Peavey Predator - cheap made in the usa guitars - any good?

rakester

• Members

I've played around with a few in shops. They all had pretty good necks. There's a used one with nice maple neck at a local shop that was really tempting. Not sure if it is US made or not, but I really don't care. I buy guitars for what they are, not where they were born.

• Members

I've had two and I'm borrowing one right now from a forum member that wired me a pickguard from pickups he had so it's acting as a test bed. I like the necks... they are slightly wider at the nut that most Fenders... some like that, some don't. The neck feels slightly beefier as well.

But depending on your standards, they might be the kind of guitar where you only keep the neck and the body and upgrade everything else. The saddles and trem block are kinda cheesy, pickups are usually less than ideal and some folks like to replace the tuners.

I just took a pic of this one today... maybe it'll help with your GAS. This kinda funky colored as I'll be putting the wired pickguard on a different guitar, but it's a Mary Kaye type finish, mint green guard and has a YJM in the neck, HS3 in the middle and a Quarter Pounder in the bridge and it's wired so you can have the neck and bridge at the same time. Lots of great tones in there.

Point is, the guitar itself is good enough that when I play it, I forget that it's not a several hundred $$$ guitar and just enjoy it. I have the option to buy it for $75 (not figuring in the pickguard) and he usually sells them for $125 on eBay... almost like clockwork. At that price point, I prefer the 1989 Korean Squiers (the E****** serial number ones) but they are both probably the equivalent of a $600 guitar if you put maybe $100 in addition to your buying price into them. Saddles, pickups, pots, nut if it needs one.

DSC_3710a1sharp.jpg

• Members

I had a 84 Peavey USA Strat unsure of the model name. But After a pro setup and the installation of a Dimarzio Super Distortion(single hum pickguard) she absouletely smoked.

My friends asked too play it more than my Kramer's at the time.

• Members

$99 Peavey Patriot plus pickguard blank, two old knobs, and a few hours work = really nice guitar!

oldMattB

This thread is about the Predator :cop:

But I like patriots too ;) There is one at the local pawn. Plays nice. I guess the Patriot is to the Bullet, as the Predator is to the Strat.

• Members
This thread is about the Predator :cop:

Not trying to hijack the tread. Just supporting the general opinion that cheap Peavey guitars are actually really nice. (and often improved in appearance when the horrible machine-stenciled 1980s-look, smells like cheap headstock logo is removed!)

oldMattB

• Members

As with all guitars they were hit and miss. The majority of Peavey guitars I have played were under-whelming to be nice. There is just something about them that I do not like. Not that they were badly made it is just I do not like the necks. Try before you buy. One man's treasure is another man's trash. YMMVETTTDPLB1RDIMNSHO.

• Members

I've had two and I'm borrowing one right now from a forum member that wired me a pickguard from pickups he had so it's acting as a test bed. I like the necks... they are slightly wider at the nut that most Fenders... some like that, some don't. The neck feels slightly beefier as well.

But depending on your standards, they might be the kind of guitar where you only keep the neck and the body and upgrade everything else. The saddles and trem block are kinda cheesy, pickups are usually less than ideal and some folks like to replace the tuners.

I just took a pic of this one today... maybe it'll help with your GAS. This kinda funky colored as I'll be putting the wired pickguard on a different guitar, but it's a Mary Kaye type finish, mint green guard and has a YJM in the neck, HS3 in the middle and a Quarter Pounder in the bridge and it's wired so you can have the neck and bridge at the same time. Lots of great tones in there.

Point is, the guitar itself is good enough that when I play it, I forget that it's not a several hundred $$$ guitar and just enjoy it. I have the option to buy it for $75 (not figuring in the pickguard) and he usually sells them for $125 on eBay... almost like clockwork. At that price point, I prefer the 1989 Korean Squiers (the E****** serial number ones) but they are both probably the equivalent of a $600 guitar if you put maybe $100 in addition to your buying price into them. Saddles, pickups, pots, nut if it needs one.

DSC_3710a1sharp.jpg

I really like the looks of that one!

Archived