Small Tube Combo Amps: Which One?

killerbeez

• Members

I'd add the Blackheart Little Giant to the list as well.

I can't comment on the champion or Bugera.

I have the Epi and the Blackheart and I definitely prefer the Blackheart. The Epi is a bit dark and muddy for my tastes. Maybe if I had an EQ pedal to stick in front of it I would like it better. But as it stands, the Blackheart wins simply because it has a tone controls.

• Members

I The Epi is a bit dark and muddy for my tastes. Maybe if I had an EQ pedal to stick in front of it I would like it better.

Hell yeah - a $30 Danelectro Fish and Chips EQ pedal works wonders on the one trick pony EVJ ...... The EQ (and a few pedals) is enough for me to be totally happy with my EVJ head unmodded.... for now ;)

• Members

Peavey JSX Mini Colossal is another sweet vintagey 5 watter with built in power scaling and tremolo. I believe they are discontinued and can probably be found for cheap these days...

I had one for a while - sweet little amp that I regret getting rid of but I tend to gravitate to more modern sounding tones. It flat out killed through a 4x12.

• Members

Electar Tube 10 is a great, often overlooked amp.

I put a new speaker in mine, which really helped un-muddy the tone.

However, it really comes into its own when plugged into a 2x12.

That said, I couldn't be happier with my Vox AC4. Sounds great through its own speaker, and even better through my 1X12 with Alnico Blue.

• Members

That Bugera V5 is seriously looking quite great on paper, and I keep hearing great things about it. I'm also heavily considering the AC4.

Maybe I'll just get a V5 combo and an AC4, just for the fuck of it.

whenever I get a job. :cry:

• Members

I'd add the Blackheart Little Giant to the list as well.

I have the Epi and the Blackheart and I definitely prefer the Blackheart. The Epi is a bit dark and muddy for my tastes. Maybe if I had an EQ pedal to stick in front of it I would like it better. But as it stands, the Blackheart wins simply because it has a tone controls.

Got my Blackheart after I had the Jr and stopped using the Jr because the Blackheart is great. I play it all the time and it sounds great with the stock tubes. 3 or 5 watt switch too.

• Members

I have the Vox Ac4 and do like it quite a bit. But honestly, I would pick up a Fender Super Champ XD if I was spending close to that cash. Last I checked they are $299 at Musician's Friend. Call in and use the code "Oct20%" for 20% off that. So you end up with $240 for a 15 watt amp that sounds great, has a lot of diversity, and can be played quite low in volume and have a great tone. If you need more volume its there to a point and if you get serious with it, a speaker swap for a Ragin Cajin by Eminence will give you a boost in volume and quality.

That's my experience - hope it helps.

If I were going on the cheap, I'd pick up the Peavey you listed because its $80 total at Musician's Friend with the above code. That's cheap.

• Members

I'm really enjoying my Epi Tube 10 currently.

Sounds great..nice cleans, and great power amp drive.

Bit loud to crank though!

Got mine for next to nothing out of a 2nd hand junk shop.

DCP01943.jpg

:thu:

Not expecting to see the Electar this morning. I bought one new years ago from MusicYo. Did some of the Cap. and resistor mods, new Weber speaker, and yeah much better. I loaned it to a friend and he is using his 2/12 and pedals with it until he buys the HT-5. Do a search as I don't have the urls handy. There are some mods very easy to do

• Members

You can pick up the Peavy Valveking Royal 8 @ music123 right now for $100 plus get 15% off with the coupon code TECHBAR

http://www.music123.com/Peavey-ValveKing-Royal-8--5W-1x8-Tube-Combo-Amp-481661-i1383113.Music123

That's what raised the question for me....I was leaning toward the Bugara V5 but the Peavey for under $100 shipped got my attention. Anyone here played one?