Did I find a fake SG?

lawnchair

• Members

So I went over to my friends house and he hands me his "new" SG that his parents bought him for Christmas. I didn't get pictures yet, but here's what I saw...

It was supposedly a 1965 SG with mini-humbuckers in brown. On closer inspection, the Gibson logo was slightly too slanted and there were no bushings for the bridge. The height adjustment screws went directly into the wood of the guitar. It also didn't have any inlay in the center of the headstock like I've seen on every SG I've ever come across.

His parents paid $500 which is a steal if its real since it plays like a dream.

Thoughts?

• Members

I don't think he's trying to be mean,and honestly, he will probably save his friend some serious shame at teh hands of some other local guitar people when he shoots his mouth off about his "vintage Gibson" as teen are apt to do, if indeed it isn't. I have a friend who wanted to show me his "Gibson" that he inherited from his father- its been stripped, repainted with a spray can, including the headstock, has no serial, no logo, and resembles no Gibson I have ever seen or could find a photo of. I couldn't say much other than you should keep that safe at home so nothing happens to it. You don't want your friends to make fools of themselves.

• Members

No, I wasn't planning on raining on his parade. And he's not that experienced of a player. He's played acoustic for 2 years or so and his parents thought he might like an electric so they bought it from some guy who said he got it new. I doubt it will ever leave his house.

I ask here because I was trying to buy it from him before I was suspicious of it being a fake. He said he's never going to sell it though so I could really care less at this point if its a fake. Haha.

• Members

I say it's real. More so because of the parents buying it from someone they knew as opposed to some hillrod on ebay or craigslist. I've had a few guitars given to me over the years by friends or family of friends and a couple have been collectible.

I hope he appreciates it...

• Members

just a bit of the green eyed monster i guess...:poke:

Guitars are a weird thing to be jealous about. Unless they're some extremely rare one-off or custom made, or have so many mods that you want but can't justify doing, or you've played it personally and it is so astoundingly unique and pleasant to play that you can't imagine anything else playing as nice, it's just a product. Get yourself the money and there will be plenty of them just like it to be had. And take your time, they're not going anywhere. Plenty of SGs in the world.

Archived