Shipping a guitar UPS or Fedex Ground?

grickie

• Members

I have to ship a guitar ( well packed by the way) and I have used Fedex ground and Ups with no problems.

But I have sold mostly local for the past few years and I was wondering if there is a preference for who to use to ship.

I always shipped insured and just wanted to see who you guys use or if there was a problem with one or the other.

• Members

FedEx ground should be the cheapest of the three (FedEx, USPS, and UPS). I use them exclusively for large and/or heavy packages as they have the smallest upcharges when it comes to these two factors.

Regardless, it costs nothing to set up an online account with all three where you can figure everything out form the comfort of your home. Choose whichever, print and attach label, drop off at authorized shipping center, never have to deal with person behind counter.

• Members

Fedex no contest for me. They are usually substantially cheaper and appear to be handled more carefully. Plus, it is really easy to drop it off at a Kinkos/Fedex. They are pretty much everywhere and have great hours.

• Members

I used to use UPS and USPS but I think their rates have increased because I just sent a guitar two weeks ago and both wanted around $60.00 to ship with $500.00 insurance. I took it to Kinko's/FedEx and the fee was only $35.00 with the same amount of insurance. I've also noticed that FedEx Ground is quicker in my area(two days to receive a guitar from Santa Fe, NM to Iowa). I'm sold!

• Members

FedEx is who I use. Not only are the prices better, but when I walked into the shop the first time the guys working there treated me like an old friend and we've become friends since then. At UPS, the interaction was extremely inpersonal and I was paying more for what I felt was an inferior service. I like FedEx's tracking system better as well.

• Members

It's been several months since I shipped a guitar, so rates may be different, but I have always had the best luck and best prices with USPS priority mail.

I ship 2 or 3 a month (and I've been at that clip for a long time now...), and I find the PO to be the most expensive, least reliable, and untrackable. Also, it's just such a hassle. Now, if it's international, then it's the only way to go.

• Members

FedEx ground should be the cheapest of the three (FedEx, USPS, and UPS). I use them exclusively for large and/or heavy packages as they have the smallest upcharges when it comes to these two factors.

Regardless, it costs nothing to set up an online account with all three where you can figure everything out form the comfort of your home. Choose whichever, print and attach label, drop off at authorized shipping center, never have to deal with person behind counter.

This is also what I do & it really works great. Also I think Fed Ex offers more detailed tracking info online & you can also set your account up to auto notify you via email on the packages progress.

Plus prepping your packages/labels on line via your account saves you some $$

• Members

There's Fedex, and FedEx Ground... FedEx Ground is a different company. FedEx Ground is the WORST. They had off to other compaies while in transit and the more times your item is picked up, it has a chance of dropping.

FedEx otherwise is great.

• Members

There's Fedex, and FedEx Ground...
FedEx Ground is a different company. FedEx Ground is the WORST. They
had off
to other compaies while in transit and the more times your item is picked up, it has a chance of dropping.

FedEx otherwise is great.

I'd be willing to bet almost everyone in this thread that mentioned FedEx shipped/ships FedEx Ground. I ship all guitars domestically using FedEx Ground, for the same reasons others have mentioned, and have never had a problem in 7-8 years or so.

• Members

I'd be willing to bet almost everyone in this thread that mentioned FedEx shipped/ships FedEx Ground. I ship all guitars domestically using FedEx Ground, for the same reasons others have mentioned, and have never had a problem in 7-8 years or so.

You just have to pack REALLY REALLY well. If it doesn't have a case, double box, and pack each box well (including the box inside the box). If it does, I pad it even more in the case, and then pack the case well in the box. If you do all this, it doesn't really matter how badly they abuse it, as you will get reimbursed for it (generally).

• Members

UPS isn't pronounced "OOPS" for nothing. Further, if they lose a package FedEx' MO is to try to find it first and foremost. UPS' first move is to figure out the value and pay. At least this is true if you use them for commercial purposes.

I have had the same experience. I did ship a V that way, buy you could have run it over with a forklift that way it was cased and packed.

• Members

You just have to pack REALLY REALLY well. If it doesn't have a case, double box, and pack each box well (including the box inside the box). If it does, I pad it even more in the case, and then pack the case well in the box. If you do all this, it doesn't really matter how badly they abuse it, as you will get reimbursed for it (generally).

Right, that's just common sense no matter who you ship with. Any company is going to be more concerned with getting it done than doing it carefully the vast majority of the time...

• Members

I ordered a guitar from Sweetwater once, and it was shipped FedEx Ground shipping.

A budget rent a truck pulled up to my house, and pulled a box out. The box was opened, and in poor condition.

The guitar was in OK condition, but not what I would consider new.

It was like pulling teeth to get my money back.

I have sent many eBay items using FedEx ground, and never had any complaints. However, now I think twice and use UPS.

At least I know to look for the brown truck, and not some budget rent a truck.

• Members

FedEx is who I use. Not only are the prices better, but when I walked into the shop the first time the guys working there treated me like an old friend and we've become friends since then. At UPS, the interaction was extremely inpersonal and I was paying more for what I felt was an inferior service. I like FedEx's tracking system better as well.

+1

I use the online system to send/ship and then drop off at kinko's. The rates are cheaper for FedEx Ground, as well--especially when you add insurance.

Archived