Clapton's blind faith Telecaster

Pixiemixer

• Members

The neck is from 'Brownie' (evidently Clapton didn't like the Tele neck).

I would guess Clapton put the stock neck back on and gave the Tele away to somebody. It's not listed with the guitars in the Crossroads auction.

Strat necks and tele necks are different on the body end. One or the other would have needed to be modified and I bet, if he liked the neck enough to transplant it, that it was the body that got the chop.

• Members

Strat necks and tele necks are different on the body end. One or the other would have needed to be modified and I bet, if he liked the neck enough to transplant it, that it was the body that got the chop.

Strat necks can go on Tele bodies without modification, there is a leftover gap.

• Members

Looks like Eric experimented with different necks (and it looks like there is a little bit of a gap in the neck pocket in the top picture):

JAN035_CREAM_6.jpg

erict.jpg

Those are great pics/ Do you think if HC had been around then, old Clappers would have been posting multiple build threads LOL

• Members

and in the thumbnail for the video in the first post, there's clearly no gap. That neck had a flat heel like a tele neck.

Look again.

I see a gap clearly at the top and bottom in the preview pick of the clip in the OP. It's not as prominent as the post '67 rosewood neck pic, but it also isn't a straight on picture like the rosewood shot.

All Strats have the same rounded but (until more recent models), a squared butt and Strat headstock would've had to be custom made.

• Members

Look again.

I see a gap clearly at the top and bottom in the preview pick of the clip in the OP. It's not as prominent as the post '67 rosewood neck pic, but it also isn't a straight on picture like the rosewood shot.

All Strats have the same rounded but (until more recent models), a squared butt and Strat headstock would've had to be custom made.

I don't see a gap. I see a shadow and the little cutout for the heel trussrod adjustment. Look at the heel edge of the fretboard, it's clearly straight like a tele, not curved like a strat.

• Members

Nope. I think Andy bought his tele from a student of his.

Correct. The famous Police guitar was one Summers bought from a student when he was teaching guitar in Southern California in the early '70s. Summers did apparently sell or trade Clapton a Les Paul after the one Clapton used to record with John Mayall was stolen, and may have received a Telecaster in return, but it wasn't the famous modded '63 Tele.

• Members

I don't see a gap. I see a shadow and the little cutout for the heel trussrod adjustment. Look at the heel edge of the fretboard, it's clearly straight like a tele, not curved like a strat.

No. It's not. And you need to look harder or know what to look for. There is a gap at the top and a gap at the bottom and a slightly noticeable curve at the top of the butt, what throws it off is the angle and the pixelation of the shadow.

• Members

I actually had a guitar that was supposed to be a "replica" of that guitar built by Mark Kendrick in the custom shop. I bought an Andy Summers Telecaster last year and since buying that guitar this guitar wasn't ever getting played so I got rid of it recently. It was played the least out of my telecaster customs so I decided to sell it. I of course will always have the pictures.

claptontelef.JPG

claptonteleb.JPG

teles.JPG

• Members

I have actually done this.

I put my Clapton strat's neck on my '62 RI tele body, just to see if I would like it. The gap was only visible from very specific angles, and fit with no modifications (as it should - it's the other way around that doesn't work).

In the end, I found that though I love the Clapton neck it really didn't sound or feel right with the tele (whaddya know, the neck does make a huge difference to the sound) and I took it off again. Looked great though :cool:

Archived