Counterfeit Gibson Les Paul Silverburst on eBay

FourT6and2

• Members

Wow, I'm just trying to look out for those who may not be experienced enough to tell on their own. No need to start flaming me for posting something so blatantly obvious...

I don't think anyone was flaming. :confused:

I couldn't load the pics on eBay, so I was simply asking what you were basing your assumption on. No need to get touchy.

• Members

Wrong headstock inlay, dot inlays on the neck etc.

There's a good shot of a '79 silverburst here:

AL

hahah, way more than that...

It looks like the seller drew the headstock inlay on with a silver sharpie...

There's about 2984949448 things wrong with that guitar.

• Members

I don't think anyone was flaming.
:confused:

I couldn't load the pics on eBay, so I was simply asking what you were basing your assumption on. No need to get touchy.

My bad, I thought people were saying that it's so obvious that it's fake and I shouldn't be posting about it... Sorry.

The things wrong with this guitar are:

Wrong headstock inlay.

Wrong headstock logo.

Wrong tuners.

No burst on back/neck.

Has a weird shoulder cut-out on back of guitar.

Wrong bridge.

Has coil-tap switch.

Wrong fretboard inlays.

Wrong binding.

That's just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are more things.

• Members

hahah, way more than that...

It looks like the seller drew the headstock inlay on with a silver sharpie...

There's about 2984949448 things wrong with that guitar.

Oh yeah, a ton more ! I just didn't feel like getting in too deep. Nice body contour huh? Funny I've got an '80 Silverburst and it doesn't look anything like that one.

AL

• Members

For anyone looking on eBay, don't bid on this item. It is a fake.

Hello... new to the forums.

I think this deserves a bit more consideration. Aside from the tuners, brass nut, tailpiece and Sharpie headstock 'incident' this could be real.

http://www.lespaulforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50146

Also, a Google Books search for "Gruhn Les Paul SM" and "Bacon Les Paul SM" show that it's a documented model.

The seller would be served by being more detailed in his description. The serial number is clearly visible in the auction, so Gibson may be able to provide info to prospective buyers.

• Members

I think this deserves a bit more consideration. Aside from the tuners, brass nut, tailpiece and Sharpie headstock 'incident' this could be real.

Also, a Google Books search for "Gruhn Les Paul SM" and "Bacon Les Paul SM" show that it's a documented model.

The seller would be served by being more detailed in his description. The serial number is clearly visible in the auction, so Gibson may be able to provide info to prospective buyers.

Very, very interesting...all those bullet points in the link above seem to negate all the things that were brought up here as "proof" of its counterfeit status. Seems like it was an early version of the Les Paul Studio we now know today...

The headstock inlay is kind of funky, but there could be a million explanations for that, considering it's been knocked around for 30 years. I'm inclined to say this one might be genuine.

• Members

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's a real Gibson, but certainly not a real Les Paul "Custom". I have a friend who has a version of that guitar from the early 80's in black....has the same carve in the back of the body, two way switch behind the bridge, and so forth. His has a Kahler on it, however. I can't remember what the model is, something like "Standard Lite" or whatever. They didn't make them for very long.

• Members

I also agree that it's legit.

The guitar matches what's described in that Les Paul forum post exactly. The only thing wrong is that 'diamond inlay' on the headstock but I think that was a homemade job done by a previous owner.

Everything else is there. The dot inlays, triple binding, belly cut, TP6 tail, truss cover engraving, large control cavity, and coil split switch. Even the color is greenish like an old nitro silverburst and it even has the correct case.

• Members

Wow, I'm just trying to look out for those who may not be experienced enough to tell on their own. No need to start flaming me for posting something so blatantly obvious...

:facepalm:

its real. i know that headstock hackjob makes you think its a fake at first but if you consider yourself "experienced", you could've at least do a bit of research.

• Members

Gibson was doing some weird ass {censored} in the early 80's, and most gibson copies don't look that old, and aren't finished with nitro like this one clearly is based on the greenish color of the burst. There are a lot of strange silver burst models floating around from this time frame including the 335S, the Sonex, and i believe they may have done a marauder in silver burst as well... all of which are short run guitars made somewhere between 79 and 85.

• Members

Please continue to post "Watch Out" ebay sales for fakes!! It is the only way people can be aware of what might be out there.

Great Job but in this case that thing is real and probably worth some cash.

Again - it's great to know we are on the lookout for each other and I'd hate to get caught with a fraud.

Thanks!!

Archived