I need help deciding...

grunge782

• Members

Maybe this?-

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/ESP-LTD-MH1000-non-trem-Electric-Guitar?sku=518619

I'm sick of {censored}-footing around and I want to stick with 1 main FIXED 6 string guitar for high gain no more than 1500 but more than 500ish I guess.

I need it to have good hardware like locking or very precise tuners and a very good bridge. I also don't want the nut to be skimp, a Graph Tusq or Earvanna something along those lines. 24 fret, good access, set/neck through if possible and I want it to feel great without any damn tuning or buzz problems. And I'm replacing the pickups pretty much no matter what.

No V's or shapes that hurt/struggle balancing sitting down either.

And no, I'm not buying a Gibson or PRS. I can see spending a lot for more rock/shred even blues oriented music, but for high gain I want to stick just with one kick ass guitar in a reasonable range.

Can you guys point me in the right direction?:wave:

• Members
ab3500tribalblue1a.jpg
Perfectly balanced solid Alder body is contoured for comfortable play
Two active humbuckers and a single coil help reduce hum and noise by offering superior performance and giving a thicker fuller sound than single coils alone
Two tone and one volume control are recessed into the body
These controls plus a five way pickup selector switch let you create limitless tonal variety!
Angled headstock helps increase the tension of the string on the Graph Tech Nut and therefore helps transfer string vibration to the guitar for superior sustain
The Tune-O-Mattic brige with string-thru-body design also helps increase sustain
Increadibly fast bolt on Maple neck
Neck joint is sculpted for comfortable play
24 jumbo frets and Ebony fretboard with adjustable trus rod and Abalone dot inlays
Sealed black Grover tuners with 18-1 ratio for ultra fine tuning (Grover model 102-18B)
Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"
Scale length: 28"
Tuning on this guitar is B,E,A,D,F#,B
GHS String sizes are 1st: 013, 2nd: 017, 3rd: 026, 4th: 036, 5th: 046, 6th: 060
Actual Weight is only 8 lbs. Guitar measures 41" in total length

$450

http://www.rondomusic.com/ab3000tribalblue.html

Damon

• Members
ab3500tribalblue1a.jpg
Perfectly balanced solid Alder body is contoured for comfortable play

Two active humbuckers and a single coil help reduce hum and noise by offering superior performance and giving a thicker fuller sound than single coils alone

Two tone and one volume control are recessed into the body

These controls plus a five way pickup selector switch let you create limitless tonal variety!

Angled headstock helps increase the tension of the string on the Graph Tech Nut and therefore helps transfer string vibration to the guitar for superior sustain

The Tune-O-Mattic brige with string-thru-body design also helps increase sustain

Increadibly fast bolt on Maple neck

Neck joint is sculpted for comfortable play

24 jumbo frets and Ebony fretboard with adjustable trus rod and Abalone dot inlays

Sealed black Grover tuners with 18-1 ratio for ultra fine tuning (Grover model 102-18B)

Width of the neck at the nut: 1 5/8"

Scale length: 28"

Tuning on this guitar is B,E,A,D,F#,B

GHS String sizes are 1st: 013, 2nd: 017, 3rd: 026, 4th: 036, 5th: 046, 6th: 060

Actual Weight is only 8 lbs. Guitar measures 41" in total length

$450

http://www.rondomusic.com/ab3000tribalblue.html

Damon

It all sounds good on paper, but a big problem is fret leveling and dead notes. Quality control is huge in my book and I'm not so sure about their quality control.

However I guess thats what testing and returns are for. I hate going by the price index because very expensive guitars can suck balls. Its just such an unsure market, I want to be able to put my money into something good that satisfies everything.

And to be honest I have no use for the tons of tone controls in high gain. I want the pickup only going through the volume pot to have a pure signal.

• Members

Looks beautiful, the specs on these guitars look great for the price. I've been dying to have a JB too. Whats funny is that a Caparison uses the same exact nut as some of these Schecters. What I don't understand is for like 100 dollars you could put Schaller locking tuners and CTS pots in one of these and the specs should be about the same. Yet people scoff at this idea.

My guess is the standards of testing, you can get a couple (or a lot) of buggers with Schecter guitars. However why the hell should I pay +1000 dollars for someone to more closely check the frets/action/intonation? I think its {censored}ing sad and disgusting seeing the monstrous split in price between guitars.

• Members

This Carvin is about $1,000... probably doesn't NEED new pups, but since you're going to anyway... if you like flames, quilts and such, you can get them for just a little bit more... but this would look great with Duncan Blackouts imho. You will find these frets perfect, and these necks exceptionally fast and solid.

cs3-main.jpg

This is only $1,350.

cs6-main.jpg

M

• Members
This Carvin is about $1,000... probably doesn't NEED new pups, but since you're going to anyway... if you like flames, quilts and such, you can get them for just a little bit more... but this would look great with Duncan Blackouts imho. You will find these frets perfect, and these necks exceptionally fast and solid.

cs3-main.jpg

This is only $1,350.

cs6-main.jpg

M

Carvins are a crazy good deal. I have to get over their body designs, for some reason I just hate them.

• Members

Jesus Christ Diceman, stop with the corts! I played one for like 10 seconds and wanted to smash it into the ground.

Haha, there seems to be an excessive amount of love and hate for Agiles. I owned one once a long time ago and I was very unhappy with it which makes me skeptical about them now.

• Members

That would be a very nice ESP Ltd and certainly tons better then the rondo music guitars. Lol. Other brands worth checking out would be Schecter and Jackson, maybe Ibanez. For what you seem to be wanting for nice nontrem guitars in the price range that are fairly conservative body shape wise. Only BC Rich that might fit imo would be the classic deluxe eagle. $749.99 at MF.

• Members

You have to live with it... so you get to choose what you like, and what you don't... that's cool.

ESP's are nice.

I'd also look at the new Charvel's... if you like that sort of thing.

M

I'm trying to understand, what exactly makes ESP's so much more superior to LTD's?

I saw an alexi LTD vs. an ESP and the only difference if I remember correctly was the gotoh tuners and possibly the bone nut. How does that justify a 1000 dollar difference?

• Members

That would be a very nice ESP Ltd and certainly tons better then the rondo music guitars. Lol. Other brands worth checking out would be Schecter and Jackson, maybe Ibanez. For what you seem to be wanting for nice nontrem guitars in the price range that are fairly conservative body shape wise. Only BC Rich that might fit imo would be the classic deluxe eagle. $749.99 at MF.

I have a BC Rich and the body shape is just getting to me. Thats why I'm thinking of going back on the market again.

I really wish I could just play one of these Agiles to just see and end what all the hype is about. I personally don't believe it after my experience with a strat like guitar.

I really like the Iceman, but I'm not sure about it. One guy said it was really heavy and uncomfortable to play.

• Members

If you want to spend that much, I suggest looking for a used Jackson Soloist SL2HT (USA) or a new SLS3 (pro series). Both neck through designs.

USA Soloists are seriously nice instruments. You should be able to find one in your price range. The SLS3 is nice also.

• Members

cs3-main.jpg

This is only $1,350.

cs6-main.jpg

M

Aesthetically, I prefer these two guitars to the pointy ESP you were considering. Note: this is purely my own, subjective disdain for sharp guitars and has nothing whatsoever to do with specs or sound or feel since I have played none of them. Good luck!

• Members
I have a BC Rich and the body shape is just getting to me. Thats why I'm thinking of going back on the market again.

I really wish I could just play one of these Agiles to just see and end what all the hype is about. I personally don't believe it after my experience with a strat like guitar.

I really like the Iceman, but I'm not sure about it. One guy said it was really
heavy and uncomfortable to play

Very subjective. LPs and Beasts are Heavy to some people, others prefer them. May want to try for yourself. :thu:

• Members
Jesus Christ Diceman, stop with the corts! I played one for like 10 seconds and wanted to smash it into the ground.

it's not a Cort,it's an Agile {censored}head.you played one for 10 seconds huh?:rolleyes:what is you're problem?i mean realy,does my taste in gear bother you that much?or do you want to {censored} me and this is your attempt at grade school heckling and flirting?either way GET OFF OF MY NUTTS MOTHER{censored}ER!!!:mad:...oh,and since you mentioned it...

EVL-K4_4.jpg
KX_Custom_SBB_4.jpg
X-Custom_HT_BK_4.jpg
M600T_BBB_4.jpg

all of the Corts pictured above have EMG's or Duncan's and well within your price range...

Damon

• Members

I'm trying to understand, what exactly makes ESP's so much more superior to LTD's?

I saw an alexi LTD vs. an ESP and the only difference if I remember correctly was the gotoh tuners and possibly the bone nut. How does that justify a 1000 dollar difference?

binding and bling...that's about it...

Damon

• Members

:blah::blah::blah:...a guitar is wood,strings,and electronics...end of story.the up side to spending more is that "most" of the time you don't have to get fret work,etc. done...unless of course we're talking Fender or Gibson,they seem to have the most expensive headstock logos on the planet:poke:

Damon

• Members

If you want to spend that much, I suggest looking for a used Jackson Soloist SL2HT (USA) or a new SLS3 (pro series). Both neck through designs.

USA Soloists are seriously nice instruments. You should be able to find one in your price range. The SLS3 is nice also.

Yeah I was looking at the SLS3, seems great but I had a friend who had a soloist and the hardware problems killed him. He bought it for around like 1000 had to sell it for a mere 400.

Archived