Help, I have Gas for a 70's strat.

thermionic geek

• Members

Think of all the other good things that came out of the seventies, like the Pinto, John Travolta, Jimmy Carter. The 70s has a pretty long list of failures associated with it, and quite a few of them have Fender's name on them. Old and good aren't the same thing.

• Members

GAS for a 1970s Stratocaster is a different thing from GAS for a reissue of a 1970s Stratocaster. If what you really want is an actual 1970s Stratocaster you won't be satisfied with a reissue. A reissue merely just looks like the real thing. You might as well start saving your money. But if you look around hard enough you might be able to find a late 1970s Stratocaster for $1500 or so. A mid-1970s Stratocaster is going to be $2500 or more, especially an all original one. Find one you really like and it will be worth the time to look.

• Members

The RI's are very nice. I would prol' take a RI over a typical vintage 70's strat. The highway one strats also have a nice 70's "vibe" without the price tag.

Most of the modern RIs are better-made instruments than most of the originals.

• Members

This won't help relieve your G.A.S. pains - it'll probably fan the flames...

Here's a photo of my real mid-70's Strat (natural awamp ash / maple neck) with a 70's-vibe partscaster I completed last weekend. I love my swampash Strat, but I've been getting more and more nervous about gigging with it and having it damaged or stolen, so that's why I built the partscaster... I'll gig with the partscaster and leave Blondie at home. ;)

• Members

I don't know why the guys are complaining about the Tiny frets, even the Pre-CBS Fenders had those same tiny frets. The CBS era is not as bad some people make it. Yes, many are dogs, but some are extraordinary instruments as well. I have an '81 Bullet Deluxe ( Still CBS ) and it is amazing.

Also I think the Op is talking about the reissues, which are made a lot more consistently well than the original guitars.

• Members

I have a MIM 70's Classic strat and it's awesome. Olympic white, ash body, maple neck. Looks great too. I've played a 77 strat once and it's true what they say about 70's strats, it sucked. It was heavier than a LP and sounded like wet toilet paper. Looked cool though.

• Members

i have two of the MIM reissues, owned them since new - 99 / 00 the only real issue with them over these years is that the 3 bolt neck has a tendency to shift a bit and sometimes the high E string can pop out while you are playing . . . but since getting a good setup and reshifting the neck / tightening, it hasn't been a problem. I believe though, that this was one reason why Blackmore used to glue his necks in.

I would buy another in a heartbeat if I needed it - it's not easy to find an "affordable" stock Fender with a maple board, non-V profile, vintage nut width otherwise.

If you don't care about these details, there may be better options out there.

• Members

In my opinion, the originals are {censored} compared to the Mexican made reissues. I've played a few original 1970s Strats, and I didn't like any of them. If I bought a 1970s style Strat, I'd rather pay $800 for a MIM reissue than $1600 - $2500 for an original.