a new build, a PRS'ish style thing

ajcoholic

• Members

This is nearing completion....

- ebony fender scale length board, with 22 jumbo frets (were talking HUGE baby!)

- multi pc flamed maple bolt on neck, schaller locking tuners

- Schaller dual pivot floating bridge

- covered Fralin PAF's

- single tone, single volume (push pull for coil cut on each pup) and 3 way switch

- carved flamed maple cap, on honduran 2 pc back, 1 7/8 thickness total

- prs style body

- offset mop dot markers and mop side markers

- matching flamed maple headstock veneer

- deep red transparent finish on top and headstock, faux binding and brown stained back/sides

I am in the final stages of clear coats, and should be ready to wet sand and rub out Friday. Should be making music by Saturday!:rockon2:

Sorry for the quick and dirty photos... better ones when I get a chance.

Oh yes, this is a scratch build BTW - from rough lumber... no buying pre made parts for me :) Also, am I the only one who thinks its funny that this build is for the owner of a guitar store (who has access to all kinds of fabulous guitars?)

IMG_7652.jpg

IMG_7649.jpg

IMG_7655.jpg

IMG_7654.jpg

IMG_7653.jpg

AJC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I like that you're using a maple neck. I'd like to see more of that in set necks.

Jim,

This ones actually a bolt on. But I am doing another just like it for myself but with P90's and a set neck.

The joint is the same... lots of meat either way to hold screws and/or glue. I have never had one of my guitars break yet!:thu: And one guy who gigs 2 weekends a month at a local bar with one I built him 3 years back has dropped it more than once.

AJC

• Members

Sweet, nice color red too
:)

Thanks Quarter - I did about 5 samples for the guy... I preferred a bit darker one myself but he wanted a brighter red.

Its just NGR (alcohol based analine dye stain) wiped on, then tinted into the first few coats of lacquer. There is also a subtle shading around the body thats hard to see on the photo but noticable in person.

AJC

• Members

That is stunning.

I like that it's so similar to a PRS CE model (my favorite PRS).

Those had the exact same neck joint.

Are you taking orders for them? I would be real interested in a solid black 24 fret model. It wouldn't even have to have any hardware or electronics. I have boxes of parts for that.

• Members

Naw, artists dont copy other's work... I am a guitar plagerist. At least I am honest about it!
:thu:

AJC

"Good artists borrow. Great artists steal." ;)

Seriously though, that is a gorgeous instrument. You do incredible work. :thu:

Also, am I the only one who thinks its funny that this build is for the owner of a guitar store (who has access to all kinds of fabulous guitars?)

That's not funny, that's an unbelievable compliment.

• Members

I like that you're using a maple neck. I'd like to see more of that in set necks.

Jim,

Not that I don't realizes the huge difference between what you do, AJ does and the guys who build Agiles for Kurt do but.... All the lower end Agiles are set necks that are maple. I love the 3 I have. I think it brings more snap to the attack than a maple cap does.

:)

Archived