Is your Les Paul too light?

solly

• Members
dont you play it before you buy it? if it was too light when he played it would he buy a different lp

I'm mystified by this Les Paul weight thing. My V100 is heavier than my Pacifica 112, but it doesn't feel that heavy. When I was looking at LP's, I tried a Jim Deacon LP, and it felt like a boat anchor. But on the "my les paul" forum, they describe the V100 as "a heavy beast". http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/other-les-pauls/51808-vintage-v100-les-pauls-2.html

It's lighter than my six string bass, despite that bass being all neck with a small body.

Surely I don't have a fake V100 :p

• Members

9lb on the nose, with no weight relief holes.. If you wanna here sustain, then this is the guitar. The neck joint plays a big part in the overall sound of a Les Paul.( Not weight ).

The stiffer the join the better and in many custom shop Les Paul's it's because of the longer neck tenon.

This baby naturaly sustains for a month of Sundays.( Click for link ).

• Members

dont you play it before you buy it? if it was too light when he played it would he buy a different lp

just so theres no confusion, this isnt my guitar. I found this that thread and thought id share in the laughs.

• Members
What a dumb... weight does NOT equal tone/sustain/etc...

Actually it does have an impact. I experimented with a Dean V baby that I own once with quarter rolls. With just one roll of quarters there was more sustain. Since I had taken out the neck pickup previously I stuck the roll in there. I then used rubber bands to attach one quarter roll more to each horn. The tone changed again. Even more sustain. Not only that, the E.Q. curve changed. It seemed to gain midrange. I'm not sure why. I was going to add a roll of quarters to the headstock for a total of four to see what that would do but I was all out of quarters. And I didn't try to get anymore because I was afraid it might hurt the guitar. Then I took the quarters off and the sound was back to normal. It seems to have more harmonics and a more woody sound with out the quarters. But this is something that you can do easily just to see what it sounds like. Play it like that 30 minutes then take them off and you'll hear a difference. It does increase sustain. And the tone does change. More than you would think. Some might like it. Some might not.

Archived