New Yamaha SG Day! Oh Yeah!

KightTemplar

• Members

So I was looking for a guitar with dual humbucker to get that warm neck pickup tone.

I was thinking on a Yamaha AES620 nut it was above my budget, and the neck was pretty thick.

Then I came across this Yammy SG200. The pearl white look and being vintage is very attractive and it is in extremely good shape for such an old guitar(more on that later). Also, the neck is thin enough so I can switch to this one from my Yammy Ty Tabor no probem. Now, the pics:

f_4377682_1.JPG

f_4377683_1.JPG

As you can see, there's no Yamaha name written on the headstock, just the usual floral emblem typically on the SGs

I don;t know why, but I am sure this is genuine Yamaha because the tuning peg says Yamaha JApan, and the serial No.'s nomenclature is the same as all the MIT Yamaha's I've seen, including my Ty Tabor. Yes, most SG200's were MIT.So, I paid fpr USD150.

Ah, the Internet Explorer has clashed, so I will post more pics soon!

Anyway, show me some chicks please!

• Members

More pics!

f_4377684_1.JPG

f_4377685_1.JPG

f_4377686_1.JPG

f_4377707_1.JPG

f_4377710_1.JPG

So you can see the tuning pegs clearly masks Yamaha Japan and the serial number. According to Yamaha serian No wizard, it is either 1975 or 1985.

OK now, it is not SG2000, but it plays terrific, sounds great, and even it is Plain Jane lookds wise, but such a beautiful and sweet Jane!:thu:

OK, show me chicks and bubbies!:cop:

• Members

There can be no question that it's a genuine Yammie. How was the name removed? Does the "scar" look OK?

Vielen Dank for your compliment dude!

Well as far as I can see there is no scar in there, so I suspect the brand name was never there from day 1. Why? I don't know. MAybe the staff at Taiwan factory missed for some reason?

That's why I thought it was a fake guitar at first, but Yamaha never sell their guitar spare parts and the serial NO is the same as other Taiwanese Yammies, and the craftmanship is so first rate, so I am sure it is real.

And even if it was fake, the guy who built it must be world-class luthier!

• Members

is there a date under the pick-ups?...use the year from the old Japanese calendar to date the guitar if there is one, thats how I got the year for my SG-800, it is stamped on the underside.

You mean at the bottom of the pick up? Or the back side?

The bottom does not say anyhting.

Also, I am sure the truss rod cover was changed by the owner before me.

• Members

I have an SG500B and have really gotten to liking it once I set the nut straight. Congrats on finding a nice inexpensive guit!

Once you have it for a while you may find yourself in the same position I am, looking for a SBG1000-3000. They are definitely LP slayers.

• Members

I have an SG500B and have really gotten to liking it once I set the nut straight. Congrats on finding a nice inexpensive guit!

Once you have it for a while you may find yourself in the same position I am, looking for a SBG1000-3000. They are definitely LP slayers.

I tried the SG500B last year. It was good guit but somewhat below my expectation. My SG200 is clearly superior, and it also kills ALL epiphones and MANY current Gibsons, as far as SG and LP are concerned.

• Members

Whoa, I usually don't like white guitars but that looks awesome! HNGD!!!

btw, how do you like the Ty Tabor model?

Thanks! I love my Ty Tabor. It is every bit as good as the Ibanez Andy Timmons and Music Man Luke for one third or even one fourth of the price. Also, it is a mean riff machine!

• Members

And a question for you: I remember you mentioned about your 904's "humbucker". You said it may not be a genuine humbucker but a double single-coil since it has 4 screws. As you can see my SG's humbuckers have 3. What does that mean?

Thanks!

The 904 has a double single coil in the bridge. The "04" of 904 means 0 Humbucker, 4 singles. Your SG and my SA have the three screws to adjust not only the height but also the angle of the pick-up in relation to the strings. A nice Yamaha feature that I have not seen elsewhere.

Archived