Thoughts on a guitar body made frm solid maple?

rakester

• Members

My dilemma is I have a nice piece of maple that I thought would be cool to make a simple 'heavy rock' guitar out of.

Real simple lay put ( 1 humbucker (EMG 81) in the bridge, 1 volume knob and a string through body bridge )

Probably not worth it if it's going to be mega bright?

• Members

I have an old Hamer Vintage S that's got a solid flame maple body. Everyone tells me it should be horribly bright but it's actually fairly mellow.

I've got a couple of old Kramer Pacers and 1 Baretta in solid maple and they are heavy as {censored}, sustain for days, and are actually quite warm sounding. I agree. Now I have an alder supertele with a 1/4" maple top and that one is bright and crisp, like you would expect.

Go figure???

• Members

My dilemma is I have a nice piece of maple that I thought would be cool to make a simple 'heavy rock' guitar out of.

Real simple lay put ( 1 humbucker (EMG 81) in the bridge, 1 volume knob and a string through body bridge )

naw dude, build yer guitar. if it's bright just stuff a dark sounding pickup in it

• Members

Why wouldn't you install a tone knob?

I would rather have a very bright guitar I could tone down, than a dark one that not even a wide open tone knob could help.

• Members

Why wouldn't you install a tone knob?

I would rather have a very bright guitar I could tone down, than a dark one that not even a wide open tone knob could help.

The idea I had behind it was just a very very simple setup, as basic as possible...

1 Volume Knob

String through bridge

1 HB pickup

A real back to basics 'one trick pony' hard rock guitar. Just starting to question myself on the wood choice.

• Members

The idea I had behind it was just a very very simple setup, as basic as possible...

1 Volume Knob

String through bridge

1 HB pickup

A real back to basics 'one trick pony' hard rock guitar. Just starting to question myself on the wood choice.

That's cool and there's always the amp's tone knob so why not? Have at it!

• Members

I've got a couple of old Kramer Pacers and 1 Baretta in solid maple and they are heavy as {censored}, sustain for days, and are actually quite warm sounding. I agree. Now I have an alder supertele with a 1/4" maple top and that one is bright and crisp, like you would expect.

Go figure???

Interesting. I have an alder Roxie (IIRC w/maple top & neck, tough to tell through all that flake) that's super-bright and very very heavy. Way more so than the Hamer. The Hamer's bridge pup is actuall a little muddy (but its a Hot Rails so that's probably part of the problem) but the mid & neck pups (Cool Rails) are very smooth.

• Members

My '97 Parker Nitefly has a solid maple body. It is the same thickness and weight as an average USA Strat. It's not overly bright. The neck has an epoxy/resin/glass shell over the basswood neck and that composite plays a part in the tone. I wonder how it would sound with an all maple neck?

• Members

electra LP copy - heavy as hell, not bright at all

ric 450 - lightest guitar I've ever held, rather bright

I would think the weight and sound has more to do with how it's constructed and what kind of pups are in it

• Members

The man has a point. But I'd think that if you were worried about brightness an EMG 81 is just about the last pup you'd want to use.
:confused:

Yeah thinking about it an 81 would be a pretty bad choice haha.

Anyways I'm gonna go ahead and start the build on it, I'll put up a thread tomorrow documenting it. How does this sound then a solid 1 piece maple body with a center inlay of purple heart running through the middle?

:)

Archived