No announcement yet.

Did I find a fake SG?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I find a fake SG?

So I went over to my friends house and he hands me his "new" SG that his parents bought him for Christmas. I didn't get pictures yet, but here's what I saw...

It was supposedly a 1965 SG with mini-humbuckers in brown. On closer inspection, the Gibson logo was slightly too slanted and there were no bushings for the bridge. The height adjustment screws went directly into the wood of the guitar. It also didn't have any inlay in the center of the headstock like I've seen on every SG I've ever come across.

His parents paid $500 which is a steal if its real since it plays like a dream.

Thoughts?
    LP Std/SG Classic > Classic 50 212

Good Deals: mrweems, costch

Need pics.

Comment

at that price, it is probably a fake. however, if he's really happy with the guitar, i see no reason to rain on his parade.

Comment

Sounds like it could be a Gibson, but its either an early 70s guitar of the pickups are replacements.
        "Now we're going to play a Cecil Taylor tune"-Fred "Sonic" Smith

check out www.myspace.com/sonicsrendezvousband box set recommended!

Comment

Sounds like it could be a Gibson, but its either an early 70s guitar of the pickups are replacements.

yeah,might be like the one I have,early/mid 70's

HCGB trooper #187
          A severed foot is the ultimate stocking stuffer.

Comment

the bridge right into the wood sounds legit. would need to see photos. i didnt think minis had been invented in 65 yet. it might have been a special that got replacements later as mentioned above.

heres a 65 special:
            ---
            1959 is dead
            http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...4#post46436574
            ---

Comment

get some pics if you can. Tell him you want to show some "friends" a picture of his vintage SG. Get the headstock front and back, overall, and the pickup bridge area.

Many people on here can tell you whether its fake or not. If it is, I agree, don't rain on his parade.
              Amps: Blackstar HT-5 Mini Stack, Crate Palomino V16, Silverface Vibro Champ, Silverface PR, Univox U45-B, Supro 6606

Guitars: 1970 Les Paul Deluxe Gold Top, 1998 Ace Frehley Les Paul, Gibson Q300,MIM Stratocaster, '99 PRS McCarty w/ Trem, Ibanez Roadstar II, Fernandes 7 string Sustainer, Fender Stratocaster with EMG Gilmours, and the list goes on

Effects: Digitech 11 Rack, Line 6 M13, HD500, Radial Tone Bone Plexitube, Boss Dimension C, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Danelectro CTO-1

Comment

His SG > Yours, sorry.
                Electrics:
                2006 Fender CP 60s Strat / 2003 Fender Classic Series 50's Strat / 2004 Fender Fat Strat / 2004 Fender Telecaster /
                2006 Epiphone LTD Les Paul: Birdseye / 2003 Hamer / 2006 Fullerton ST-4 SSH FR / 2006 FA CE-140 Lola / Bass - Ibanez GSR190

Acoustics:
                1999 Taylor 310 / 1976 Martin / 2006 Ibanez AEF18E

Amps:
                1980 Westbury / 2003 Peavey Studio Pro 112 Transtube / 2006 Crate Vintage Club VC3112B

http://i4.tinypic.com/4kdqek1.gif

Comment

Sounds okay to me...even if it's not real...why dump on his parade, especially if he loves it?
                  My Gear:
                  2015 Taylor 214ce Deluxe
                  2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster
                  Epiphone Les Paul Standard Pro
                  2006 Fender American 60th Anniv. P-Bass
                  Takamine acoustic

Comment

no one who still has their parents buying them a guitar deserves to own a real 65 SG...i hope it's fake

Comment

no one who still has their parents buying them a guitar deserves to own a real 65 SG...i hope it's fake

lol!
                      Good Transactions: cavpilot, ck3, EDS, Mr_GoodBomb, aldridt1, Wyatt, GibsonQC, sylvesterlowery, newbuilder, Procreatur, Tweedledee, Solly, silverring233, houdini, DCinDC, DaleH, Guttermouth, richey888, roodog, murch33, drawdeep, TFM53

Originally Posted by Tweedledee

I'm considering suing guitarmike for future damages. I'm assuming that my taxes will be paying for his future welfare benefits and that is an undue burden on me.

Originally Posted by silverring233

damn! what a ****************storm!

Comment

Sounds okay to me...even if it's not real...why dump on his parade, especially if he loves it?

i dont believe hes trying to rain on his parade.
                        i think he would just like to know.

cause if its real and it plays good for 500$ He can be envious of his friends score.
                        CHICAGO, IL
                        NO COAST PUNK/ROCKABILLY/PSYCHOBILLY
                        Bluff city records/studios
                        the SIX STRING SINNERS
                        TOO CLOSE TO PERFECT
                        LIVING IN VANS

Proudly endorsed by Gibson Guitar picks.
                        good deals with: PRSisbest, jasonA84, Inhatredofme (X2), dachuckster

Comment

And I hope you're kidding.
                          Guitars:
                          - Gibson Les Paul Standard '85
                          - Fender MIJ '52 Esquire
                          - 50s Homebuilt Tele
                          - Baritone Tele

Basses:

- Rickenbacker 4001 '64
                          - Gibson Grabber
                          - Gibson G3

Amps:
                          - Marshall 1965B
                          - Peavey 2x10
                          - Sunn 200S

Comment

And I hope you're kidding.

Might have been a dick thing to say, but it was a little funny....
                            Good Transactions: cavpilot, ck3, EDS, Mr_GoodBomb, aldridt1, Wyatt, GibsonQC, sylvesterlowery, newbuilder, Procreatur, Tweedledee, Solly, silverring233, houdini, DCinDC, DaleH, Guttermouth, richey888, roodog, murch33, drawdeep, TFM53

Originally Posted by Tweedledee

I'm considering suing guitarmike for future damages. I'm assuming that my taxes will be paying for his future welfare benefits and that is an undue burden on me.

Originally Posted by silverring233

damn! what a ****************storm!

Comment

just a bit of the green eyed monster i guess...oke:

Comment

Working...
                              X