Music Man JP6 BFR

ShredR

• Members

Anybody own one of these??? Are they really worth the $$$ I am thinking about saving up for one. So far I only heard good things about them, besides the insane price, looking for more opinions any info would be great! Thanks

bfr.jpg

• Members

That's expensive, but not all that unusual for a high end instrument. Have you played one yet?

No that's the thing every guitar store I visited in my area doesn't have them in store only for special order.

• Members

No that's the thing every guitar store I visited in my area doesn't have them in store only for special order.

thats pretty unfortunate... the GC in my area luckily usually has one in stock, and a friend of mine has one as well.

While there are some limits to taste in how a guitar plays, i would have every bit of confidence that you really can't be upset with how the Petrucci handles (as you would expect for a guitar that is almost $3k)

• Members

Damn. I'd have a hard time paying that much for something I can't play first. OTOH though, most places have decent return policies. Just avoid getting it from somewhere that charges "restocking fees" and the like. If the specs on that really speak to you, then my advice would be to save up, buy it but be prepared to send it back if it isn't everything you hoped it would be. By then you'll have the money saved so you can still shop around if you end up not liking it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful about that particular guitar.

• Members

Why not save a grand (or more) and not get a BFR model? Just get a regular JP6.

Yes I was thinking about that, but then again if I'm going to save up that much I might as well buy the one I really want you know.

• Members

Damn. I'd have a hard time paying that much for something I can't play first. OTOH though, most places have decent return policies. Just avoid getting it from somewhere that charges "restocking fees" and the like. If the specs on that really speak to you, then my advice would be to save up, buy it but be prepared to send it back if it isn't everything you hoped it would be. By then you'll have the money saved so you can still shop around if you end up not liking it.

Sorry I can't be more helpful about that particular guitar.

Yea that is true, and thanks!

• Members

Aside from the obvious wood differences between the BFR and regular JP6 (maple top, and a mahogany 'tone block' compared to basswood), the real difference to me is between the necks.

Same profile and frets, but the BFR's neck will be finished unless you order it specifically without it, where the neck on the regular JP will be unfinished, natural, and hand-rubbed in tru-oil. I prefer the regular for this reason myself.

And don't get hung up on the basswood in the regular model either; it's a good quality wood, and not the same stuff that people think makes $100 guitars 'sound bad'.

• Members

Same profile and frets, but the BFR's neck will be finished unless you order it specifically without it, where the neck on the regular JP will be unfinished, natural, and hand-rubbed in tru-oil. I prefer the regular for this reason myself.

Big +1 here, the best part about EBMM for me is the unfinished neck. Ill never understand why they paint a bolt on neck :confused:

• Members

well, there are some problematic things i guess about unfinished mahogany? because of the pores?

iirc the neck is mahogany, therefore painted.

what i love about ebmm, they make instruments with all the things so many people say are cheap, and make really fine instruments...

for instance: bolt on mahogany neck (normally only on cheapest lps...) basswood bodys (which i really like) and the like.

i've never heard about any complain with ebmms, and the customer service seems to be absolutely top notch - plus, the big poppa even replies sometimes in the forum - they even made a petrucci lefthand model, because 1 guy repeatedly asked about it, until they thought, making one would be less work than to always tell him he can't have it :)

• Members

well, there are some problematic things i guess about unfinished mahogany? because of the pores?

iirc the neck is mahogany, therefore painted.

Yep, you're exactly right... you CAN however, order a BFR with an unfinished maple or all rosewood neck if you ask for it. If I had my way, and wanted something tonally similar, I'd go with the rosewood and leave it unfinished... painted necks bother me.

Here's a pic of one:

6309d1251351907-finally-got-my-1st-ball-

Archived