Telecaster routing question

ffud

• Members

I have a question about the insides of fender teles (American standard, american deluxe, etc)

any chance these are routed with enough space in the bridge pickup cavity to allow you to install a full size humbucker if you were to change the bridge?

thanks

• Members

No, because of the space for the mounting tabs, a humbucker rout is a good 1/4"-3/8" wider than most Tele bridge plates. Once you go HB, you can't neatly go back.

Note how much wider a HB bridge for a Tele has to be to accommodate, 3.5" wide instead of the Am Std's 3.1" wide (Vintage Tele bridge plates are 3")

Telecaster-Humbucker-Bridge-2T.jpg

AmericanStandard.jpg

• Members

F9000306X_ip.jpg

:rolleyes:

Your insinuation is that I didn't know that humbuckers were a possibility in the bridge position of a Telecaster. You even went so far as to go find a picture of one in order to show me just how wrong I was. The thing you failed to understand was the question posed by ffud, which was:

"I have a question about the insides of fender teles (American standard, american deluxe, etc)

any chance these are routed with enough space in the bridge pickup cavity to allow you to install a full size humbucker if you were to change the bridge?"

The poster was asking if there are universal routes on Teles for the bridge pickup.

The American Standard or American Deluxe (the ones mentioned in the OP) or any Telecaster with a single coil bridge pickup will not have a cavity routed to accommodate a humbucker. Clearly, there are Telecasters available that are routed for a bridge humbucker but since it requires a route that is wider than a standard single coil there can be no universal route.

:wave:

• Members

thanks for the input guys! I know I disgust some of you loyal tele people by suggesting such a thing, but I really have got to have humbuckers.

I was just asking cuz I am consistently not digging my LP anymore and was thinking about options. I will probably end up getting another HSS Strat then cuz fricking fender refuses to make a good stock HH telecaster.

• Members

:rolleyes:

Your insinuation is that I didn't know that humbuckers were a possibility in the bridge position of a Telecaster. You even went so far as to go find a picture of one in order to show me just how wrong I was. The thing you failed to understand was the question posed by ffud, which was:

"I have a question about the insides of fender teles (American standard, american deluxe, etc)

any chance these are routed with enough space in the bridge pickup cavity to allow you to install a full size humbucker if you were to change the bridge?"

The poster was asking if there are universal routes on Teles for the bridge pickup.

The American Standard or American Deluxe (the ones mentioned in the OP) or any Telecaster with a single coil bridge pickup will not have a cavity routed to accommodate a humbucker. Clearly, there are Telecasters available that are routed for a bridge humbucker but since it requires a route that is wider than a standard single coil there can be no universal route.

I realized what he meant after I posted, but as you are aware for some reason you can't delete a post, so I just deleted my message I had typed and left the picture in case the OP wanted to find a tele already routed for a HB.

• Members

thanks for the input guys! I know I disgust some of you loyal tele people by suggesting such a thing, but I really have got to have humbuckers.

I was just asking cuz I am consistently not digging my LP anymore and was thinking about options. I will probably end up getting another HSS Strat then cuz fricking fender refuses to make a good stock HH telecaster.

Actually Fender has made a few HH tele models over the years, also check out some of the Squier Offerings:

P10480803.jpg

products_100_904.jpg

64389_l.jpg

TGR135.gearsquier-460-80.jpg

• Members

I know they've made a few, but (at least current models) are all Mexicans and they just dont feel as good as an American Telecaster or sound as good as a high end HSS strat. IMO at least.

...but whats that first one you have a pic of?

• Members

I know they've made a few, but (at least current models) are all Mexicans and they just dont feel as good as an American Telecaster or sound as good as a high end HSS strat. IMO at least.

...but whats that first one you have a pic of?

Squier Master Series

Chambered

22 frets

Set neck

Made In Korea

They made these a couple of years back but they are discontinued now

Archived