Guitar Center Trade-in Values?

Noise...

• Members

I'm going to be making a trip to Guitar Center in a few weeks. There isn't one near where I live, but I'm going out of town, so I'll have a chance to go.

I want a Tele pretty badly, and because everyone is pretty much just selling stuff, and not trading or buying, I can't get my hands on one.

I have a bunch of gear I'm not using. What are GC's trade in values? Are they completely unreasonable/low? Do they even still do that?

• Members

They go on ebay and look at closed sales, for the same item, guitar.

Then they take the lowest and highest sale price, average it and give you 50%-70% of that.

You used to be able to deal with them, but no more.

It sucks.

Sell it on your own or trade.

• Members

First off almost everything in GC is negotiable. Including trade in values. Typically They tell you that whatever your gear sells for used, they'll give you half that. 3 weeks ago I did a trade-in for a Mesa Roadster Combo. I walked in with a used Genz Benz El-Diablo 100 Head ($1400 new) and they offered $500 bucks. I then asked for the manager, who decides the actual amount they give you, and told what I wanted to buy (the Roadster) and he told me "$700" at which point I said $750 and he agreed. The Roadster combo is $2200 so minus the trade-in I paid $1450 +tax. This is a typical higher value deal at GC. You just have to be smart.

PS- I was trying to sell that head for $700 for 3 months. Noboby (including me) really likes that head.

• Members

They will give you more on a trade then if they just buy your gear, for what it's worth...

Maybe in Nashville they do but up here you can forget about it.Sell your {censored} first because GC isn't going to pay close to what it's worth.In order to turn a profit they have to give you less(significantly sometimes) than it's actual resale value.

• Members

Try your best with craigslist. Even if you get talked down you can usually still do better on CL. My local GC offered me (sight unseen) $4-500 for my SRV strat. I sold it on CL for $850.

Also, the ones around me give same price for sell/ trade.

• Members

Try your best with craigslist. Even if you get talked down you can usually still do better on CL. My local GC offered me (sight unseen) $4-500 for my SRV strat. I sold it on CL for $850.

Also, the ones around me give same price for sell/ trade.

Wow. I guess I'll try Craigslist again. :thu:

• Members

Look, the truth is that they are going to offer you about half what they think they can resell it for. That is just business. They are around to make a profit. You will clearly do better selling it yourself, but you will have to deal with all the bull{censored} of selling. I recently traded an amp in there. I got {censored}ed, but I knew I would going in. I knew that I could get more trying to sell on my own, but I would have to deal with all the crap that goes along with selling gear. I was willing to take the hit to get what I wanted.

It simply comes down to whether you want to deal with selling or you want some discount off what you want right now. But don't expect to get anything close to market value for your trade in.

• Members

good luck selling...I havent had any luck lately..

On the GC note...My bassist traded a brand new only played a couple times Fender Deluxe Active 5 string bass. Retail was 800...they gave him 350. I almost kicked him in the ass.

Same...The economy is in the crapper, so everyone's selling and not all that interested in buying or trading.

As far as your bassist, :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

What the hell? First, those Deluxe Active's are {censored}ing NICE. Second, $350?!? My dream bass is a vintage white 4 string one. :love:

• Members

Why is it so hard to sell it on Ebay?

Who even thinks of craigs list? They pay for shipping!!!.

if you put it NO RESERVE, you'll STILL get more then guitar center.

If you want to loose money, take it to guitar center.

i hate craigs list also. Its like guys asking WAY too much for their JUNK.

At least ebay cost 2 dollars to list it.

THATS WHY CRAIG LIST SUCKS - ITS FREE AND EASY TO JUST TOSS {censored} OUT THERE, YOU REALLY DONT WANT TO SELL.

AKA- Test the waters. Ebay is for buyers / sellers.

• Members

I took the high quality Washburn in my sig to them just for kicks. New it was $1400 or so. Keep in mind that he never even bothered to try the guitar. As far as quality and playability go, it's on par with guitars that cost $1k+.

They offered me $150 and insulted Washburn as a company.

{censored} GC when it comes to trading in used gear.

• Members

Why is it so hard to sell it on Ebay?

Who even thinks of craigs list? They pay for shipping!!!.

if you put it NO RESERVE, you'll STILL get more then guitar center.

If you want to loose money, take it to guitar center.

i hate craigs list also. Its like guys asking WAY too much for their JUNK.

At least ebay cost 2 dollars to list it.

THATS WHY CRAIG LIST SUCKS - ITS FREE AND EASY TO JUST TOSS {censored} OUT THERE, YOU REALLY DONT WANT TO SELL.

AKA- Test the waters. Ebay is for buyers / sellers.

I've been told by more then one person that if you accept Paypal through Ebay for someone to pay for your auction, that Paypal will not release your money until the buyer gives you good feedback and acknowledges they received the item you were selling.

Is there any truth to this? If there is, that is {censored}ed and a perfectly good reason not to sell on Ebay. How is a policy like that even remotely fair?

• Members

I discussed this with a GC executive. The general rule for used equipment is that they will pay around 60% of the wholesale price. That is, 60% of what GC paid for the guitar from the manufacuturer, not 60% of what you paid.

Take Doc's advice and bring some anal lube if you go the GC route.

• Members

I discussed this with a GC executive. The general rule for used equipment is that they will pay around 60% of the wholesale price. That is, 60% of what GC paid for the guitar from the manufacuturer, not 60% of what you paid.

Take Doc's advice and bring some anal lube if you go the GC route.

What if it's a piece of gear that isn't in their system? Like the Washburn I brought to them?

Archived