Ed Roman getting sued (again) - Mosrite this time.

aclarke

• Members

I just got an email about this from a friend (mosrite fanatic - Japan's full of them) - the lawsuit was filed about a month ago.

Link to the .pdf of the filing is here:

http://www.mosrite.us/en/article.php?id=47

Loretta Mosrite is suing Ed Roman and Filmore (the Japnese company that makes the Mosrites Ed sells exclusively in the states as "original Mosrites").

The basics: false advertising, false designation of origin, dilution, false or fraudulent trademark registration, common law trademark infringement and unfair competition, unfair or deceptive trade practices... and on.

:thu:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Actually, Loretta Mosrite has been marketing fake Mosrites for years.

Unfortunatly for her she does not own the Mosrite name. It is like if Leo Fender's kids (if he had any) sued Bill Schultz or Ernie Ball for making Fender or Music Man guitars.

This isn't the first time she has tried something like this. She really needs help.

• Members

Ed is stealing pics off the net trying to legitimise his crap..

this pic he has up

mndll3.jpg

here's the real pic and it's location..

Semi custom built all of Brian's Mosrite double necks..

http://brianlonbeck.com/photo-gallery

that's Brian with Barbara Mandrell from the 60's I've already notified him that he's being used on ER site..

Brian & Semie

semibrin.jpg

those Mosrite's are not real, he is making but imitations..

growing up I was lucky to meet Semie and this pisses me off..

huge fail...

• Members

Wait, if she acting on behalf of Mosrite company, how can they be "fake"? Wouldn't they, by definition, be real?

So any Fender made after 1965 is fake too, right?

Huh? Yeah, any "Fender" made by some entity that has no right to use the Fender trademark headstock/logo is a fake. Such is my understanding, at least. I mean, I'm no internet lawyer or anything....

• Members

I just got an email about this from a friend (mosrite fanatic - Japan's full of them) - the lawsuit was filed about a month ago.

Link to the .pdf of the filing is here:

http://www.mosrite.us/en/article.php?id=47

Loretta Mosrite is suing Ed Roman and Filmore (the Japnese company that makes the Mosrites Ed sells exclusively in the states as "original Mosrites").

The basics: false advertising, false designation of origin, dilution, false or fraudulent trademark registration, common law trademark infringement and unfair competition, unfair or deceptive trade practices... and on.

:thu:

This is typical Ed. If you look at the guitar brands he claims to sell on his website, and then check to see which of those brands actually think he's a dealer, you'll find that a good number of them disagree about his dealer status.

Ed Roman is a con man, plain and simple. And there's one sucker on this board that's fallen hook, line and sinker :thu:

• Members

Unfortunatly for her she does not own the Mosrite name. It is like if Leo Fender's kids (if he had any) sued Bill Schultz or Ernie Ball for making Fender or Music Man guitars.

This isn't the first time she has tried something like this. She really needs help.

Maybe it's just me, but you spend an amazing amount of time defending Ed on here lately. And it's not just this topic. :evil:

• Members

Maybe it's just me, but you spend an amazing amount of time defending Ed on here lately. And it's not just this topic.
:evil:

He may BE Ed. But I think it's much more likely that he's a sucker who has been duped by one of Ed's cons, and rather than own up to it and learn his lesson he's trying in vain to defend Ed. It's a fairly typical defense mechanism.

• Members

What, is BG76 not entitled to his own opinion? What a bunch of witch hunters. From what I've seen, BG76 contributes good content to this forum. So he's defending a guitar brand/shop that he likes, and that's reason to ban him?

I'm no Ed Roman fan, and I won't defend him. I think he's a douchebag, but I've actually dealt with the man when he had a shop here in CT. I had a bad experience with him many years ago and won't deal with him again. But, after all these years he's still in business, so he must have some loyal customers, some of which, judging by all the pictures on his walls, are big stars. So how many of you who trash talk his business practices have actually had any dealings with him? OK, now how many are just parroting {censored} they've heard on this or other internet boards? Hands down, I thought so.

• Members

mndll3.jpg

that's Brian with Barbara Mandrell from the 60's ....

Oh, for a second there I thought it was Goldie Hawn, and I was wondering what she had to do with Mosrite guitars.

Okay everyone, sorry about the interruption---you can go now back to hating/defending Ed.

• Members

This kind of thing happens ALL THE TIME.

A money losing company stops making a product.

The founder of the company dies.

The product begins to gain some life in the marketplace, but is commercially unavailable.

A third party applies for trademarks and intellectual property protection.

Since the original company is not trading and has no representatives or legal representation, the marks are approved. (When the USPTO publishes something for opposition- that is the extent of their due diligence)

Years later the correct, legal order of succession of the original company is established by the heirs.

A lawsuit is filed proving that the original founder of the company established prior art and prior commerce using these marks, and that the legal heirs to this company intend to resurrect the marks.

The courts find for the plaintiff.

Since in this case the company using thee marks NEVER paid for the, as bill Schultz did to CBS, there is no legal order of succession- it's just theft. Theft that has gone unpunished until now.

jay

• Members

I don't remember the source or exact info but I think the Mosrite name changed hands a few times before he died.

I think it's very unlikely that anyone in the states would commit that level of fraud or trademark infringement openly and knowingly. That would be business suicide.

• Members

Semie Moseley occasionally used the name "Gospel" For some of his guitars, Most notably in 1969 and 1970 when he had lost the Mosrite name to Sears. Due to this, There exist some Mosrite guitars with Gospel painted on the headstock, Or in some cases, Painted on a piece of plastic and bolted on the headstock. Semie also used the name Gospel in the 80s for a small line of guitars.

• Members

I think it's very unlikely that anyone in the states would commit that level of fraud or trademark infringement openly and knowingly. That would be business suicide.

You don't know Ed. Fraud is his middle name.

And it has been business suicide - he went from running what was probably the biggest music store in the country (East Cost Music Mall) to being chased out of the state by lawsuits and losing most of his dealerships except fender & subsidiaries.

Archived