webstrings.com? What's the dealio?

rog951

• Members

Alright, I know some of you guys have dealt with webstrings.com before since I remember reading it on here. Unfortunately, searchie no workie so I've gotsta ask again:

Anyone know who manufactures the strings? Do they sound/feel any good? Do they last a decent amount of time? I was mainly interested in grabbing some strings for a 5-string bass I recently picked up, but got thinking I might pick up some guitar strings too while I'm there. Even if they aren't the best, they might come in handy for doing setups or other situations where you might sacrifice a set of strings (I'm thinking of something like creating starter saddle groove marks by wacking 'em).

Who's experienced? :wave:

• Members

I've primarily used D'Addario for years, but my last few electric sets have been webstrings. IMO they sound and feel great, less bright initially than D'Addario, but in a good way. Probably played half a dozen gigs with them, no breaks or problems. At this point I see no reason to stop using them.

Someone once posted who makes the strings, either Dean Markley or Ernie Ball (I think), can't remember, and I have no idea if that's true or not. Well, it was on the internet, so it's probably true.

• Members

First off there are only two or three actual manufacturers of guitar strings. All the brands sub-contract these manufacturers to make thier strings. If you want them to make strings for you you supply the spec and they quote a price. So they are probably not exacly like any other brand of strings, but they are made by the same people on the same machines.

I have been using webstrings for about two years now with no complaints.

Max

• Members

I ordered my first few sets of webstrings a couple of months ago. Very middle of the road as far as tone and quailty. Nothing bad, nothing incredible. Just a good string at a very good price (I only tried the electric strings..).

I've been thinking of tryin the Xaviere Strings - I imagine they are about the same quality...

• 3 years later...
  • Members

I like them well enough. I don't care for the packaging very much. You get three envelopes with two strings in each envelope and sometimes they're very intertwined. They also sometimes come out of the packaging already slightly corroded.

I've used more D'Addarios than anything else, and to me, they feel ever so slightly stiffer and less elastic than D'Addarios.

• Members

I've primarily used D'Addario for years, but my last few electric sets have been webstrings. IMO they sound and feel great, less bright initially than D'Addario, but in a good way. Probably played half a dozen gigs with them, no breaks or problems. At this point I see no reason to stop using them.

Someone once posted who makes the strings, either Dean Markley or Ernie Ball (I think), can't remember, and I have no idea if that's true or not. Well, it was on the internet, so it's probably true.

Yup - not as bright and that's a good thing!!

• Members

i use them all the time. keep a set or two of ernie balls around for gigs, but for day-to-day, they're great. since I can afford to keep them changed more regularly, they're probably better for me than 'name-brand' strings. Even cheap new strings sound better than dead expensive strings.

super fast shipping....my only complaint is that they don't do individual strings in bulk....

• Members

First off there are only two or three actual manufacturers of guitar strings.

Max

EXACTLY so why pay more for fancy packaging and a brand name!?!?!?

I've been using webstrings for years and buy 24 sets at a time. They last as long as any string and sound good. D'Addario's G's suck and sound dead,these dont.

• Members

LaBella makes their own strings. I've been to the factory. I have a friend who works at DR in NYC, and they also make their own strings. Martin, D'Addario, Elixir, and Fender all make their own strings, and there are pics on the web of their facilities. I recognize that some companies simply label strings and sell them as a different brand, but I think this 2 or 3 manufacturer thing is a bit of internet lore.

There may be 2-3 suppliers of bulk wire nickel steel, who knows.

• Members

LaBella makes their own strings. I've been to the factory. I have a friend who works at DR in NYC, and they also make their own strings. Martin, D'Addario, Elixir, and Fender all make their own strings, and there are pics on the web of their facilities. I recognize that some companies simply label strings and sell them as a different brand, but I think this 2 or 3 manufacturer thing is a bit of internet lore.

There may be 2-3 suppliers of bulk wire nickel steel, who knows.

I think its 3 US companies that make the raw materials, or something like that. Its certainly not what webstrings wants you to believe. Its just marketing hyperbole.

• Members

I think its 3 US companies that make the raw materials, or something like that. Its certainly not what webstrings wants you to believe. Its just marketing hyperbole.

The 2-3 makers thing is a musicstore creation, and not on Webstrings site, so don't go making them into the bad-guys here. :facepalm:

BTW: I've been using webstrings for years, and aside from some light corrosion on a few plain strings out of the pack, have not had issues/breaking. I'd say they're 'on par' with the big guys, but not in the same league as DR/Everly/etc. Still, restringing 6 guitars gets f'ing expensive with the high quality stuff. :lol:

Archived