Growing old gracefully?

Engl Kramer

• Members

OK its the big 40 next year and I think maybe I should start listening to MOR and playing 'proper music' on my grown up guitar.

Last year I bought a Jackson Kelly (pointy black explorer) and was enjoying it until I caught my reflection in the window at night and realised that maybe I should have stopped playing guitars like this back when I couldn't get away with wearing tight trousers anymore!

I should point out that I look my age, have no hair on the top and I'm a fat bastard.

Thing is I'm a dyed in the wool Metal player and I was either having a mini mid-life crisis or just missed rocking a proper Metal ax.

I'll never stop playing the kind of music I do cos its in my blood, but I'm now conscious of having a bit of dignity and not being an embarassment to everyone:lol:

The reason I'm telling you all this is cos I was wondering if any of you can realate to this and what advice/ words of wisdom you might like to share.

Please be gentle you young uns- it happens to us all one day!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If you have the right frame of mind, 40 can be the age when you're just hitting your prime. I went through similar feelings to yours when I hit 30 - but, for whatever reason, I felt younger at 40 than I did at 30. My life really kicked off in interesting and exciting directions at 40. I was fortunate in that I could pass for much younger but hey, who says you have to look young?

• Members

Yeah true, thanks for that.

Part of it is a state of mind I'm sure.

I've always respected older musicians for their experience and a certain kind of cool that can bring (B Gibbons being an obvious example, Zappa, etc etc).

Its something I'm usually pretty cool with but as time goes by, extra adjustment is needed.

Also I have kids, the great levelers!

• Members

:lol:

yeah. Better than the car thing too.

When I was in my late 20s I binned all my cool tour shirts cos I thought I should grow up and not be so cliched.

I've started buying them now on the not so common occasions I go to Metal shows and I wear them with pride.

That is to say, I know I look like a sad old git, but it feels good to be my own kind of sad old git.

• Members

Dude have you seen some of the old 80's bands recently? Testament? Slayer? Maiden? They look like old {censored}in dudes playing metal. And they are still rockin. Yeah a part of me kind of chuckles when I see them but at the same time watch Flight 666 from maiden. Man those dudes are still tight as ever and full of energy.

There are no rules for this {censored}. Just have fun. And besides...since when did any proper metal head give a {censored} what anyone else thought of them?

• Members

OK its the big 40 next year

I should point out that I look my age, have no hair on the top and I'm a fat bastard.

I'm now conscious of having a bit of dignity and not being an embarassment to everyone:lol:

The reason I'm telling you all this is cos I was wondering if any of you can realate to this and what advice/ words of wisdom you might like to share.

Please be gentle you young uns- it happens to us all one day!

Kids.

I can relate to this.

I've been 40 at least 19 times already.

I left the UK for a new life in Asia when I was 42

I got married when I was 45.

I redefined my life style completely in terms of direction, exercise, diet and spirituality after turning 50

I took up guitar again when I was 56.

So what did I learn?

1) 40 ain't that old these days. Life is not all 17-25.

2) NEVER worry about what other people think - if you enjoy it and it does no harm to anyone else, get on with it.

3) With a bit of luck, 40 is about halfway for most people. If you think you are getting old, think about what you did so far and imagine having the same amount of time still to come.

4) Watch out for the sudden urge to buy a Ferrari and a blonde to fit in it. This will pass.

Oh and Happy Birthday.

• Members

Dude have you seen some of the old 80's bands recently? Testament? Slayer? Maiden? They look like old {censored}in dudes playing metal. And they are still rockin. Yeah a part of me kind of chuckles when I see them but at the same time watch Flight 666 from maiden. Man those dudes are still tight as ever and full of energy.

There are no rules for this {censored}. Just have fun. And besides...since when did any proper metal head give a {censored} what anyone else thought of them?

All true, but-

Saxon:facepalm:

I'm fully metal believe me- but no-one wants to be a laughing stock!

I saw Death Angel in London (for the 5th time) recently and they were cool as you like with pointy ESPs etc.

I also saw Sacred Reich and Phil Rind told everyone to take it easy in the mosh pit cos "20 years ago if we went down we got back up, now you'll need an ambulance!"

• Members

Kids.

I can relate to this.

I've been 40 at least 19 times already.

I left the UK for a new life in Asia when I was 42

I got married when I was 45.

I redefined my life style completely in terms of direction, exercise, diet and spirituality after turning 50

I took up guitar again when I was 56.

So what did I learn?

1) 40 ain't that old these days. Life is not all 17-25.

2) NEVER worry about what other people think - if you enjoy it and it does no harm to anyone else, get on with it.

3) With a bit of luck, 40 is about halfway for most people. If you think you are getting old, think about what you did so far and imagine having the same amount of time still to come.

4) Watch out for the sudden urge to buy a Ferrari and a blonde to fit in it. This will pass.

Oh and Happy Birthday.

Thanks!

The trouble is I feel old!

You're right though, I think this may all hint at a need to make some more substantial lifestyle changes.

• Members

I don't think there's anything wrong with 40 somethings (or anybody any age) playing pointy guitars. Pointy guitars are not my thing, but they do make sense for metal. I like metal, yet I gave up trying to play it a long time ago. For those that can play metal well, I applaud them. :thu:

• Members

All true, but-

Saxon:facepalm:

I'm fully metal believe me- but no-one wants to be a laughing stock!

I saw Death Angel in London (for the 5th time) recently and they were cool as you like with pointy ESPs etc.

I also saw Sacred Reich and Phil Rind told everyone to take it easy in the mosh pit cos "20 years ago if we went down we got back up, now you'll need an ambulance!"

Holy {censored} death angel...haven't heard that name in a while....I loved Bored.

I did laugh a bit when I saw testament about a year ago. Fat {censored}ers...but they really put on a pro show.

• Members

I don't think there's anything wrong with 40 somethings (or anybody any age) playing pointy guitars. Pointy guitars are not my thing, but they do make sense for metal. I like metal, yet I gave up trying to play it a long time ago. For those that can play metal well, I applaud them.
:thu:

I didn't say I was any good!

I sold the Jackson. Truth be told it wasn't really doing it for me anyway, but I think my pointy days are over:lol:

Used the money to buy one of these-

which I love- pretty Metal anyway right?!

• Members

OK its the big 40 next year and I think maybe I should start listening to MOR and playing 'proper music' on my grown up guitar.

Last year I bought a Jackson Kelly (pointy black explorer) and was enjoying it until I caught my reflection in the window at night and realised that maybe I should have stopped playing guitars like this back when I couldn't get away with wearing tight trousers anymore!

Thing is I'm a dyed in the wool Metal player and I was either having a mini mid-life crisis or just missed rocking a proper Metal ax.

I'll never stop playing the kind of music I do cos its in my blood, but I'm now conscious of having a bit of dignity and not being an embarassment to everyone:lol:

{censored} that!

6609_111062978878_512618878_2152905_6678

Signed,

An Embarrassment to Everyone

PS-- a few weeks ago I asked my 12-year-old son something or other about my hair or clothes or guitars or something being too young for me or something along those lines. His response: "You're never too old to rock!"

Yep, he's a Krashpad all right.

• Members

Hey man, I'm 55 and I still rock the house with regularity...

I play classic and oldies rock, some country.. whatever..

The young kids crap themselves when they see a 55 year old that can rock as hard or harder than they can

Its all good .. Enjoy your guitar.

Branch out a bit to give yourself more options.

Picking up a cheap bass and learning to be a decent bass player is always good. Its gotten me more work thats for sure.. Just enjoy, and find guys your age that like to play your kind of music... Metal was NEVER a big money maker on the local club scene.. Not as much as other forms

. Its harder to be a metal guy on a local level I would think, if you are looking to work, but there are plenty of metal heads your age that love to play it still. EVERYONE gets old, ugly, bald, whatever... Part of who we are.

As the Who once said in a song...

"Pick up my guitar and play-Just like yesterday,then I get on my knees and pray" bob

• Members

Haha, see the Strat in the avatar?

His sister has already got her first bass, a couple weeks ago, a nice Peavey USA Foundation.

6380_1213490217317_1230650648_629341_513

6380_1213490177316_1230650648_629340_517

The family that rocks together... um... well... rocks together!

That's so awesome Krash, I wish my kids were more into playing music. They're still young so I haven't given up on the idea. Don't want to push it them, y'know?