Epi Elitists: Believe the hype?

Spike Li

• Members

That cheap gibson vs expensive epi thread got me thinking: Are those Epiphone Elitists really as good as everyone keeps saying?

Now some of you may not have picked up on this, but there seems to be a few small circles of guitarists who seem to have a brand name bias- whether it be for or against an expensive (quality/overpriced) brand such as Gibson, or a cheaper (great value/crappy) brand such as Epiphone.

Some people would love to think that a cheap(er) Epiphone LP would be better than a Gibson, and vice versa, but all bias aside (if thats possible), are these guitars really that good? Im more aiming this question at people who have owned one, but Im interested in what anyone has to say.

• Members

Just look at the specs of Elitists

Bookmatched maple top ( No veneers at all)

Bookmatched mahogany back

One-piece mahogany neck set at the 16th fret

Long Neck Tennon

Gibson USA Alnico Pickups

Bone Nut

Grover Tuners

Gibson Hardware

Correct 17 degree Headstock angle

Hardshell case

Excellent Japanese Construction. In some regards the Epi Elitist are truer to Gibson spec than some Gibsons.

I have had the chance to play two elitist ( a Standard and a custom), and they felt and played much better than the Gibsons in the same price range. Given that you can still occasionally find these for under a grand, they are a remarkable deal.

look at the maple top on this elitist ( Well its an Domestic Epi Japan, but they were same thing except the domestic had a Gibson Headstock for the Japanese Market)

dsc00816.jpg

• Members

I have an Elite Broadway...which is a huge jazz box. The top is solid spruce that has the grain lines so close together that it's almost impossible to count them. If each line is supposed to be a year...than this piece of wood has to have come from a tree that was at least 200 years old and grew someplace that was slow and uniform like the top of a mountain crowded among other trees. The flame that makes up the back and sides is very 3-D and if you look at it closely, you can see every individual cell of the wood. It looks like a fine undulating cloth up close. I think it was a fantastic buy for $1,400 which is what I paid used. I didn't like the pickups much and swapped them for Burstbuckers. I ended up using the Epiphone pickups in a solid body instead and they sounded way better there. I also should mention that the 3-way switch crapped out after a year and I had to replace it....but other than that I love the guitar.

I'd love to snag an Epiphone Elite Byrdland for the smaller size but they don't seem to show up on Ebay a lot and when they do they tend to be expensive.

• Members

I have an Elite Broadway...which is a huge jazz box. The top is solid spruce that has the grain lines so close together that it's almost impossible to count them. If each line is supposed to be a year...than this piece of wood has to have come from a tree that was at least 200 years old and grew someplace that was slow and uniform like the top of a mountain crowded among other trees. The flame that makes up the back and sides is very 3-D and if you look at it closely, you can see every individual cell of the wood. It looks like a fine undulating cloth up close. I think it was a fantastic buy for $1,400 which is what I paid used. I didn't like the pickups much and swapped them for Burstbuckers. I ended up using the Epiphone pickups in a solid body instead and they sounded way better there. I also should mention that the 3-way switch crapped out after a year and I had to replace it....but other than that I love the guitar.

I'd love to snag an Epiphone Elite Byrdland for the smaller size but they don't seem to show up on Ebay a lot and when they do they tend to be expensive.

There are a couple Elitist Byrdlands on gbase right now. :idk:

• Members

I've never played an elitist but the elitist is a direct decedent from the standard Orville model.

Pluses are non chambered bodies, and long neck tenons on the epi/orville. Minuses (in my opinion) are multi piece bodies, and poly finish. I know the orvilles use japanese pickups and electronics but someone posted above that the elitist uses american pickups so bonus if that's true.

I have an orville by gibson...the model slightly higher than the standard orville/elitist....difference being nitro and US electronics. I have compared it to a few factory Gibson standards traditionals and classics and it was EASILY as good...and IMO better. So the Elitist will get you close for sure.

As someone mentioned though it really is about playing them and seeing what you think. Having said that I would trust an orville/elitist sight unseen...I wouldn't a factory USA.

• Members

I think it's a bunch of hype. Considering regular Epis play and sound just about as good as Gibsons.... I don't see how an Elitist can be that big of a deal.

I've played a couple of Elitists and they were great....... but didn't strike me as being way better than regular Epis or Gibsons.

As an owner of both Gibsons and Epiphones (non-Elitist) I have come to realize that there's a lot of hype over quality differences.

They're all great guitars. Just get the one you like and plug it into a good amp and you'll rock. :thu:

• Members

I've never played an elitist but the elitist is a direct decedent from the standard Orville model.

Pluses are non chambered bodies, and long neck tenons on the epi/orville. Minuses (in my opinion) are multi piece bodies, and poly finish. I know the orvilles use japanese pickups and electronics but someone posted above that the elitist uses american pickups so bonus if that's true.

I have an orville by gibson...the model slightly higher than the standard orville/elitist....difference being nitro and US electronics. I have compared it to a few factory Gibson standards traditionals and classics and it was EASILY as good...and IMO better. So the Elitist will get you close for sure.

As someone mentioned though it really is about playing them and seeing what you think. Having said that I would trust an orville/elitist sight unseen...I wouldn't a factory USA.

Actually the Elitist have USA electronics. They also have 2 piece backs, which I'm sure most Gibsons are 2 pc as well.

• Members

I think it's a bunch of hype. Considering regular Epis play and sound just about as good as Gibsons.... I don't see how an Elitist can be that big of a deal.

I've played a couple of Elitists and they were great....... but didn't strike me as being way better than regular Epis or Gibsons.

As an owner of both Gibsons and Epiphones (non-Elitist) I have come to realize that there's a
lot of hype
over quality differences.

They're all great guitars. Just get the one you like and plug it into a good amp and you'll rock.
:thu:

Coop, I think its more about the build quality and solidarity with the elitists that give them the edge. On paper the specs of the elitist are undoubtedly better than than the standard epi fair, you can't really argue that. Plus they weren't priced much higher than regular epis. So in essence they can't be any worse, only equal or better. I don't own an elitist, but the ones I have played have felt more substantial than the regular epis I own.

• Members

Believe the truth not the hype. I recently bought a elite (first year of production, before they changed the name to elitist) les paul and its probably the best sounding and playing guitar i've ever played. It sounds amazing. best 300$ i've ever spent.

also the pick ups are usa made. if you want more info on the elite/elitist line checkout the les paul forums (i think its called mylespaul?) they are a very knowledgeable bunch.

• Members

People talked about them, but they were more of a close guarded secret. Most people see a 1,000 epiphone and go " I'm not paying that for a crappy Epi, Im gonna git me'r Gibson"

So a lot of people just shrugged them off, but the few that bought them loved them. They were kinda a hard sale, so they would pop up on ebay for ridiculously cheap. I almost got a gorgeous standard for $600:cry: man I regret not getting it

• Members

I have a 57 Goldtop elitist. its solid and sounds amazing. I have never heard it sound bad. When I went to buy it i had a gibson lp standard in my hand and i saw my guitar on another rack. I plugged em both in and ripped for a while and walked out with epi. I doesn't say gibson on the head stock but she's a a les paul through and through!

• Members

I have an elitist lp... which cost me (new) about the same as a gibson lp studio would have... and which has a resale a couple of hundred bucks less... but I played both for about 2 hours at a music store and couldn't bring myself to walk away with the gibson lp... despite having that headstock that I've always wanted... but I'm happy. I have an epi lp std too and it's actually really good quality too... once I scraped off all the gunk the previous owner left on it. eek.

• Members

Actually the Elitist have USA electronics. They also have 2 piece backs, which I'm sure most Gibsons are 2 pc as well.

Good to know about the electronics. I guess fujigen wanted to slightly improve the elitist over the discontinued orvilles when they re labled. As for the body thing I don't think so. Pretty sure standard series and above are all one piece bodies on USA factory models. Perhaps Studio's are multi piece?

• Members

If I were going to shell out the money for an Elitist I would want it to have Epiphone pickups and hardware. I have read a lot of threads about Gibson pickups not working, etc....

About Gibson electronics in an Epi guitar?

What?

Your post confuses me sir.

:poke:

Archived