The new Laney Cub 10 (10 Watts tube amp)

Misha

• Members

Its says on the back: "Designed and engineered in U.K." // It's made in China though...

I saw the new Laney Cub 10 for the first time yesterday and gave it a try.

Specs:

Power RMS: 10 Watts

Inputs: 2 : Hi & Lo

Equalisation: Tone Control

Other control: Gain knob

Preamp Valves: 2x ECC83

Output Valves: 2x 6v6GT

Class: A/B

Speaker connections: 8 - 16 Ohm external speaker socket

Drivers: 1x Celestion Tube 10

Weigh:t 8.25 Kg

width: 365mm

Height: 355mm

Depth: 220mm

I was in a hurry so I couldn't test it a lot but what I've heard was nice!

It's different from the Vox AV4TV. It has better cleans (better??? different...!) but doesn't have a built in attenuator. It can be pretty loud!

The price tag was 309$ CAD.

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=cub10

[YOUTUBE]Lmvq63A08nk[/YOUTUBE]

Did some of you tested it already? What do you think about it?

I'm very tempted to buy it though if it has no reverb!

• Members

I saw it yesterday and they told me they just unboxed it! It's a new product!

I think I'm gonna go try it tomorrow with my tonebone Trimode and a delay pedal! I'm curious to try it with a reverb pedal too.

From what I've heard, it compares nicely to the Fender Pro Junior but is cheaper, has a Celestion speaker and a gain knob.

There is a 5 Watts version too (The Cub 8 with a 8'' speaker), it has two tubes intead of four

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Misha, your pussy(cat) got bigger, hasn't it?

The kitten pic on your guitar was one of the cutest thing I've seen in a while!!!!!

Anyhow - how's the amp? How does it compare to your valvetronix 50?

Geez I thought this thread was dead!!

I have 3 little kittens... 7 weeks old! Two are about to leave for their new home though!

-----------------------------------------

The amp! My Laney! :love:

I love it!

Sometimes I plug my guitar into the VT50 and the Cub 10 at the same time! :p

The VT50 has more headroom because it's 50 watts and has a 12'' speaker. However, for the purity of sound, I prefer the Laney! It also responds more dynamically than the Vox. Even if I'm not an advanced player, the warmth of tubes is there and I like it.

If I turn the gain knob, I can get a nice crunchy sound, if I play softly and use the volume knob of my guitars, it cleans up nicely and I love using this amp with my semi-acoustic guitar (It's a Crafter SEG-450. It's similar to an ES-335 but much cheaper.)

The amp loves pedals. I bought a reverb pedal, an EHX Nano Holy Grail and it sounds great with it! (I also got an EHX Nano Memory Toy which is an analog dealy and it sounds good too but not as good as the Holy Grail!)

One thing that I love about this amp: it's not noisy at all! It's really nice to play at bedroom volume!

Since I'm a little bit crazy about sound and electronic and wants to learn more about tube amps... I ordered an Eminence Ramrod for it. I should get it thursday! It already sounds pretty good with the stock speaker (Celestion Tube 10) but I've read that the Ramrod is even better and plan on using the Tube 10 for an amp kit project.

I'm glad I bought this amp! It's perfect for my use and... not expensive!! It's light too!

Don't hesitate if you want one!

Short clip: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=936194&songID=8266810

• Members

Misha, that looks awesome. I can get one of these for around 220 dollars (I'm in Ireland), so I think I'll take a gamble on it.

I'm most interested in the cleans. Anything you can tell me about them?

Did you get it yet??? If so, what do you think of it? (Did I miss a NAD???)

I'm most interested in cleans too and the amp shines with cleans! Of course, if you want more headroom, you will have to add a cabinet but I think it's great for playing in small places. Great cleans at low volume or higher! It takes well single coils or humbuckers. If you like Fender amps, you'll like this amp! i think it sounds better than the Pro Jr and I like it better than the Blues Jr that I've had and that I sold. It's less "boxy" and is really usable at bedroom volume.

If you can get one for 220$, get it! Even a project kit will cost you more money and you have a fully working amp for the price!

(If you want to take it apart... it's not too expensive either! See the Gilmore Kits here to compare: http://www.guytronix.com/contactordering.html)

Sorry I didn't answer before today! :idk:

• Members

I have two of the 15 watt Laney tube amps and they are amazing little amps. If the 10 watt ones are anything like those I wouldn't hesitate to pick one of them up.

Would that happen to be one from the LC series and one from the VC series?

My brother has a LC-15 that I picked up at a computer/radio swap meet, and I'd like to know about the differences between it and a VC-15.

Archived