epiphone EA-250

thebert

• Members

Originally posted by thebert

Anyone know anything about these guitars? Made in Japan in the mid 70s with a bolt on neck. Whats a good price for one?

Clean ones go for $400-500.

These are very similar to MIJ Univox Coily's from the same era; Uni's sell for less than half of what the Epis do.

See:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7385559736

And: http://univox.org/guitars/

• Members

Originally posted by thebert

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Epiphone-Archtop-EA-250-ES-335-Electric-NR_W0QQitemZ7384036127QQcategoryZ33037QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I hope that works

Yep. :D

That one looks new! Be sure to give us a full report when you get it.

I became interested in these after I collected a couple Fender Coronados, which are also double cutaway full hollow thinline guitars. The EA-250s have about doubled in price over the past 3-4 years; Coros have almost tripled. Even the once-unncollectibles have become highly desirable.

Enjoy your new guitar!

:cool:

• 2 years later...
  • Members

Hi, I asked gibson about this particular guitar. The answer was:

"Actually, the guitar model you saw written on the label, 5102T correspond indeed to a guitar introduced in 1970 and named in this way until 1971 and renamed EA-250.

The EA-250 was introduced in 1972 and discontinued in 1975. Unfortunately we don

• Members

They were also made under the Aria name- I used to own a 5102- I had the nut and saddles replaced and the neck shimmed and it helped a lot-they tend to need neck shims but you can usually get the action pretty decent - the vibrato unit looks cool, but you cant use it too much if you want to play in tune- little low in the output and sustain dept in my opinion but cool- frets were very " vintage" low frets- very easy neck for chords and such but nut width was too narrow for me ultimately. Overall. though, if its what you are looking for they are a good buy.

• Members

my first guitar was an Epi EA250 for $80 and I still own it :)

Ive had the lame vibrato replaced with a trapeze, a new nut and frets, neck shimed and a new bridge. Seems to be such a good player my friend doesnt want to give it back at the moment and he HATES Epi's.

Just this past year the band that inspired me to pick up a guitar signed it for me, the Jesus and Mary Chain (before the new improvments were made obviously)

6uso5f4.jpg

• Members

I have this Crestwood made about the same time. I hope you have tiny narrow fingers because the necks on those years made in Japan models are very narrow, at least as narrow as the lady intended necks on the Goddess. I have a hard time switching between normal wide necks. Pickups very weak, I put Fender humbuckers in mine.

• Members

Well it's been two years since I've bought the EA-250, and I'm very happy with it. The nut is extremely small, but I don't mind. It sounds pretty good, and looks awesome, I love it. The only problem is finding a case for it. The whammy is huge and it doesn't fit in standard 330 hardshell cases (the cases doesn't close because of the whammy bar). Anyone know of a case that will fit it, preferably a hardshell, but if necessary I wouldn't mind a quality gig bag.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

hey everyone!

I have a 5102 that I'm looking to upgrade. I acquired this guitar from a friend that took some shortcuts in changing pickups, etc...and I'm looking to make things right.

My bridge pickup ring and pickup need replacing. Anyone know where I can find replacements? I'm really at a loss here...

• Members

if the "5102" is the same as the EA250, its an odd size. The pup ring on my EA250 has been broken what looks like multiple times now. Once just recently in shipment but I was able to glue it back together with no problems. At first I thought I would have to mold the pup ring and make a new one out of mild plastic.

Im unaware of anyone making replacement pups or rings for these guitars.

Here is a picture of the damaged pup ring before repair.

x0sjzr.jpg

and the guitar after the mods, changed the bridge, tailpeice, bone nut and a refret. You can see one of the signatures wore off due to the luthier friend of mine playing the guitar so much. It really does play and sound sweet. The action is just right due to the mods, no neck shim what so ever and the mods were very inexpensive parts wise with no permanent mods to the guitar itself.

14u8gut.jpg

• Members

Its definitely not a guitar that I'd got and pick up new, but the wood being 30+ years old REALLY helps out this guy. I often don't even plug it in cause it sounds so warm and authentic unplugged.

About the pickup ring...Mine did EXACTLY what yours did. I have a machinist buddy. I think I might see if he can spin me one or something. I actually modded the original pickup chassy to house my alnico3 pups. Looks pretty cool!

• Members

Its definitely not a guitar that I'd got and pick up new, but the wood being 30+ years old REALLY helps out this guy. I often don't even plug it in cause it sounds so warm and authentic unplugged.

About the pickup ring...Mine did EXACTLY what yours did. I have a machinist buddy. I think I might see if he can spin me one or something. I actually modded the original pickup chassy to house my alnico3 pups. Looks pretty cool!

Yep. Plywood's tone mellows with age. :lol:

• 1 year later...
  • Members

Accuse me of reviving a zombie thread if you wish, but I just found this in a google search. Seems I have a EA-250, but mine is missing the neck, fretboard and tuners. I have been searching for a neck for it, on and off, for years. Holes for the knobs and switch have been filled and new ones drilled on the other side of the top, making it into a lefty, which is why it appeals to me, I play left handed.

I can tell you, it is full-hollow, no block. This one apparently has neck-pocket issues, so I suspect I will have to put a block in it to make it playable again- so if I gotta do that, I hope to find a 12-string neck for it.

I know this thing will never have much value- too much done, either intentionally or due to excess tension, to it. So, I figure the best thing for me to do is to continue down the path already set for it an make it into a playable, lefty 12-string electric guitar.

Archived