's in Thailand, I think. He reviews a bunch of different guitars, so many and so often that he must work for if not own a guitar shop.

that guys playin annoys me, same {censored} in all the vids,he shreds then quick yaps over & over,very bad demo-ing

• Members

That's funny cause I've gotten pretty good service from Galaxy...they give me the best prices on strings by the box....needed when strings rust in less than two weeks.

Player sucks ass as far as I'm concerned. Small selection and pricey.

Tony's is good too. I've gotten good service from them and they probably have the biggest selection.

But really Guitars in Taiwan are over priced, and the stores are pretty {censored}. I've ordered all of mine from Japan cause there is just a way better selection and even with shipping and customs fees I end up with better guitars than what I could buy here. And christ are there any tube amps in this bloody country! Guitar stores don't even carry replacement tubes.

Oh yeah and OP the Taiwanese girls REALLY like westerners....have fun dude.

I assume that you are a foreigner working here in Taipei.

Yes the stores don't carry tube amps often, probably because the regulations concerning this kind of stuff are quite stiff, not sure. But the stores have to pay big taxes when importing tube amps, as far as I know.

Speaking of {censored}, I consider 95% percent of stores I have been to are {censored}, comparing to the ones I have been in the US. I attended college in Boston, and hanged out at Daddy's often. Over there, I can play anything I want. Here? Forget it! Only that shop that I like allows me do that. There's some stores that don't even let me touch the instruments!

I consider Player the Walt-MArt or any grocery store of music shops. The staff are like those in Wal MArt, as far as I am concerned.

Tony does have the biggest selection indeed. But as I said, due to their large collection, some guitars are full of dust, while others have dead strings or badly set up.

Regarding Galaxy, I guess you are lucky. Many people, myself included, were not treated properly. I remember I asked for Yamaha guitars, and one staff gave me a scornful look and went "over there, can't you see?":mad:

And I heard many, MANY stories like mine.

Taiwanese chicks? No thanks. I much prefer Latin and Eastern European chicks. I am sad to say that girls in my country are shallow as {censored}.

Anyway, for whatever reason you are here, enjoy your stay bro.

• Members

I assume that you are a foreigner working here in Taipei.

Yes the stores don't carry tube amps often, probably because the regulations concerning this kind of stuff are quite stiff, not sure. But the stores have to pay big taxes when importing tube amps, as far as I know.

Speaking of {censored}, I consider 95% percent of stores I have been to are {censored}, comparing to the ones I have been in the US. I attended college in Boston, and hanged out at Daddy's often. Over there, I can play anything I want. Here? Forget it! Only that shop that I like allows me do that. There's some stores that don't even let me touch the instruments!

I consider Player the Walt-MArt or any grocery store of music shops. The staff are like those in Wal MArt, as far as I am concerned.

Tony does have the biggest selection indeed. But as I said, due to their large collection, some guitars are full of dust, while others have dead strings or badly set up.

Regarding Galaxy, I guess you are lucky. Many people, myself included, were not treated properly. I remember I asked for Yamaha guitars, and one staff gave me a scornful look and went "over there, can't you see?":mad:

And I heard many, MANY stories like mine.

Taiwanese chicks? No thanks. I much prefer Latin and Eastern European chicks. I am sad to say that girls in my country are shallow as {censored}.

Anyway, for whatever reason you are here, enjoy your stay bro.

Yep...doing the teaching thing. Love Taiwan. Love the heat. Cost of living is cheap...Money is good. Been here about 4 years and don't plan on leaving any time soon. Really got to work on my Mandarin though...it's just pathetic....to many people here are good at English so I've been lazy.

That's too bad. Sucks that people don't realize that you might want to give them money! And actually Galaxy were a little irritating when I went in to ask if they had replacement tubes. They looked like they'd never seen a tube in their lives...but I know they sell the rare tube amp now and again. And they looked at me like I was weird to want replacement tubes from a guitar shop!..LOL...but other than that one they've been good. And Tony's was the same with the tubes as well! One guy looked at it for 10 minutes then had a conference with all the other sales guys and finally they told me they didn't have any.

As for the chicks, I will admit there are a lot of Paris Hiltons here. Not a lot of interesting opinions floating around...but some how I think that's a global trend. And there are cool chicks here if you look in the right places, and not the expat bars. But yeah latin chicks are wicked too!

So Armitage...you still here? Enjoying yourself?

• Members

There's a nice little guitar shop over in Seacon Square (Bangkok). I haven't been there in a few years, but they get in some good stuff ever now and then..

Make sure you hit the Cowboy and Nana while you are there.. If you are into Jazz/Blues, take the BTS to Anusawari (I don't know the English spelling that well) station, there is a nice little club there..

Also, check out Thawandang in Bangkok.. Its a cool German brewery with great food, get the pork shoulder.. At Carabao plays there (I think he is part-owner) and they have a great Thai Elvis..

Also, watch out whatever those Vietnamese girls tell you in Phnom Penh.. Cheers.

• Members

Well I usually go to Taiwan every other summer to visit grandparents, so if you're ever in Zhong Li or TaoYuan in Taiwan, there are a lot of guitar shops within small distance of each other. I came across 5 shops in Zhong Li within 10 minutes of walking... that being said the shops are crappy compared to US and Canada mom and pop shops in my opinion. There's very little selection, and some of the salespeople are not knowledgeable at all. I did buy an Alvarez at one of the shops that played decently though (but I don't even think was a real Alvarez! haha). I'd recommend saving your purchases for Japan.

Anywho, enjoy (or hope you enjoyed) the amazing cheap food, the unforgiving heat, and going into a 7 Eleven every other store just for the air conditioning hahhahaha.

• Members

Come to think of it, the selection and price of guitars is far better in the US than in any of the Asian countries that I have been to (Taiwan is the only on your list that I have not frequented on a regular basis). I have found, however, if you purchase materials in Asia or have a custom guitar built, then you can work a good deal. But I know that imported items (and in several of those countries that manufacture a particular brandname, the "import quality" guitars) have tariffs so high that finding a good deal is virtually impossible.

• Members

Come to think of it, the selection and price of guitars is far better in the US than in any of the Asian countries that I have been to (Taiwan is the only on your list that I have not frequented on a regular basis). I have found, however, if you purchase materials in Asia or have a custom guitar built, then you can work a good deal. But I know that imported items (and in several of those countries that manufacture a particular brandname, the "import quality" guitars) have tariffs so high that finding a good deal is virtually impossible.

I'd have to disagree with this....at least in terms of Japan. The number of japanese brands is just staggering and the stores there will carry the american brands too. The same cannot be said in reverse. Just look at the inventories and pictures on line of shops in japan...they make places like guitar center look pathetic.

The price would be more for american and mexican in Japan obviously...but not for japanese brands. No way you could get a Bacchus or Edwards cheaper in america then japan. Hell if you could even find them in America. I mean check out Arkay's New Bacchus guitar day;

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2376698&page=3

And watch the factory tour....In my opinion a far superior guitar to a factory gibson and WAY cheaper priced in japan. Hell you can get them shipped from Japan and even with all the fees you'll probably still save a grand over a gibson.

If American guitars are what you want then you're probably right...but a lot of us don't want american guitars.

• Members

Yep...doing the teaching thing. Love Taiwan. Love the heat. Cost of living is cheap...Money is good. Been here about 4 years and don't plan on leaving any time soon. Really got to work on my Mandarin though...it's just pathetic....to many people here are good at English so I've been lazy.

That's too bad. Sucks that people don't realize that you might want to give them money! And actually Galaxy were a little irritating when I went in to ask if they had replacement tubes. They looked like they'd never seen a tube in their lives...but I know they sell the rare tube amp now and again. And they looked at me like I was weird to want replacement tubes from a guitar shop!..LOL...but other than that one they've been good. And Tony's was the same with the tubes as well! One guy looked at it for 10 minutes then had a conference with all the other sales guys and finally they told me they didn't have any.

As for the chicks, I will admit there are a lot of Paris Hiltons here. Not a lot of interesting opinions floating around...but some how I think that's a global trend. And there are cool chicks here if you look in the right places, and not the expat bars. But yeah latin chicks are wicked too!

So Armitage...you still here? Enjoying yourself?

Yep, since tube amps are not common here, the tube replacements might be hard to get. I got my Fender BJ 2 years ago, but due to the tight comunity I live in, I can only use it during weekend afternoon. And besides I am no tube purist myself, so I am not worried for spare tubes. And if you notice the most common amp used at live situation is Roland JC.

With the kind of service and collection we find here, I think it's better not to be too picky.

Oh yea I just recalled the cheesy Guitar Center. Don;t you think Player is a crappier Guitar Center? :cop:

Man, you totally nailed it about the chicks here. Paris Hilton is the best description about many chicks I find on the streets, esppecially in the Eastside District as we say (you know what I mean right?). The social phenomenom you see here is simply a caricature and more exagerated version of some things that you see in the US. Global yes, but what happens here is :facepalm: But not all chicks are like that of course. It's juts matter of find the right ones at the right places.

Do you teach at Kojien institute or something like that? Funny, you like here, but I miss Boston.

• Members

Well I usually go to Taiwan every other summer to visit grandparents, so if you're ever in Zhong Li or TaoYuan in Taiwan, there are a lot of guitar shops within small distance of each other. I came across 5 shops in Zhong Li within 10 minutes of walking... that being said the shops are crappy compared to US and Canada mom and pop shops in my opinion. There's very little selection, and some of the salespeople are not knowledgeable at all. I did buy an Alvarez at one of the shops that played decently though (but I don't even think was a real Alvarez! haha). I'd recommend saving your purchases for Japan.

Anywho, enjoy (or hope you enjoyed) the amazing cheap food, the unforgiving heat, and going into a 7 Eleven every other store just for the air conditioning hahhahaha.

Ah, I remember about the Zhong Li area. there are some shops, but not so good stuff. I may check TaoYuan though.

Archived