Harmony Central Forums
Announcement
Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, are New York Pro Strat Guitars the same as SX SST guitars?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, are New York Pro Strat Guitars the same as SX SST guitars?

Same parts, pickups, pots, everything but headstock?

made in the same factory?

couldn't tell you. My daughter's "Girly Monster" was a New York Pro before I modded it. Actually a very decent strat knock off for the price. I am going to swap out the tuners for klusons. I did the pickguard assembly before giving it to her years ago.
    SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

I own one NYP strat and one SX strat...not a large sampling. Based on what I have seen on this forum and held in my hands, I would say they are NOT the same. I say this for no other reason than the necks; besides the obvious appearance of heavy, amber-tinted gloss on the SX vs. the pale, satin finish on the NYP, the frets on the SX are about twice the size (yes I exaggerate). None of the above BTW makes either neck superior.

Originally Posted by wedgehed II

Instead of searching for intelligent life in the universe, NASA should send a probe to this thread.

Comment

I was wondering about these knock-offs... Since the hardware and electronics are easily replaced on Strats, how are the bodies? For that price, I suppose they are laminates? Or just parts like Fenders?
        It stimulates, regenerates
        It's therapeutic healing
        It lifts our feet up off the ground
        And blasts us through the ceiling

HEAVY METAL

Comment

I was wondering about these knock-offs... Since the hardware and electronics are easily replaced on Strats, how are the bodies? For that price, I suppose they are laminates? Or just parts like Fenders?

well the sx guitars are pretty much like a fender body, same type of wood, lines, and so on.

the maple necks have a glued on maple fingerboard, which is a little weird, but not a big deal.

You can do a google search on sx sst guitars and you'll have a days worth of reading material. There is not much out there on the NYP strats though.

Comment

I own one NYP strat and one SX strat...not a large sampling. Based on what I have seen on this forum and held in my hands, I would say they are NOT the same. I say this for no other reason than the necks; besides the obvious appearance of heavy, amber-tinted gloss on the SX vs. the pale, satin finish on the NYP, the frets on the SX are about twice the size (yes I exaggerate). None of the above BTW makes either neck superior.

there are actually two levels of NY Pro. a standard and a more deluxe line that retails for about $10 more. the slightly spendier ones have better necks and frets.
            The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

The reason I asked anyway was that I saw a LPB NYP strat and thought it looked kind of spiffy.

If it was the same deal as a SX then I might have gone for it. But I like a little bigger fret so I think I'll pass.

Comment

The reason I asked anyway was that I saw a LPB NYP strat and thought it looked kind of spiffy.

If it was the same deal as a SX then I might have gone for it. But I like a little bigger fret so I think I'll pass.

that's the one with the nicer neck. i don't remember if it had bigger frets, but it might. call the vendor and ask.
                The Common Sense Mets Fan

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge." - Isaac Asimov, Newsweek (21 January 1980)

Comment

FWIW, I bought a NYP mandolin and it was unplayable due to uneven and rough frets.

Comment

that looks pretty damn nice. I remember wanting that color MIJ squier back in the mid 80's and never got one.
                    SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

This is the dist.
                      http://www.loucapecemusic.com/
                      I have owned a couple of them 2 strats and a tele ..All of them had good necks.Good feel..Prces seem to be all over the place with them.From $130-240..
                      $130 is about the right price.Local PawnShop sells them..I bought 2 of them there like 4-5 years ago..they were like $130-140.Went into Pawn shop recently and they were selling them for $180 now..Same damn guitar..And they raised price $40 ..I picked up a used on Craigs for $40

Comment

I have a rule about copy guitars.

I must be able to see the wood grain through the finish otherwise you have no idea what yhou are getting.

I always get guitars with see through finishes and review the woods for the right grain type - I once bought a Sears guit fiddle and it was Laminated and NEVER again.

Just played with my neighbor and he continues to be impressed with the tone, playability, look and tunage of my Agile guitar.

Siloquy - you are getting a great PS-924WE Tribal Green.
                        Finally learning to enjoy something besides metal......and it Hurts!

Comment

there are actually two levels of NY Pro. a standard and a more deluxe line that retails for about $10 more. the slightly spendier ones have better necks and frets.

It makes me wonder about someone who would think... I'm not going to blow another $10 on a better neck and frets.

M
                          Check out my music if you like:
                          michaelsaulnier.com

There's LOTS of crazy stuff there!

Comment

Working...
                          X