anyone try the xaviere guitar strings?

twotimingpete

• Members

Don't go cheap on strings. If you wipe them down after playing they should last quite awhile. Alot of your tone (if you have any :p) is in the strings. I prefer Dr's. Pure Blues or Tite Fits. IMHO, they sound the best on all my guitars.

It's not worth saving a few bucks to lose any chance at good tone...

• Members

Speaking of cheap strings, the
aren't too bad. Put em in two of my guitars last week and 1 out of the 12 strings was already dead. But the rest of em sound alright. Can't beat the price ($10 for 10 packs), but still prefer D'Addarios.

Can't agree. The Sam Ash sales guy told me they buzzed but I still bought a box to try because of the price. Guess what? They buzz especially on the wound D string. Makes a nice guitar sound like a Wal Mart toy. Maybe yours were from a different factory but I don't feel like taking a chance again on $1.00 strings. The cheap GHS sets from GC at about $3.00 a pack were much more usable.

• Members

Don't go cheap on strings. If you wipe them down after playing they should last quite awhile. Alot of your tone (if you have any
:p
) is in the strings. I prefer Dr's. Pure Blues or Tite Fits. IMHO, they sound the best on all my guitars.

It's not worth saving a few bucks to lose any chance at good tone...

That was really my point about the "cheap" strings. I mentioned d'addarios being $3 a pack - that's the sale price, and when they are on sale I stock up.

The savings on cheap strings just isn't worth it. There IS a difference in sound/tone and it's a not a good one. Also, d'addarios rarely break if you keep them changed and fresh.

So you save $1 or even $2 on a set of strings. Big deal. I change my strings every 3 gigs, sometimes that's 3 weeks, sometimes it's 2 weeks - regardless, saving $1 or $2 over that time period isn't worth it.

• Members

I didn't check the shipping cost of these, but I've found the shipping costs at Guitarfetish to be somewhat inflated. So unless you're buying other items or 10 or more packs, you're probably not saving much money over going into GC and buying a pack of D'darios or Ernie Balls.

For cheap strings, I'd rather just go with Webstrings. The only thing is that you only save money if you buy in bulk, which I don't tend to do (strings last me a long time).

• Members

Back when I used to gig a bunch, my guitars got new strings every week and I was playing .11's. I tried out everything available at the time and were always having issues with strings breaking (Ernie Balls), availability (Dean Markley's w/ unwound G), or tone (various off brands which were inconsistent and/or contained dead strings). I gave D'Addario's a shot and was happy with the tone, consistency, and resistence to breaking. I don't change my strings as often now but I still stick with D'Addario's as I buy them in larger quantities whenever they're on sale at around $3 a pop (as mentioned above).

• Members

They're probably made by Vinci or one of the other big companies. I remember back in the day some stores had their own brand.

If their good it may be worth it. I personally hae stuck with the same brand for about 15 years (Fender and if I can't get them EB) and their really inexpensive but they are probably worth checking out.

Some of those 'store brand' strings were pretty good due to the fact that they were made by a big company.

• Members

UPDATE: Alright, I just got some .011's and other parts in the mail and put them on my Strat. I'd say they're very respectful and worth the price, but nothing spectacular....but I wouldn't say they're below average either. They're better than some strings I've payed 5x the price for.

My thesis is: if you're ordering from GFS, feel free to add a couple packs to the cart, but don't feel obligated to "stock up" per se.

Archived