Vintage 70's Lyle Lawsuit Gibson 335 Copy

thestratomaster

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The thread link isnt working for me but the guitar looks alot like my old Epi EA250. The guitars were sold under many names, Aria, Crown and others if memory serves. If its a bolt on neck, it may be the same. Mine even still has the same chip board case.

Before it was moded.

e97td5.jpg

Was my first guitar and they get a bad rap due to a couple simple mods to make them play like an low string Ibanez. Swap both the faux Bigsby and the bridge if the action is high. A bone nut also helps. They have odd sized pick up cut outs, larger than an average humbucker BUT, the pups actually sound nice and warm. Wished I would have moded my guitar 20 years sooner.

After being moded.

2ecdifb.jpg

• Members

It is a bolt on neck and it looks identical. Same trem and looked like the same bridge. I put on a archtop TOM for slightly better intonation. Same pickups it looks like too. Cool. Anyone know how much these are worth?

The thread link isnt working for me but the guitar looks alot like my old Epi EA250. The guitars were sold under many names, Aria, Crown and others if memory serves. If its a bolt on neck, it may be the same. Mine even still has the same chip board case.

Before it was moded.

e97td5.jpg

Was my first guitar and they get a bad rap due to a couple simple mods to make them play like an low string Ibanez. Swap both the faux Bigsby and the bridge if the action is high. A bone nut also helps. They have odd sized pick up cut outs, larger than an average humbucker BUT, the pups actually sound nice and warm. Wished I would have moded my guitar 20 years sooner.

After being moded.

2ecdifb.jpg

• Members

Looks very similar to the Univox Effie.

How does it sound/play?

That thing is actually really sweet. I don't know if there was actually a lawsuit on this particular one but I would say it was definitely fairly similar. It plays decent. Has some issues with tuning stability, but it sounds really good actually

• Members

I bit from Wiki:

"Lyle guitars were made in Japan somewhere between 1960 to the late 1970's out of the Matsumoku guitar factory that produced Univox, Arai, and other guitars"

I still see alot of these around Portland, because the US importer and distributor was a Beaverton Oregon company called JD Heater. Lyle made some real sweet copies, but were never involved in any copycat lawsuits.

I saw a 335 bass sell locally for $425.00. Yours is in good shape, but not original. You should be able to get 100-200 for yours. It all depends on market and location. Since Lyle's are well known in the NW you would get top dollar around these parts.:)

• Members

Matt,

Its signed by the Jesus and Mary Chain, Jim and William Reid, Loz Colbert (drummer from Ride), Phil King (bass in Lush) and Mark Crozer (International Jetsetters).

If your having tuning issues, the old tuners may just be worn out. They didnt use the highest dollar parts in these models but as youve already heard, the pups are very nice and unique in a good way. 99% of the people who will bash the guitars have never even played one. Others will band wagon the dog pile because its a bolt on neck yet probly own a Fender at the same time.

Mine still holds tune, pots are in great shape with no noise nor has the body cracked. Ive seen them sell upwards of $400 on ebay as an Epi EA250 in near mint condition and gutted ones on ebay for $50 that are cracked. I paid $80 for mine back around 1988 or so after heard the Jesus and Mary Chain song "Blues From a Gun". It was all I could afford in hollow body form and ill never give it up.

Drop $20 in parts on it with the trapeze tailpiece and Gretsch type aluminum bridge before you look at selling it. The thing may grow on you. If it does, go for a bone nut and new tuners. The one you have is sweet looking in that color. Play it through an over driven JCM800 and watch the look on everyones faces.

• Members

OP you really didn't try very hard on your search did you?

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=Lyle+guitars&aq=f&aqi=g9g-m1&oq=&fp=b503eb6ad6dd7323

That thing
brought a lawsuit from Gibson??? Lol.....

Yeah, identical to a, a, 335?.......
:facepalm:

Anytime you see the word "Lawsuit" next too "vintage japanese guitars" just consider it bullshit. There was only one law suit filled by gibson and it was against the American distributor of Ibanez. EVERYTHING else is either miss informed people (like our OP) or people who want to hype up some guitar they are selling.

• Members

I bit from Wiki:

"Lyle guitars were made in Japan somewhere between 1960 to the late 1970's out of the Matsumoku guitar factory that produced Univox, Arai, and other guitars"

I still see alot of these around Portland, because the US importer and distributor was a Beaverton Oregon company called JD Heater. Lyle made some real sweet copies, but were never involved in any copycat lawsuits.

I saw a 335 bass sell locally for $425.00. Yours is in good shape, but not original. You should be able to get 100-200 for yours. It all depends on market and location. Since Lyle's are well known in the NW you would get top dollar around these parts.
:)

The company was L D Heater hence the LYLE as in Lyle D. Heater. Their sign is still on the side of a building in downtown Portland. Heater was also the US distributor of Norlin for a period of time.:thu:

• Members

Anytime you see the word "Lawsuit" next too "vintage japanese guitars" just consider it bull{censored}. There was only one law suit filled by gibson and it was against the American
distributor
of Ibanez. EVERYTHING else is either miss informed people (like our OP) or people who want to hype up some guitar they are selling.

Lighten up Francis.

Alternately branded legally sold Gibson copies with the open book headstock distributed in the US were all made before this lawsuit.

• Members

Lighten up Francis.

Alternately branded legally sold Gibson copies with the open book headstock distributed in the US were all made before this lawsuit.

Isn't the open book design copy righted? I would think that gibson wouldn't be overally happy about people using it. Granted this isn't a spitting image of any gibson guitar, it has aspects of gibson products yes?

• Members

Lighten up Francis.

Stuck in the 80's are you? It's 2010...get some new material.

So what? It doesn't stop people from attaching the word "lawsuit" to nearly every single japanese guitar that has an open book headstock. As if it has some meaning which it doesn't.

Archived