Anyone here have arthritits or anything similar?

guitarman3001

• Members

yeah the last month i have noticed some arthritis in my left hand too, on the middle finger, got a lumpy knuckle that hurst and clicks when i bend it. Plus my right hand is starting to feel a bit that way on a couple of fingers, i'm 38.

• Members

I've got tendonitis in my both wrist.

I don't think it came some much from playing as it did from an assembly job I had for about six-months. I quite the job, but playing can cause it to flare-up.

And using the click-button on a computer mouse aggravates it, if I'm doing click-intensive stuff (audio editing). I've gone so far as to rig-up an old wah-wah pedal to enable the left-click function of my mouse (got the idea from the big-screen TV controls on the "Metalapocolypse" show), but it's not that ergonomically correct for my ankle/foot either.

If I remember correctly, Robben Ford had some similar problems back in the 80's and overcame it after finding the correct doctor. I keep meaning to see if I can find his story in print, so that I might get some relief.

• Members

I have Psoriatic Arthritis which affects my hands, feet and back. My left foot has been damaged by the inflammation, so I had surgery to repair it...The surgery went well and I'm almost done with the cast.

I take Humira to control my PA. Humira works well for me and I'm playing guitar much better these days. :thu:

• Members

Arthritis on my left knee.

My left thumb was broken and healed a bit out of place. The tip of my right index finger was also broken and I have a graft from my right arm there. Usually these don't bother me, but it depends on the weather.

• Members

I've had problems in my wrist since my sophmore year in highschool. Got stabbed through my wrist, damaging the tendons. It is always stiff. I just can't support a lot of weight with it anymore. After about 3 hours of playing It feels like someone took a hammer to it.

Same hand had a piece of glass go straight threw the palm. Not too lucky in that respect...

Atleast I can still play!

• Members

I'm not having any troubles that affect guitar playing.

However, I read a letter in a guitar magazine. The writer said that he had extremely debilitating arthritis that completely prevented him from playing guitar in the normal way.

He converted over to playing with a slide. His point in the letter was that he was surprised at the wide variety of styles that he could play with slide, including heavy metal etc. He wanted to point out that slide playing is typically only used for a restricted range of styles, but that there was a lot more that can be done with a slide than people probably expected.

• Members

Ok this may sound crazy but I'll throw it out there. Im mid 40's and yes lots of shit hurts..... that said... I, for a while, was having the left hand shit too. I also realized that my cell phone usage had really really increased during that time. I talk on the phone with my left hand. I have way long monkey arms btw. I think the constant bend of my left arm with the phone to my ear was pinching a nerve or two. I finally started thinking that that may have been the reason for the pain in the hand.... I started switching the hand on the phone and have since cut back the phone usage and all the pain went away.

I guess morel of the story is this, Are you doing anything else out of the ordinary with your left arm or hand? Wanking does count.......:wave:

• Members

I think I may be getting some arthritis in my right pinky. The good thing is, It is my picking hand, so I don't have to worry, yet.

I did have some issues with my right elbow for about a year. I could not bend my arm for long, it would stiffen up and hurt like a mother f'er. Which, made it hard to play. I think this was do to many things (golf, broken doorwall, holdind cell phone), all since stopped, and the pain is gone.

• Members

I have arthritis but it is mild and only the bitter cold really messes with it.

However I have an injury I suffered in mid Oct that still isnt quite right yet.

I tore the rotator in my shoulder and I also severely hyper extended my finger muscles in my fretting hand at the same time.

My shoulder hurts when more than a hour of standing with the guitar and my index finger on my fretting hand has hyper sensitivity ala "pins an needles" from time too time.

No insurance = Long slow recovery(hopefully).

I still am thankful though I probably played a minimum of 3 hours a day avg. for the better part of 25 years and played a lot of gigs as well.

• Members

I've got arthritus in my right knee. I blew my knee out in a snowmobiling accident and limped on it for two years before I had it surgically repaired. The surgery was a cakewalk but the doctor warned me that it would be arthritic as I caused extensive damage from bone to bone contact waking on it all that time. The first time it got cold and rainy and my knee went off like an alarm clock. When it's bad I walk like a gimp and take motrin like it's candy.

• Members

I broke my hip twice in high school from excessive running (20 miles+ a day) and I have the same "gift" when bad weather comes along. The pain is so bad sometimes I move at a snail's pace with my left leg stiff as a board.

When I first broke my hip they gave me a bottle of Demerol. After finding out how quickly they became addictive, I now take nothing for the pain and just live with it.

Luckily, my hands are good...

• Members

i broke my neck in a car accident in '89 and it took 6 years of surgeries and therapy to get back playing. Nowadays if I do something stupid like carry amps I lose feeling in my left hand. And when it gets cold the arthritis acts up but I can usually play through it. Slide guitar is an option because I've been playing since '69 and don't intend to stop. I usually play better if I feel like {censored} especially the blues. All my anger is taken out on the strings.

Archived