Who was the greatest Eagles guitarist?

evh1984

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I won't say he's the greatest, but when I saw the Eagles very early in their career (opening for Yes) Bernie Leadon blew us all away when he rocked the house on electric slide banjo through a distortion pedal. That stood out in my memory more than anything from their set that night.

• Members

I won't say he's the greatest, but when I saw the Eagles very early in their career (opening for Yes) Bernie Leadon blew us all away when he rocked the house on electric slide banjo through a distortion pedal. That stood out in my memory more than anything from their set that night.

I'm guessing most of those voting for Walsh (sigh...) or Felder must not have even heard of - much less heard - either of the first two albums. The Eagles-sans-Bernie, starting with On The Border, became the ultimate sellout-pop band. Those first two albums were priceless though.

It's kind of ironic that the Eagles are probably best known for Hotel California.

• Members

I'm guessing most of those voting for Walsh (sigh...) or Felder must not have even heard
of
- much less
heard
- either of the first two albums. The Eagles-sans-Bernie, starting with On The Border, became the ultimate sellout-pop band. Those first two albums were priceless though.

It's kind of ironic that the Eagles are probably best known for Hotel California.

So? Why can't people like both era's of music? Why can't I like "Hotel California" and "The Eagles"? Why can't I dig "Take it Easy" (from their first album) and also "I Can't Tell You Why" from The Long Run? One of the highest selling albums of all time was their first Greatest Hits album which had a ton of material from their first two albums that you laud so much...so plenty of people have heard their music with Bernie.

"Take It Easy"

"Witchy Woman"

"Peaceful Easy Feeling"

"Desperado"

"Tequila Sunrise"

All of the above were from the first two albums. I'm sure everyone here has heard these before...yet they still voted for Felder. Hmmm...

Hate to break it to you, but when they put out that first album and offered it for sale to everyone, they sold out then. They sold out when they were simply Linda Ronstadt's back-up band. When they were paid for what they did...they sold out.

Please understand, "selling out" isn't a bad thing. It just means they're getting paid to do what they do. Just because you and I don't get paid that much for music doesn't mean we wouldn't grab for that brass ring if it was dangled in front of us. If they paid me like 60K a year to play for Shakira you bet your ass I would sell out...in a heart beat. :D

• Members

I never have the chance to see Bernie Leadon play.

I have seen Felder completely blow the rest of the band off the stage in 1995, made Walsh look like some stuffy sideman. That man played like the one who needed the money the most and was having the most fun. A totally electrifying performance and the rest of the band worked hard to keep up.

Anyone who saw the more recent Eagles tours without Felder was totally ripped off.

• Members

Not a fan of the Eagles (something about their vibe turned me off) but I have to give it to Felder simply for writing the music for "Hotel California."

I've played it dozens of times, either at jams or by request at covers gigs, and even though I don't own any Eagles albums (nor do I plan to), that song is still a freakin' blast to play.

• Members

I've gotta go with Joe Walsh. I really respect Don Felder, great player, but when you hear Joe play you KNOW it's Joe. His style is instantly recognizable. I'm not sure I would recognize Felder in a context outside of the familiar Eagles stuff. That being said, Don has great chops, is super tasteful and always has great tone. Joe is Joe. An original. The two of them together rivaled Duane and Dickey.

• Members

I saw a video of a recent Eagles' tour and they hired a saession man to play Walsh's parts. Walsh played mostly chords and made faces.

Bernie Leadon is also excellent, but Felder is my fave. If the Eagles are best known for Hotel California, they had Felder to thank for writing the music to that song.

However, Frey and Henley's egos are repulsive.

• Members

One Of These Nights is my favorite Eagles album and One Of These Nights and I Can't Tell You Why are two of my favorite 'guitar songs' by the Eagles so I'd have to say Felder overall, but Leadon seems like the guy who is the most like me.

I'd love to hang out with either of them for a day or two and hear some stories. :thu:

Of course, Joe Walsh is a hoot and a half but his personality and life experience is pretty much the polar opposite of me. I will say that he puts on a hell of a live show and folks that only know him from the two Eagles songs and maybe the three solo/James Gang songs they play on the classic rock stations are missing out on what he can do... but he's no Don Felder.

Steuart Smith is a beast of a player, but he doesn't really count as an 'Eagles guitarist' in my book though my guess is if you gave Leadon, Felder and Smith 10 songs to learn in three days than none of them had ever played, Smith would sound the best on those songs.

• Members

Joe walsh.. i saw his gig on claptons cross roads.. still plays.. and has had a really nice career with his solo work.. i consider his solo work to surpass his work with the Eagles by miles... barn storming is a good example.. and his work in the james gang GREAT STUFF!

• Members

I'm guessing most of those voting for Walsh (sigh...) or Felder must not have even heard
of
- much less
heard
- either of the first two albums. The Eagles-sans-Bernie, starting with On The Border, became the ultimate sellout-pop band. Those first two albums were priceless though.

You mean the ones where they sounded like The Flying Burrito Brothers without the soul, or Poco without the energy? Yeah, I remember those....

Archived