No announcement yet.

Jazzmaster upper volume control problem. Please help! : (

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jazzmaster upper volume control problem. Please help! : (

I got some new CTS mini pots for my MIJ jazzmaster. I'm wired everything according to the Seymour Duncan Wiring diagram linked below. I haven't put the strings on the guitar yet but I'm just resting a string over the pickups to make sure everything is working - I also put some new pickups in the guitar. When using the upper controls, the tone pot works - I can hear the highs rolling off but the volume doesn't work. It almost sounds like another tone control...

Anyone know what this could be? I got the pots from Guitar Resource - page link below as well.

The diagram calls for two linear pots but the tone is an audio - what I got from the website, should this be a problem? - The tone is working, but not the volume. The volume is 1M Linear as the diagram calls for.

Thanks

http://www.seymourduncan.com/images/products/electric/specialized/501010-115.pdf

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/electrical_fenderpots.htm
    Decolonize

bump
    Decolonize

Comment

sorry i can't really help out a fellow jazzmaster player but i'll get a bump for you
      My band: The Letter 3

Comment

figured it out haha. I didn't have the lug of the volume pot with the cap grounded....
        Decolonize

Comment

Wait - What?

I've had the same problem with the rhythm circuit volume for a while now. It sounds like a second tone pot - as I roll through it darkens then brightens up again. I actually kind of like how it sounds so I've never fixed it, but if it's just a grounding prob I'll get in there --

Was that your problem? If so, was exactly was the fix again?

When my prob first made itself known, I posted elsewhere and was told basically just to upgrade to a new pot. If it's just a soldering solution, then I'm there...

?
          What lasts is what you start with - C Bukowski

Comment

Hi,

Solder a wire from the cap on the volume pot to ground.

Decolonize

Comment

Hi,
              Newbie Here so greetings to all.

I have a question on this topic- I've rewired a CIJ Jazzmaster with new pups and upgraded the hardware, following this diagram: http://www.guitar-mod.com/wiring/jazzmaster_stock725.jpg

However, either I've made a boo-boo or the diagram is wrong....
              The 'top plate' controls work fine, but with the selector switch 'down' (ie. lower controls should be working) the Volume pot is acting as a tone control (1=Dull, 10=Trebly) and the tone control is doing nothing at all....
              Any ideas?
              cheers
              nick

Comment

figured it out haha. I didn't have the lug of the volume pot with the cap grounded....

I'm late but I knew that was the problem as soon as i read your post cause if you dont ground lug 3 on volume pots it works kinda like a tone control, never going completely quiet. When you turn the vol down you are sending all signal to ground and that's why it cuts out.

Comment

^^^Possibly. The upper volume, however, doesn't do much. It basically goes from zero to about 5 and it sounds more like a tone control throughout the range. If yours mutes the pickup when it's turned down all the way, it's probably working properly.

Comment

Hi,

Solder a wire from the cap on the volume pot to ground.

Man, you just saved my arse. And I'm not even British. I've been tasked with repairing a '64 Jazzmaster that was rewired by either Franz Kafka or Edgar Allen Poe.

I gutted the bad wiring and re-wired the guitar exactly to the Fender specs and the Seymour Duncan diagram (and cross-referenced it against numerous other diagrams when the rhythm circuit controls wouldn't work) . None of the diagrams showed the ground wire from the rhythm volume lug to ground. Not a single one. The rhythm circuit controls will not work without this ground. How could they ALL get it wrong?

I owe you a gigantic beer.

Comment

Working...
                    X