Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Peavey Predator - cheap made in the usa guitars - any good?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Predator - cheap made in the usa guitars - any good?

As above really, I noticed they sell mega cheap (around 100-150 bucks)

made in the usa in the 90's

Any good since they are a MIA guitar?

I've played around with a few in shops. They all had pretty good necks. There's a used one with nice maple neck at a local shop that was really tempting. Not sure if it is US made or not, but I really don't care. I buy guitars for what they are, not where they were born.

Comment

Solid, an excellent value. I passed on one at a second hand shop for $75, in a rare moment of self-control, on the basis that I have a guitar surplus. It only struck me later that I could have made about $50 overnight on eBay or CL.
      Tauntr.com - Adding Insult to Everything!Neck Pocket Cavern Surveyor for the Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You club!"In all fairness, Les Pauls have a switch position labeled "Rhythm", while Strats do not, because they are lead guitars for lead guitarists." -Flatspotter

Comment

The ones I've tried have been pretty nice. And you can usually pick them up for $125 or so.

Comment

I've had two and I'm borrowing one right now from a forum member that wired me a pickguard from pickups he had so it's acting as a test bed. I like the necks... they are slightly wider at the nut that most Fenders... some like that, some don't. The neck feels slightly beefier as well.

But depending on your standards, they might be the kind of guitar where you only keep the neck and the body and upgrade everything else. The saddles and trem block are kinda cheesy, pickups are usually less than ideal and some folks like to replace the tuners.

I just took a pic of this one today... maybe it'll help with your GAS. This kinda funky colored as I'll be putting the wired pickguard on a different guitar, but it's a Mary Kaye type finish, mint green guard and has a YJM in the neck, HS3 in the middle and a Quarter Pounder in the bridge and it's wired so you can have the neck and bridge at the same time. Lots of great tones in there.

Point is, the guitar itself is good enough that when I play it, I forget that it's not a several hundred $$$ guitar and just enjoy it. I have the option to buy it for $75 (not figuring in the pickguard) and he usually sells them for $125 on eBay... almost like clockwork. At that price point, I prefer the 1989 Korean Squiers (the E****** serial number ones) but they are both probably the equivalent of a $600 guitar if you put maybe $100 in addition to your buying price into them. Saddles, pickups, pots, nut if it needs one.

Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius:

"When it comes to gear vs talent I'll be the first to admit that I sit in the Mayor's seat in Poserville."

Comment

Peavey Predators rawk!!! I picked this one up on craigslist with a brand new cry baby for $50! The pickguard assembly is mine though... Mini-me in the picture went to the Brian Krashpad school of guitar face posing!

SPAM:

Custom Wired Strat Pickguard Assemblies - PM me to discuss specs & pricing

Good Trades: PunkKitty, mfergel, Norcal_GIT_r, Chuck1016, Elias Graves, hrcnsfan, ugameus, RosePickups, jelloman, Hookandcanman, Danocoustic

Comment

Good modding platform.

Comment

Solid, gig worthy axes for cheap. The prices are creeping up on them these days.

Comment

I had a 84 Peavey USA Strat unsure of the model name. But After a pro setup and the installation of a Dimarzio Super Distortion(single hum pickguard) she absouletely smoked.
                  My friends asked too play it more than my Kramer's at the time.
                  Squier 51 - (stock)
                  Gibson The Paul II - (Emg 81/Emg 60)
                  Epiphone Les Paul Custom - (Custom Custom/APII)
                  Peavey V-Type LTD - (Super Distortion/Air Norton)
                  Laney GH50L/Peavey 4x12 MS
                  Line 6 Spider Valve 112
                  Pod Pro 2.0

Band : InSaenZ
                  http://www.myspace.com/insaenzrocks

Good deals: valvedriventone,vchizzle, luker_x, marder explorer,hcprimerib(x2).

RIP Leopardstar aka Johnny

Comment

I picked this on up on CL for 20 bucks. Dumbass, cut the horn off Was going to use it for parts until I played it Sweet, I sanded it down and shot it with a few coats of black and now use it. SURE IS FUGLY though

Comment

$99 Peavey Patriot plus pickguard blank, two old knobs, and a few hours work = really nice guitar!

oldMattB
                      Troubadour? Singer-songwriter? Artist?
                      Hell, I'm just a storyteller with a 4-minute attention span and nervous hands.

mattbruner.com
                      myspace.com/mattbrunermusic
                      reverbnation.com/mattbruner

Comment

$99 Peavey Patriot plus pickguard blank, two old knobs, and a few hours work = really nice guitar!

oldMattB

This thread is about the Predator

But I like patriots too There is one at the local pawn. Plays nice. I guess the Patriot is to the Bullet, as the Predator is to the Strat.
                        MY MUSIC! Cosmonaut Cabrera

Current gear: FV Stevens electric (Manilas finest!), Fender Mustang 1, Line6 pocket pod and an Ibanez nylon string acoustic/electric

2/23/2010 - Never Forget

Comment

Brian Krashpad's ears are burning right about now...
                          This used to be a great place. Thanks, GCI, for killing it.See y'all at Wein's.

Comment

[QUOTE=olgluefoot;37101570]This thread is about the Predator

Not trying to hijack the tread. Just supporting the general opinion that cheap Peavey guitars are actually really nice. (and often improved in appearance when the horrible machine-stenciled 1980s-look, smells like cheap headstock logo is removed!)

oldMattB
                            Troubadour? Singer-songwriter? Artist?
                            Hell, I'm just a storyteller with a 4-minute attention span and nervous hands.

mattbruner.com
                            myspace.com/mattbrunermusic
                            reverbnation.com/mattbruner

Comment

ive had about 5 MIA peavey predators. The AX was really really nice, the rest were of MIM quality at best, needed setups and fretwork and had a cheap finish that chipped away. they sounded really nice though.
                              HCAF's resident meathead.

Comment

Working...
                              X