the guitarist that made you want to play

w00dsy

• Members

i'm sure a lot of us had that moment, where we heard an album or saw a show and said 'that's what i want to do'. Mine was a little while coming, i was into Ace Frehley as a kid then Brian May and then Satriani but i just liked what they did and never really decided to pick up a guitar until i went to a Satriani concert and saw his support act and the singer/guitarist blew me away. His name is Jimi Hocking and he was an awesome rock guitarist at the time, he is now a blues guy but his rock stuff back in the day lit a fire under my arse and the next week i went out and got a cheap guitar and an amp and that was it.

This is him, now much more blues than rock.

[YOUTUBE]lOpy7T3IswU[/YOUTUBE]

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Easy for me to remember, since it was less than a year ago

On the professional side, John Petrucci

t25AOSxZZkI

And from the YouTube brigade, KillrBuckeye

mKRUagaWcpQ

Even ended up getting the same cheapie guitar model KB has- the Pacifica he switches to about 2:34 in.

Damn, do I have a lot to learn...

• Members

I was already "playing" guitar (in a very loose sense of the word), but Dave Grohl really got me into music and the guitar. I wasnt even a big Foo Fighters fan, but when I saw their Live at Hyde Park concert on TV a few years ago (2.5?) something clicked and I was blown away. He is also a good example of how good music can still be simple (which is what he mentioned once in an interview that he learnt from Kurt Cobain - "Kurt showed me the beauty of simple music").

• Members

Wow, good question -- I think it has to be Perry/Whitford (Aerosmith in general). I was a huge fan when I was elementary school and part of Jr. High. This would have been in the 70s. I heard Walk This Way, maybe in 1975 and that was it. I heard Smoke on the Water soon after, but that didn't have the impact like some good ole Aerosmith had on a 10 year old!

• Members

Picking up the guitar was a gradual thing for me - I loved Hank Marvin and mark Knopfler as a kid, I'd play air guitar to the radio. But I guess it was seeing and hearing Gilmour making those wonderful sounds on a huge stage with the fantastic light show of the DSOT tour that finally pushed me to pick it up. I soooo wanted to be that guy.

Archived