I played a roadworn 50's strat today.

amplifiedrhythm

• Members

And it absolutely breaks my heart to say that I absolutely loved it.

It played like a dream, the neck was very easy to play on, very broken in, the pickups just sounded old, and the guitar has a nice satin feel to it. If this guitar wasn't reliced in a factory, than I would buy it in a heartbeat.

It really was a nice guitar, I don't care what anyone else says.

• Members

I'm one of those people who finds it easy to believe that roadworn strats are nice players... but I'm personally not interested in the mass produced nature of the concept.

If there was a bit more "randomess" to the aging or even "different" levels of aging available... but when I see 3 or 4 next to each other with EXACTLY the same wear marks... its just not for me.

I'd maybe like one of the necks from a roadworn model to put on a normal body... that might be nice!

M

• Members

I'm one of those people who finds it easy to believe that roadworn strats are nice players... but I'm personally not interested in the mass produced nature of the concept.

If there was a bit more "randomess" to the aging or even "different" levels of aging available... but when I see 3 or 4 next to each other with EXACTLY the same wear marks... its just not for me.

I'd maybe like one of the necks from a roadworn model to put on a normal body... that might be nice!

M

I agree with you. The guitar's neck was my favorite part.

• Members

To each his own, but if it played well and sounded good, what does it matter that it was factory reliced?

If I found an ax I liked playing, I'd play it regardless of what it looked like.

This is interesting. A couple days ago I started jazz classes at a school, and one guitarist has a zakk wylde signature Les Paul. He said "don't judge me, this guitar has a great neck and it sounds really jazzy through a Roland JC-120."

Sure enough, he had better tone than me. Just goes to show ya, I guess.

• Members

M

If the finish is nitro anyway, your guitar should look unique in no time.

Just curious: do you oppose the idea of seeing say 3 or 4 non reliced sunburst strats right next to each other?

• Members

To me

the interesting part-

is that I'm no big fan of the Tex Mex pickups -

but yet I'm always hearing good reports about these guitars from folks whose opinions I value.

I have a JV (w Tex Mex) which I like in some respects for its sharp articulation, but something about these road worn series (from the reports) really seems to add more warmth and depth to those p'ups than the JV.

I wonder what the pixie dust is.

• Members

If the finish is nitro anyway, your guitar should look unique in no time.

Just curious: do you oppose the idea of seeing say 3 or 4 non reliced sunburst strats right next to each other?

No... I see each "new" guitar as a canvas... ready to be painted with the scratches, dents, and play wear each owner gives it.

As far as REAL vintage guitars are concerned I love them... but don't own any right now.

I did have the chance to play a real '63 through a vintage blackface super reverb... wow... did THAT sound good. Exactly what you want your classic strat sound to be.

But the guitar itself was a little hard to play, especially since I was unfamiliar with the vintage radius and the thin vintage frets.

When I got home to play my "modern" strat, it didn't have quite the same sound... but the neck felt much better in my hands and was far easier to play bends.

M

• Members

When the RWs came out I was one of the biggest critics. The first ones I tried had fret sprout so bad they'd shred your hands in seconds, and I just didn't like the cookie-cutter fake wear. But a couple days ago I had a little time to kill and went into the store and tried one out and actually liked it. It played like a worn-in glove and sounded good. I still think the wear is over done and looks fake, and I wouldn't give $900 for them, but when they go on sale for $600 I think they would be a great buy.

• Members

I think the point of the roadworn series is to be a bed for which one to build on. Give it a year of hard playing, and it would look like nothing else.

I played a Tele today, and it had a really great meaty tone. I don't really dig the relicing, but the tone was fantastic, especially considering the price.

• Members
This is interesting. A couple days ago I started jazz classes at a school, and one guitarist has a zakk wylde signature Les Paul. He said "don't judge me, this guitar has a great neck and it sounds really jazzy through a Roland JC-120."

Sure enough, he had better tone than me. Just goes to show ya, I guess.

There you go, and good for him.

I tried a RW tele, fwiw, and wasn't impressed with the feel or sound. Some people love 'em, and that's great. I have a cheap ass SX tele that I'm really loving the feel and sound of lately... so I reliced it. :)

• Members

It'd be cool if Fender made non reliced nitro guitars like these at lower prices. I mean it wouldn't cost that much more would it -- and if they're already screwing the environment with these, might as well do it with full nitroed bodies.

See man, I do LIKE the look of 'em, and they do play well, BUT the $900 price is ridiculous, IMO. They should have the same price as Standard MiM, or maybe $50 more (AT THE MOST).

I can't imagine it costs that much more to produce them, and THIS ISN'T A JAB AT RELICS, but wouldn't the quality control issues be LESS with these ax's? I mean if the finish isn't perfect, who would know or care?

Archived