SSS or HSS on a Strat type axe...what say you?

diceman1000

• Members

as some of you may know i'm planning on doing a pup/electronics ipgrade on my TTM Slayer.i can't decide if i want to convert it to an SSS or keep it HSS.if i convert it it will get BG's in it,V 60's or fatties...if i stay HSS it will get BG's also eith a hellabucker,smokestack.or maybe even a lizard bridge humbucker...what to do,what to do...

Damon

• Members

If you need a humbucker, get a humbucker.

It you are somebody who sticks with the neck and middle pickup then go with the bridge single.

I think humbuckers or p90's are much better for the bridge position, but I have to admit that the s/s/s is such an iconic configuration on the strat that the humbucker just doesn't look right, even if it sounds right.

Having a humbucker on a strat is kind of like drawing a moustache on the mona lisa, not musically but in an artistic sense.

• Members

Well... depends. Do you want the brightness of a single coil in the bridge, or the rounded hard-rock sound of a 'bucker?

You could always get a good coil-split humbucker, as well. Best of both worlds :)

• Members

Well, if I could only own one guitar, it would most definitely be a strat with either H/S/S or possibly H/S/H, if I could get a neck pickup that split exceptionally well. I've never played one yet though. The Unbucker is supposed to be pretty tits though.

But... since you already several guitars, just go with whichever you want. Get some good pickups if you convert. I have a neck BG Vintage 60 and it sounds outstanding through a good tube amp. Not my favorite, but certainly up there with the other big boys, most of which cost more.

• Members

Since it's already HSS I'd leave it like that but I do generally prefer single coils only or humbuckers only. Mixing them is always kinda problematic when it comes to volume levels etc.

that's the thing though...if i buy a complete pick guard assembly that's SSS it should fit...i would think anyway:idk:

• Members

The only reason I say HSS is that there are soooo many options for the bridge humbucker, that you can get a pickup that, when split, can approximate the single coil bridge sound. Also, there are hum-sized P90's that can really shine in a strat.

• Members

I would go for the SSS, because if I remember right you don't have a guitar with a single coil bridge pup, am I right?

If you don't, I think that would be good for when you want a totally different sound.

(And I also may be biased because I'm gassing for a SSS Strat right now :p)

• Members

I would go for the SSS, because if I remember right you don't have a guitar with a single coil bridge pup, am I right?

If you don't, I think that would be good for when you want a totally different sound.

(And I also may be biased because I'm gassing for a SSS Strat right now
:p
)

you are correct sir...i can split the hums in my cort,but we all know that's not the same...i kind of like the hum sized p90 idea though...hmmm...

Damon

• Members
you are correct sir...i can split the hums in my cort,but we all know that's not the same...i kind of like the hum sized p90 idea though...hmmm...

Damon

I love the sound of a P90 in a Strat. I have a GFS Mean 90 in my MIM Strat and it's my main guitar. It's got a nice growl to it, with a fatter tone that I like, but still Stratty.

Archived