Whats the best string based on price, how long it lasts, and sound quality.

02-fatboy

• Members

Ok so I have been thinking about this one for a while now and wanted to get a bunch of people opinions as to what they think and use. By the way I am sure this one has been done somewhere once before but I just wanted to get some feedback for myself from others.

3 catagories are.

Electric strings- I find that for all of my electrics DR's seem to be the best string on the market as far as price sound and longevity goes. I usually pay about 6 or 7 dollars a package and they don't seem to rust or turn brown after a month like other strings I have used. I think they sound good and they are very nice to bend with.

Classical strings- I have tried alot of different classical strings and I honestly think that the Martin classical strings are probably the best string if don't want to spend alot of money they are about 5 to 6 dollars a package. However after recently switching to Savarez classical strings I have decided that I will not longer put martins on my classical. Sure the Savarez cost 13 to 15 dollars a package but they seem to last longer than the Martins, and they definitely sound better, so for the extra money it seems worth it.

Acoustic strings- Ok so once again I would have to say that if your on a budget the martin acoustic strings seem to work great and are generally around 6 or 7 dollars a package. However I am a really big fan of the Elixir phosphur bronze nano webs. I don't like the polywebs because the coating it to thick. But on the Nano webs you I don't have a problem also the phosphur bronze seems to pick up a little bit of what seems to be lost by the coating. Generally the Elixirs are around 13 to 16 dollars a package but they seem to last quite a while and they are much easier on your fingers. Ocassionally I have noticed the coating comes off the strings and makes a mess but this is more so with the poly web vs. the nano web.

Any input would be great this is just my opinion and my findings over the years.

By the way I hate Ernie Ball strings and fender bullets, the both seem to dull out in sound and corrode after a few weeks even under minimal playing.

Also all my findings are for minimal playing maybe a couple hours a day on different guitars. If you gig steadily or use the same guitar for an extended period of time you may find different results. Please do share them. Plus there are so many strings on the market I haven't had a chance to try and price them all. These are just the ones I found most effective that I have used or use on a regular basis.

Either way please share with the rest of us your opinions.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never had a problem with strings corroding. My other guitar player however kills strings much sooner than I. People's individual skin acidity and chemicals do crazy things to strings.

I use Ernie Ball and love them. If they don't work for you it doesn't mean they're junk. It just means they're not the string for you. By you I mean any individual. I'm not trying to start a fight with 02-fatboy.

• Members

Thanks for this thread and your excellent post. I find that the type of guitar that benefits the most from having excellent - and expensive - strings are the classical (nylon). That's where it really makes a huge difference between a cheap set and the most expensive ones. The sound, dynamics, clarity,etc. simply can't compare. I just recently decided to switch to Savarez Corum Alliance strings on my nylon and I can't put that guitar down. A joy to play and hear. They cost four times as much as the cheaper set and worth every penny.

For electric flatwounds, i like thomastik Infeld. and for other electric, i don't really know what the difference it makes. i use EB these days. As for acoustic, I just have been using D'Addario Phosphore for so long, i just can't imagine switching to something else.

• Members

Yer i love my ernie balls. I use the 9-42's super slinky at the mo, will move onto 10's soon. As for my acoustic i use a brand of strings that no one has really heard of.They are cheap and don't smell! Some acoustic strings start to smell up your fingers ya know.

• Members

My fingers corrode strings very quickly, so I'd say Elixer Nanowebs win out in all categories. I can get months out of them depending on usage, and they feel and sound very close to regular strings. If you've got several guitars and my not be playing some of them frequently, they're a real godsend. On my acoustics I'll occasionally put something else on (particularly if I'm recording), but I still use the phosphor bronze nanowebs 90% of the time. For electrics I don't see myself ever buying anything but Nanowebs.

On my classical guitar I just buy D'Addarios. I use that guitar so rarely it's literally years before I change strings. I don't really have any brands to compare to.

• Members

What can i say, i love my Ernie Balls! I use Hybrids (9-46) on my trem guitars and Not Evens (12-56) on my non trems.

for acoustics i use D'Addario Medium Uncoated 80/20 Phosphor Bronze.

I've never had problems with corrosion on Ernie Balls. Maybe you just live in a humid climate, corrosion happens easily with humidity. :idk:

• Members

I used to love my D'Addarios when I was playing out a lot. I felt that the string lasted the longest in time v. tone. Some other brands, like DR for example, sound "newer" for longer, but when they die - they DIE. That's it. There's very little...warning...you could say.

Now, thanks to the recession, I'm having to purchase the cheap stuff. So I've been using Ernie Ball and GHS, just depending on what's in stock in the gauge I need (use 12's). That said, I find that while they're not my FAVORITE brand, they do the job as well, but don't last nearly as long.

I don't really believe in buying strings online, but with the prices rising locally and dropping online...I may start buying soon. We'll see.

Acoustic and Classical I have no preference. Hell, nylon strings last till I bust one, THEN I'll change the set. And that's not often.

• Members

All this being said. I know that people have there favorite brand strings. I am not saying cheap strings are bad and I am certainly not trying to pick a fight with anyone. As it is apparent alot of people like elixirs. I love them for my accoustics but I can't stand them on my electics??? Why that is I have no idea?? I don't have anything against Ernie balls. They work fine and they last a while. I just find that DR's last longer for me. For a set of Ernie balls to corrode it takes a few months.

I have over 18 guitars and I play them all just not at once. I find that with DR's I can not play a guitar for a month and come back to it and the strings are usually fine. With Ernie balls and fender bullets thats not always the case.

Yes DR's can go flat after a while, however I have found fender bullets and martins terrible for doing this. Ernie balls are ok they just aren't for me. I feel like I have to do string changes more often with them.

The DR's I use are nickel plated with a round core. They definitley took getting used to at first but now that I have switched I really like them. It seems like every time I go to a store to buy a set of DR 10's they are out of stock so I decided to post this thread thinking maybe alot of other people were using them too???

I can't remember the last time I saw Ernie balls out of stock? Elixirs seem to be out of stock every now and again. It pissed my off I had to special order 4 sets of DR 10's this week because two of the music stores I frequent were out.

I can't say that I have seen Ernie Balls at almost every music store I go to but I don't think I can say the same about DR's. Not sure if as many people like them have never tried them. Most places sell elixirs too.

I would have to say Elixirs and Ernie balls might be a more popular string?? Not sure though?

• Members

I used to use super slinkys, then one day at guitar center, I noticed the coated ones. They are ten bucks. I bought several packs of the standard supers and one of the coated. I then put the coated ones on my mim strat (which i have never cleaned the maple fretboard on, its all dirty and there's body cheese lining the frets, you can sorta see it in my avatar. It's gross I know but that guitar is one of those perfect playing ones that you luck out on. I love the grime!) so anyway even with the horrendous nasty-ness lining the frets these have stood the test of time. This was like 3 months, 5 or 6 gigs, and probably 20 practices ago. They still are shiny and sound very nice. They stay in tune and feel great. I still have 3 crinkly packs of super slinkys in my stuff bag. I don't work for ernie ball er nothin but I know where my extra money went. Still, 10 isnt too bad for strings, at least strings that last a really long time. So if we're talkin electric I cant reccomend them highly enough. Even if you don't like ernie balls, these are different and much better. I've heard the acoustic ones are the bunk though.

• Members

The DR's I use are nickel plated with a round core. They definitley took getting used to at first but now that I have switched I really like them. It seems like every time I go to a store to buy a set of DR 10's they are out of stock so I decided to post this thread thinking maybe alot of other people were using them too???

I recently switched to those after using Ernie Ball 10s for the longest time and I really liked the feel of them

Archived