So, are New York Pro Strat Guitars the same as SX SST guitars?

Orange Jackson

• Members

I own one NYP strat and one SX strat...not a large sampling. Based on what I have seen on this forum and held in my hands, I would say they are NOT the same. I say this for no other reason than the necks; besides the obvious appearance of heavy, amber-tinted gloss on the SX vs. the pale, satin finish on the NYP, the frets on the SX are about twice the size (yes I exaggerate). None of the above BTW makes either neck superior.

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

• Members

I was wondering about these knock-offs... Since the hardware and electronics are easily replaced on Strats, how are the bodies? For that price, I suppose they are laminates? Or just parts like Fenders?

well the sx guitars are pretty much like a fender body, same type of wood, lines, and so on.

the maple necks have a glued on maple fingerboard, which is a little weird, but not a big deal.

You can do a google search on sx sst guitars and you'll have a days worth of reading material. There is not much out there on the NYP strats though.

• Members

I own one NYP strat and one SX strat...not a large sampling. Based on what I have seen on this forum and held in my hands, I would say they are NOT the same. I say this for no other reason than the necks; besides the obvious appearance of heavy, amber-tinted gloss on the SX vs. the pale, satin finish on the NYP, the frets on the SX are about twice the size (yes I exaggerate). None of the above BTW makes either neck superior.

DSC_0086.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

there are actually two levels of NY Pro. a standard and a more deluxe line that retails for about $10 more. the slightly spendier ones have better necks and frets.

• Members

The reason I asked anyway was that I saw a LPB NYP strat and thought it looked kind of spiffy.

If it was the same deal as a SX then I might have gone for it. But I like a little bigger fret so I think I'll pass.

nyp_strat_blue_full.jpg

that's the one with the nicer neck. i don't remember if it had bigger frets, but it might. call the vendor and ask.

• Members

The reason I asked anyway was that I saw a LPB NYP strat and thought it looked kind of spiffy.

If it was the same deal as a SX then I might have gone for it. But I like a little bigger fret so I think I'll pass.

nyp_strat_blue_full.jpg

that looks pretty damn nice. I remember wanting that color MIJ squier back in the mid 80's and never got one.

• Members

This is the dist.

http://www.loucapecemusic.com/

I have owned a couple of them 2 strats and a tele ..All of them had good necks.Good feel..Prces seem to be all over the place with them.From $130-240..

$130 is about the right price.Local PawnShop sells them..I bought 2 of them there like 4-5 years ago..they were like $130-140.Went into Pawn shop recently and they were selling them for $180 now..Same damn guitar..And they raised price $40 ..I picked up a used on Craigs for $40

• Members

I have a rule about copy guitars.

I must be able to see the wood grain through the finish otherwise you have no idea what yhou are getting.

I always get guitars with see through finishes and review the woods for the right grain type - I once bought a Sears guit fiddle and it was Laminated and NEVER again.

Just played with my neighbor and he continues to be impressed with the tone, playability, look and tunage of my Agile guitar.

Siloquy - you are getting a great PS-924WE Tribal Green.

• Members

Archived