Peavey Predator Crafted in USA

DonP

• Members

Google searched this subject but didn't find too much info, and already checked HC reviews.

I picked one of these up. Maple neck & FB, black body, white pickguard. No case. It's in decent shape, couple of dings to the wood.

I was wondering if there would be any reason to keep this original?

The neck is two piece maple/maple (split down the middle like two halves). Is this neck a good thing/idea? Does anyone else make a neck like this (G&L maybe?)?

I have no idea of what body wood this is made out of. Anyone know?

I'm toying with the idea of modifying it, maybe selling the neck and getting an Allparts strathead, Floyding it, etc. But I don't want to hack up something that may become a collector item....yeah right LOL!

• Members

Not much reason to keep it original if you'd like to change it. Talk to the guys over on the Peavey discussion boards, they're friendly and have a lot of knowledge. Guys who work at Peavey seem to post pretty regularly too. Enjoy the Predator, I've got a Korean model and love the way it plays!

• Members

I have the Peavey Reactor (Tele model MIA) and I haven't seen the values go up yet. I keep thinking it must be my pot 'o gold for retirement, but the values seem to be staying flat.

I've always thought mine was a decent guitar for the money (around $230 new) and in fact they were quite a bit better build than the Squiers of that era which were similarly priced, but for some reason they haven't caught on as "collectible" yet.

I'm upgrading the pg, p'ups and tuners on mine. I've got the p'ups and tuners already, now just have to get that new pg ordered. I'm going to go custom with a black abalone. :D

• Members

IIRC the neck pocket is different than on a Fender so a replacement is not a drop-in affair.

You know you may be right. I did a very quick measure with a sloppy tape measure, and the neck seemed thinner than 2 3/16", maybe 2 1/8". The Allparts neck I had was a perfect 2 3/16", so it appeared to be too wide.

• Members

yeah peaveys are value-less, but my god are they awesome guitars. especially the older kahler bridges. the real achilles of the peavey predators are the mediocre tuners and bridges, but then again the same is often said about mim fenders. the hardware isnt awesome, but its not awful.

• Members

Also, I haven't pulled the pickguard yet, does anyone know how the body is routed? Simming pool? S-S-S?

Oh, and just one more-what paint is used? I have a chip to the body wood (the wood is very white, making me originally think basswood?) The paint appears to be black all the way to the wood - no primer coat.

Thanks again. You guys are very helpful.

• Members

I once intended to drop a Squier II (MIK) neck onto a USA Predator, and they are indeed a different size.

The old Predator has a narrow neck, HSS routing, cheap-ish hardware, and merely okay pickups. It's sort of like buying a cheap Asian guitar that was made in the USA... except for the fact that they were VERY well-constructed. They're nicer than just about any budget strat from their era, with the possible exception of the Yamaha.

But while they are outstanding guitars (I'd take one over an 80s Teisco in a heartbeat) they never gained the kind of following other cheapie guitars did (like... the Teisco.)

Like GAS Man, I was waiting for the inevitable "rediscovery" of the old Peaveys that would rocket values up, but it never seems to happen. I've given up on it, too. The improving quality of Chinese-made CNC-cut budget strats has rendered them as "great budget strats... for the time", but it doesn't seem likely they will ever command big money.

So I say go ahead and mod the crap out of it.

I've got a beat-up one in the shop which I'm re-finishing and dropping a loaded G&L pickguard into.

• Members

I can attest to the stability. My T-30 I just bought last week was missing the truss rod nut and the washer, and it was still playable and darn near spec on the relief. I had to cut a washer flat on 2 sides to get it in there and put a Gibson nut on the truss rod. It's the easiest playing guitar I've ever owned. (T-15's and T-30's are short scale)

• Members

Yeah,those older inexpensive USA Peavey guitars/basses are still a great value on the used market.Earlier this year I picked up a clean mid '90's USA built gloss black Fury bass for around $150 and it is indeed a nice sounding,good playing axe.I recently modded it out with a DiMarzio Model P pickup,CTS pots/Switchcraft jack [moved to body side] and cool looking black pearl pickguard.For a bit over $300 total investment,I now have a good quality gig worthy bass that also looks pretty cool.I will probably soon search out a Predator or Raptor guitar to do similar types of mods and tweaking.

Ed

• Members

Aren't these guitars worth like 60 bucks? I bet mine is worth 20 bucks, but if I get famous it will be worth millions.

You used to be able to snag them for about $60 in stores. These days the prices have just about doubled on them. Still a solid gigable axe in it's stock form for dirt cheap. I personally wouldn't worry about the originality of them so the OP should just mod away if they want to.

• Members

Aren't these guitars worth like 60 bucks? I bet mine is worth 20 bucks, but if I get famous it will be worth millions.

Do you have a point or are you just being an ass? Yes YOU have some great guitars, yay for you, now go stare at them and tell yourself how cool you are ...

• Members

One more vote for "Great guitar, awesome sleeper"

My first electric guitar was a Blackie Predator in around 96. I bought it used for $125 at a store and probably overpaid.

That guitar disappeared in a cloud of sawdust wherein it received a new set of pickups, then body, then neck, then bridge.

In a fit of nostalgia I bought another one in 2006. For $125 shipped. It played, felt, sounded, and even smelled like my old one. It has a unique neck profile, somewhat chunky. I like it. The pickups are hot and have a unique sound. The tuners are crappy and imprecise, but they don't slip, and they work.

The frets on the old predators invariably have to be dressed. Once you do that they're awesome playing guitars.

I couldn't justify keeping my second predator, and I put the vintage noiseless pups I had originally bought for the first predator about 9 years ago, upgraded the electronics, dressed the frets, cleaned it up, and sold it for a nice profit.

Bonus gutshot!

c8fcd0450aed37f1a4b4dd5745bd6a8e.jpg