No announcement yet.

Telecaster routing question

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Telecaster routing question

I have a question about the insides of fender teles (American standard, american deluxe, etc)

any chance these are routed with enough space in the bridge pickup cavity to allow you to install a full size humbucker if you were to change the bridge?

thanks
    My Band My Gear

Member of the Ampeg Flight Crew

Member of the SG ARMY

(OBOs)

Good deals with: makingbeds

Depends on the model. All I can say is: Some are, and some aren't...
    You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. -- Joe Strummer

Comment

No, they are only routed for the standard Tele bridge pickup.
      Barack Obama smells like expired yogurt.

Originally Posted by ChuckyB

I pretty much believe that if a girl has a vagina, she is 90% of the time worth having sex with.

Originally Posted by Gainon10

Freedom is a bitch if you don't have thick skin.

Comment

Oh I missed the "bridge". Mac is correct...
        You have the right to free speech, as long as you're not dumb enough to actually try it. -- Joe Strummer

Comment

No, because of the space for the mounting tabs, a humbucker rout is a good 1/4"-3/8" wider than most Tele bridge plates. Once you go HB, you can't neatly go back.

Note how much wider a HB bridge for a Tele has to be to accommodate, 3.5" wide instead of the Am Std's 3.1" wide (Vintage Tele bridge plates are 3")

Comment

Do not want.

stuff:
            52RI Tele
            Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
            more stuff:
            65 Twin Reverb Reissue
            Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

Humbuckers only go in Tele necks, silly.
              {For Sale}
              Chandler RH-2 lap steel - $325

Comment

No, they are only routed for the standard Tele bridge pickup.

Comment

I put a humbucker in the bridge of my Tele and I'm glad I did. The hack job I did to get it to fit is well hidden under the bridge plate fortunately... maybe i should try to get a job as a luthier at Gibson!
                  Information is not knowledge
                  Knowledge is not wisdom
                  Wisdom is not truth
                  Truth is not beauty
                  Beauty is not love
                  Love is not music.
                  Music Is The Best.

- Frank Zappa

Comment

Your insinuation is that I didn't know that humbuckers were a possibility in the bridge position of a Telecaster. You even went so far as to go find a picture of one in order to show me just how wrong I was. The thing you failed to understand was the question posed by ffud, which was:

"I have a question about the insides of fender teles (American standard, american deluxe, etc)

any chance these are routed with enough space in the bridge pickup cavity to allow you to install a full size humbucker if you were to change the bridge?"

The poster was asking if there are universal routes on Teles for the bridge pickup.

The American Standard or American Deluxe (the ones mentioned in the OP) or any Telecaster with a single coil bridge pickup will not have a cavity routed to accommodate a humbucker. Clearly, there are Telecasters available that are routed for a bridge humbucker but since it requires a route that is wider than a standard single coil there can be no universal route.

Barack Obama smells like expired yogurt.

Originally Posted by ChuckyB

I pretty much believe that if a girl has a vagina, she is 90% of the time worth having sex with.

Originally Posted by Gainon10

Freedom is a bitch if you don't have thick skin.

Comment

thanks for the input guys! I know I disgust some of you loyal tele people by suggesting such a thing, but I really have got to have humbuckers.

I was just asking cuz I am consistently not digging my LP anymore and was thinking about options. I will probably end up getting another HSS Strat then cuz fricking fender refuses to make a good stock HH telecaster.
                      My Band My Gear

Member of the SG ARMY

(OBOs)

Comment

Your insinuation is that I didn't know that humbuckers were a possibility in the bridge position of a Telecaster. You even went so far as to go find a picture of one in order to show me just how wrong I was. The thing you failed to understand was the question posed by ffud, which was:

"I have a question about the insides of fender teles (American standard, american deluxe, etc)

any chance these are routed with enough space in the bridge pickup cavity to allow you to install a full size humbucker if you were to change the bridge?"

The poster was asking if there are universal routes on Teles for the bridge pickup.

The American Standard or American Deluxe (the ones mentioned in the OP) or any Telecaster with a single coil bridge pickup will not have a cavity routed to accommodate a humbucker. Clearly, there are Telecasters available that are routed for a bridge humbucker but since it requires a route that is wider than a standard single coil there can be no universal route.

I realized what he meant after I posted, but as you are aware for some reason you can't delete a post, so I just deleted my message I had typed and left the picture in case the OP wanted to find a tele already routed for a HB.

Comment

thanks for the input guys! I know I disgust some of you loyal tele people by suggesting such a thing, but I really have got to have humbuckers.

I was just asking cuz I am consistently not digging my LP anymore and was thinking about options. I will probably end up getting another HSS Strat then cuz fricking fender refuses to make a good stock HH telecaster.

Actually Fender has made a few HH tele models over the years, also check out some of the Squier Offerings:

Comment

fricking fender refuses to make a good stock HH telecaster.

72 Deluxe, Thinline, Custom

stuff:
                            52RI Tele
                            Gibson SG 1970s Tribute
                            more stuff:
                            65 Twin Reverb Reissue
                            Cox Tweed Deluxe Ultimate

The REAL Angry

Comment

I know they've made a few, but (at least current models) are all Mexicans and they just dont feel as good as an American Telecaster or sound as good as a high end HSS strat. IMO at least.

...but whats that first one you have a pic of?
                              My Band My Gear

Member of the SG ARMY

(OBOs)

Comment

Working...
                              X