Samick guitars??

cincy_cosmo

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

i've never really liked samick guitars,

but last night i started to play a bass of my friend's - a samick. I was stunned. It plays as good and the craftmanship is as good as any Fender MIM model.

Maybe he got lucky? I dunno. But it rocks my world.

• Members

Samick has multiple factories, in multiple countries, and make and have made guitars for MANY brand names, so it would be hard to compile a short list. Also, many companies will switch sources for the same model from run to run, so something made by Samick for a while could easily be made by Cort or whatever factory the next go round.

PRS SE guitars say clearly on the back of the headstock that they are made by World Music of Korea, but maybe they are a Samick company, or a division of Samick. The Dillion folks claim to have their own factory, but a lot of off brands claim this as well, so I find it dubious. I am fairly certain that Dillion uses the same facility as MIK Tokai(which may well be Samick-anyone know?)for some of their guitars, as in their own dealer literature they sent to our shop, some photos clearly show guitars labelled Tokai.

• Members

Originally posted by cincy_cosmo

Anyone own one? What are your preceptions and experiences?

I traded in a drum set, keyboard, amp, and three guitars in on a Samick acoustic electric, and it was honestly one of the {censored}tiest guitars I've ever owned, or played. :( It was a huge mistake.

• Members

I bought a Samick SG-450 (?, not sure about the model #) used a few years back. Perfectly acceptable SG copy. Very comparable to the Epi G-400 (61 SG, small pickguard, etc.). Usual complaints (pots got scratchy and input jack flaky after a few years of regular play; no biggie to me, so I'll fix it when I feel like it).

• Members

I have an AV3, which can go up against most epi standards, and better the the LP 100 and specials.

Honestly the Greg bennetts are nicer than the old samicks. I bet the Korean-made ones are huge... they've been getting rave reviews all over.

however here they only stock the lower-end indonesians.. :(

• Members

I have a 2004 335 copy and its a VERY well built guitar.

the stock pups are VERY generic, but the neck and most of the stock hardware is fine for a non gigging player

the finish is outstanding, not a mark onnit. and i got it for less than the OE30's everyone seems to love.

• Members

Because Samick has made so many guitars under their name and NUMEROUS others, its pretty safe to say they know what they are doing. They must 'build to spec' fairly well because they are the largest guitar manufacturers in the world, now anyways. Give it a couple of years and the Chinese will probably take those honors away from them.

I have 2 Samick named guitars now, and they are very good, notwithstanding the bargain prices I paid.

Out of the box, the Samick Malibu MB-1 start copy is the best fitting/feeling guitar I've ever had. Delivers typical expected strat sounds/tones. I held out until I found a maple fretboard model.

I also have a Corsair maple fretboard P bass copy which was pretty beat up when I got it. I refinished it and it is one of my favorite basses for stage. Lightweight, balanced and decent range of tones for a P style.

• Members

Originally posted by Sonnilon

I traded in a drum set, keyboard, amp, and three guitars in on a Samick acoustic electric, and it was honestly one of the {censored}tiest guitars I've ever owned, or played.
:(
It was a huge mistake.

What the heck did you trade in? All that for a samick guitar?

Unless . . .

"Drum Set"

brandsonsale-store_1915_281180866

"Keyboard"

B00022IBP2.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1124914

"Amp"

417699.jpg

"Guitars"

plush_fuzzypink.jpg

FWIW, I like my Samick Acoustic-Electric. It's about 10 years old and it cost $250 new. :p

• 3 months later...
  • Members

i recently gutted my av3 to replace the stock pups with SD59s.

although it's made in indonesia, the switch, pots, bridge (sung il) are all korean. wonder where the wood is from though.

i'm not sure if the lower-specs models are using korean hardware too, or chinese.

• 1 month later...

Archived