Gibson Les Paul Traditional vs Standard?

Joeballz

• Members

Besides the price difference which isnt much what are the overall differences between these 2 guitars. Originally i was going to save up and purchase a studio but i have retarded standards so i figure i might as well save up and buy one of the higher models. I would like to know what the differences are and if there both very versatile guitars. Iam currently playing on my fathers studio and i love it! So im looking to pick up my own soon. Thanks for reading.

• Members

Personally, the difference for me is the pickups. The Traditional uses 57 Classics, while the Standard uses BB3's (IIRC). I prefer the 57's. I still think they're the best sounding pickup Gibson makes. The appointments and finishes on the two are basically the same. IIRC the other major difference is that the Standard now uses Gibson's new asymmetrical neck.

• Members

The new Standards have a chambered body, while the Traditionals have a "weight-relieved" body (not solid, but has swiss-cheese holes to take off a few oz.).

Standards have that new asymetrical neck, most Traditionals I've tested out have a fat 50's style neck.

Standards come with Burstbucker PUs, Traditionals come w/ 57 Classics.

A few minor differences: Standards come w/ straplocks. I think the tuning keys are different.

The Traditionals are generally held in high regard over at Les Paul Forum. I want one in the worst way right now...

• Members

The new Standards have a chambered body, while the Traditionals have a "weight-relieved" body (not solid, but has swiss-cheese holes to take off a few oz.).

Standards have that new asymetrical neck, most Traditionals I've tested out have a fat 50's style neck.

Standards come with Burstbucker PUs, Traditionals come w/ 57 Classics.

A few minor differences: Standards come w/ straplocks. I think the tuning keys are different.

The Traditionals are generally held in high regard over at Les Paul Forum. I want one in the worst way right now...

Well done.

The new Standard's also come with Grover locking tuners, Tonepros locking bridge and stoptail, locking Neutrik plug jack and the newer "long" neck tenon.

I like the new Standard and Traditional, but would have preferred if the Traditional/Standard split never happened. Personally, I liked almost everything about the '02-'08 Standard, except for the occasional Gibson QC goof.

While a bit controversial I also like the introduction of chambered bodies, which were used from mid '06 to '08 on the previous Standard design as well as the current Standard.

Oddly enough, many LP players consider the Traditional to be the "real" Standard while the new Standard is, well, the "New" Standard. My advice is to play what you like.

Something else to consider, Guitar Center has an exclusive, special run "Traditional Pro" that has been getting favorable reviews. Price point is also a little lower than the Traditional.

• Members

Normal traditional has 57's pick ups, traditional pro (or plus, can't remember) can split coil them, which is pretty cool.

The main difference is in the pick up really, 57's v Burstbucker Pro.

I personally really like the Burstbucker Pro, they have a clarity & brightness rarely seen in such warm paf type pick ups.

Either way, both would be great instruments.

(I'd definitely try to pick ip the trad pro over the normal traditional because of the coil splitting thing.)

• Members

Is it traditional pro or plus? I've seen plus models online and I also see traditional standard what the hell does that mean? It's a combo Of both?

The "Standard Premium Plus" models..dunno if they're still making them, but were basically just an upgraded maple top...like AAAA instead of AA grade flaming on the top. Eye candy thats all.

My own LP is a 2004 Standard in Lightburst and I loves it and plan on it being a keeper as I sold two others previously and ended up missing them then later replacing them. Still cant make up my mind though if I prefer my SG Standard over it or not!! The SG's got a more naturally resonant tone to it unplugged were the LP can sound a bit hard by comparison. Plugged in thought the LP has more top end off the brighter sounding pickups and more sustain - really only noticable though above the 12th fret.

My thoughts on the Gibson Studio, Traditional and Standard is that they are all great guitars. They all do the LP thing. The Studio is the stripped down basic no frills model...the Traditional is the 2002-2008 Standard but with 57 Classics and the new Standard has all the upgrades that have been mentioned above. I think Gibson should've left the pickguard off on the Traditional and left it in the case for the buyer to decide if they want it on or not - like they do with Standard. Dunno why they done that.

• Members

Is it traditional pro or plus? I've seen plus models online and I also see traditional standard what the hell does that mean? It's a combo Of both?

Gibson has been doing these "limited runs" for awhile and it's easy to lose track.

The Traditional Pro is a Guitar Center Exclusive (the other stores in the group like a Woodwind & Brassswind, Music123, etc. might also carry them) with some interesting features.

Exposed (zebra) pickups - '57 Classic in the neck and Burstbucker 3 in the bridge. This is the only Gibson guitar that I know of that has this match. Wired for coil splitting option which I personally don't care for as it tends to sound like a wimpy strat pickup when split. Then again, Jimmy Page seems to do alright with coil split.

Locking Tuners - A cool feature, except if I recall they're chrome along with the rest of the hardware. I prefer nickel, but that's me.

The Maple tops are not supposed to be highly figured, but I saw a Vintage Sunburst (that looked like a Tobacco burst) with a really cool top the other day at GC. Not a lot of flames, but cool figuring.

While the top is glossy, the neck, sides and back are satin. This is the most intriguing feature for me. I was a huge fan of the discontinued Standard Faded's because of the thinner (satin) topcoats, but would have liked a little more gloss on the maple cap to make the figuring "pop" or stand out a little more.

And like all new Gibson Standards (the Traditional is essentially a Standard) Gibson plekking. I guess Gibson can now screw up a guitar with a computer as well as by hand. :p

Overall, I'm liking the features on this guitar. My only major concern is the possible heavy weight. My days of playing a 13 lb. boat anchor for a guitar are over. My back can't handle it anymore.

• Members

Do the Traditionals also have the circuit board mounted controls like the Standard?

Yes, unfortunately.

A lot of LP of players were pulling & replacing the electronics even before Gibson switched to pcb, so to some it doesn't really matter.

• Members

Then again, Jimmy Page seems to do alright with coil split.

Who knows what tricks he did in the studio to get what he wanted but I think the usual "Jimmy Page Wiring" is to switch between series/parallel not tap one coil out.

• Members

Who knows what tricks he did in the studio to get what he wanted but I think the usual "Jimmy Page Wiring" is to switch between series/parallel not tap one coil out.

I stand corrected.

I still find coil splitting to sound wimpy.

• Members

I can't say much about the comparison of different models (especially the new ones), but I played at least a dozen LPs before choosing my Traditional last year. I thought the 57s in the Traditional sounded a little bit edgier and more "raw" that the Burstbucker Pros in the Standards I played. Not necessarily "better" but just more what I was looking for.

I would say try all the different models you can and see what sounds right to your ears and feels right for your hands. I tried several Traditionals, but I would not have bought one if my choices were only the "others." There's a fair bit of variance between individual guitars even of the same model (personally I think a lot of that is setup). In the end I could not be happier with my Traditional, but it's not what I was expecting to buy (I was going to get a Standard Faded w/ 60s neck, but by the time I got the money together the shop had sold it). I ended up liking the Traditional better anyways, so all ended well.

• Members

Standard-Locking tuners, chambered body, asymmetrical neck, BB pickups, AAA maple top, and the truss rod cover says "standard".

Traditional-Vintage Tulip key style tuners, AA maple top, '57 classic pickups, 50's style neck, truss rod cover says "traditional", and $400 cheaper.

IMO the Les Paul Classic and Traditional are the best non-custom shop Les Paul's Gibson has made in the last 10 years.

• Members

The new Standard's come with a locking Neutrik plug jack... so when you step on your cord, instead of pulling your plug out.... it pulls the whole jack out of the wood.
:cry:

I hope you were making a funny & that didn't really happen to you personally.

I never did see the reason for a locking jack...what's the point, anyway?

• Members

I have both a Classic Gold Top and traded my Standard for a Traditional Plus.

To me the Traditional played better, felt better and sounded better.

There's the Traditional, Tradional Plus, which has a fancier Top and the Traditional Pro.

• Members

The Traditional Pro is a Guitar Center Exclusive...

The Maple tops are not supposed to be highly figured, but I saw a Vintage Sunburst (that looked like a Tobacco burst) with a really cool top the other day at GC. Not a lot of flames, but cool figuring...

My only major concern is the possible heavy weight. My days of playing a 13 lb. boat anchor for a guitar are over. My back can't handle it anymore.

Yup, GC only, and their Thomann distributor. I got a Pro, wish I could get one of the 100 Pro Goldtops.

Inexplicably, my Heritage Cherry Pro has a rather nice top. (pictured at far right)

DSCN0612.jpg

DSCN0599.jpg

Weight on mine is 9lbs 4oz, but some of them are quite heavy, easily a pound or more heftier. Play before you buy.

The split coil sounds great, actually, one of the only guitars I've played with a useful splitter.

Archived