Essay time again!

RaVenCAD

• Members

Gentlemen - and I do use that term exceedingly loosely - it is time for another essay. This time, my task is to write about a problem, offer 2-3 possible solutions, refute them, and explain why I think my solution is the best. I've chosen over-harvesting of exotic hardwoods used in guitar making. I realize that the furniture industry is a much larger consumer of hardwoods, but I don't give a {censored} about furniture. So, guitars it is.

So, when I need to ask of you fine (ahem) people is for some factual data NOT FOUND AT WIKIPEDIA.. (we're specifically banned from using Wiki due to the entire potential bull{censored}-ish nature of the site..) Journals, tree hugger websites (.orgs, mostly) or anything else you can contribute will be greatly appreciated.

Some things I'm looking for are specific species wood that are endangered or banned, (such as Brazilian rosewood) hard numbers on the tons of woods consumed anually, and information on renewable hardwoods that are being farmed. Data on successful wood farming would be helpful too.

One of my possible solutions is the use of composites like carbon fiber and plastic. This one I'll refute by talking about the lack of acceptance by traditionalists and purists because they don't sound nor look like classic instruments. So anything you have on synthetic guitars would be great.

This is kind of open-ended, but I hope some of you understand what I'm asking for. If not, thanks for reading anyway.. :wave:

btw, my topic is not up for debate. My task is to choose a problem and attack it with solutions and convince you, my reader, to buy into it. My stance in this essay is that the guitar playing world needs to embrace more renewable sources of wood and leave the old growth stuff alone. Agree or disagree, I don't care. My task is just to present an argument.. I'm sure most of you agree that I can do that quite well.. ;) :poke:

• Members

.gfghh

now there is the kind of input that'll really help me out.. :thu:

Dimmy, you've been very agreeable lately.. Are you feeling ok? Not been body-snatched and replaced by some sort of "row-bot" have you? With frickin laser beams on your head?

dr-evil-photo.jpg

(can you tell what movie somebody watched earlier tonight?)

• Members

now there is the kind of input that'll really help me out..
:thu:

Dimmy, you've been very agreeable lately.. Are you feeling ok? Not been body-snatched and replaced by some sort of "row-bot" have you? With frickin laser beams on your head?

dr-evil-photo.jpg

(can you tell what movie somebody watched earlier tonight?)

maybe:confused: Really its been you comming to your senses:thu::lol:

• Members

So if I understand you correctly:

PROBLEM

The traditional woods used in fine guitarmaking are becoming scarce or endangered.

SOLUTION 1

Replace these woods with man-made materials such as carbon fiber.

SOLUTION 2

Replace these woods with other more common and easy to replenish woods.

etc, etc, etc...

You should be able to get stats on various wood species from any university library. Are there any near you?

Also, look up articles by George Gruhn related to the CITES treaty (I think that is spelled right). Bob Taylor has also written about this in past issues of Wood and Steel magazine, the Taylor Guitars promo rag - check their website for articles.

• Members

not sure raven , but you might find it difficult to get hard true factual numbers .. the reason im thinking that, is that alot of the timber is being harvested illegally, and smuggled out of the countries...

I think it was last winter here in canada that our canadian forestry services (tree police..lol.) were trying to hunt down and find out who was responsible for "poaching" (the term they used) maple trees on Indian reserve land, apparently the trees stolen off the land were rare birds eye maples...

so im just saying that we cant control it here so i assume the problem is even greater in third world nations ...so I think any numbers you do find might be way off , since I think no one really knows how much the black market trade is harvesting and smuggling out behind law enforcements back so to speak...

here are some links to tree poaching articles

Link to Canadian national Broadcasting News service - Link

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/10/04/bc-maplepoachers.html

link to another article - Link

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/rss/article/648342

sorry i cant find you anything more pertanent to what your looking for raven but maybe you can find some use for this stuff..:idk:

• Members

Here's a definition of CITES as referenced on Taylor's website:

CITES: stands for Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (of Wild Fauna and Flora); this organization, which boasts a membership of 145 countries, bans commercial international trade in an agreed-upon list of endangered species, and regulates and monitors trade in others that might become endangered.

The 1992 CITES treaty prohibited the harvesting and exportation of coveted Brazilian rosewood. Although this coveted tonewood is not indigenous to the Amazon rainforest, the rapid depletion of the species and the lack of a re-forestation program eventually led to a treaty by which Brazil is prohibited from harvesting and exporting its rosewood. The Brazilian rosewood Taylor uses to make guitars is "pre-treaty" wood that has been curing in log form for many years.

http://www.taylorguitars.com/guitars/reference/glossary.html

• Members

not sure raven , but you might find it difficult to get hard true factual numbers .. the reason im thinking that, is that alot of the timber is being harvested illegally, and smuggled out of the countries...

I think it was last winter here in canada that our canadian forestry services (tree police..lol.) were trying to hunt down and find out who was responsible for "poaching" (the term they used) maple trees on Indian reserve land, apparently the trees stolen off the land were rare birds eye maples...

so im just saying that we cant control it here so i assume the problem is even greater in third world nations ...so I think any numbers you do find might be way off , since I think no one really knows how much the black market trade is harvesting and smuggling out behind law enforcements back so to speak...

here are some links to tree poaching articles

Link to Canadian national Broadcasting News service -
Link

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2007/10/04/bc-maplepoachers.html

link to another article -
Link

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.com/rss/article/648342

sorry i cant find you anything more pertanent to what your looking for raven but maybe you can find some use for this stuff..
:idk:

Illegal harvesting, that's a great angle for the part I'm going to do about the public (us) decreasing demand for these woods.. Less demand = less incentive to harvest illegally. :thu:

• Members

we do alot of renovations in office towers, and its sad that alot of the exotic wood furniture and wall paneling on fancy rich corporate office floors just gets tossed out when they feel its time for a new renovation or office space makeover...such a waste, and i think it all gets written off in their taxes so they have no incentive to stop this sort of wasteful practice....

anyway i mentioned this once before in these forums so thats all i wanna say is corporate north America needs to be more enviro-conscious ..

• Members

MusicWood Coalition

You could check out what you can find on pernambuco wood.

great link dale,

just read some of it , wow 80 percent of northamerican sitika spruce is being shipped to asia to build houses, what a waste of a 250 year old tree to turn it into a lousy 2x4 stud hidden in some wall..

• 5 years later...

Archived