Guitar Playing For The Practicing Musician - The LOST Issue

Hjalmar

• Members

Hi Everybody!

I've got kind of a problem. You see, there is this song that I really want to be able of play but I can't transcribe it myself because it is really, really hard to transcribe ("Backdoor Romeo" by T-Ride). However, I know that the magazine called Guitar Player For The Practicing Musician had an issue in which they included the tabs on this song in but I can't find this issue anywhere. So I'm asking you guys here on harmonycentral if anyone's got the october issue of Guitar Playing For The Practicing 1992. If you've got it, PLEASE send it to me in pdf.

ISSUE: Guitar For Practicing Musician,1992-08(Magazine)

I can't express how happy I'd be if somebody could send it to me!!

thanks!!

• Members

I loved GFTPM and I loved GP back then as well.

Those were magazines for us old timers that actually wanted to learn how to play instead of reading 'gear shootouts' with the people who have the biggest ads winning.

I'm sure some of you that are my age (early 30s) can remember there being a friendly rivalry with your buddies to learn whatever songs were tabbed out in GFTPM every month.

The coolest thing was there would always be a cool mix of songs. IIRC there would be 3 songs. There would always be something current and something older like a Who or Jeff Beck tune.

I remember GFTPM was for learning songs and GP was more for lessons - Chet Atkins, Rik Emmit, Tommy Tedesco, Arlen Roth and others always had a cool lesson every month in GP. Again, there were few (I don't remember any) "gear reviews". I remember the new products where they may announce Marshall had a new amp and list the specs, but that was usually it.

• Members

I'm convinced that somewhere out there, someone has a huge archive of all of the GFTPM tabs. My life's mission is to find it.

I come pretty close. I've subscribed for the most part since the very beginning. Probably missing just a few issues here and there. For the most part it's gotten that nearly every new issue is just a repeat of tab that was printed years ago. Typically 3 out of the 5 tunes is a reprint.

• Members

I come pretty close. I've subscribed for the most part since the very beginning. Probably missing just a few issues here and there. For the most part it's gotten that nearly every new issue is just a repeat of tab that was printed years ago. Typically 3 out of the 5 tunes is a reprint.

They still print GFTPM? I haven't seen it in years!

• Members

They still print GFTPM? I haven't seen it in years!

GFTPM changed their name to just 'Guitar', then they were merged into Guitar One, which was eventually merged into Guitar World.

Most of what gets tabbed anymore has been tabbed to death already. I've got a spreadsheet with tab I have from decades of GFTPM, Guitar School, Maximum Guitar, Guitar One, Guitar World, and a few UK magazines, and it is amazing how many times they keep tabbing the same songs over and over again...

• Members

GFTPM changed their name to just 'Guitar', then they were merged into Guitar One, which was eventually merged into Guitar World.

Most of what gets tabbed anymore has been tabbed to death already. I've got a spreadsheet with tab I have from decades of GFTPM, Guitar School, Maximum Guitar, Guitar One, Guitar World, and a few UK magazines, and it is amazing how many times they keep tabbing the same songs over and over again...

Sent you a pm.

I have a vast majority of those as well. I thought Guitar School was a great magazine. It's too bad that one had to end.

Personally, I think the days are numbered for Guitar Player magazine.

• Members

I do remember the name change to Guitar, and the magazine changed in that it had a "spine" (is that the correct word?), unlike most of the previous GFTPM magazines.

I think that Guitar One was a separate magazine, by Wolf Marshall. Wolf wrote for GFTPM and other magazines as well, but AFAIK Guitar One was separate.

I don't think it was merged with Guitar World, though. At least until I stopped getting GW, it never adopted any of the great content from Guitar One. I do recall that the same publishing company had multiple magazines. IIRC, part of the recycling of tabbed songs had to do with royalties but I'm not too familiar with this.

• Members

I do remember the name change to Guitar, and the magazine changed in that it had a "spine" (is that the correct word?), unlike most of the previous GFTPM magazines.

I think that Guitar One was a separate magazine, by Wolf Marshall. Wolf wrote for GFTPM and other magazines as well, but AFAIK Guitar One was separate.

I don't think it was merged with Guitar World, though. At least until I stopped getting GW, it never adopted any of the great content from Guitar One. I do recall that the same publishing company had multiple magazines. IIRC, part of the recycling of tabbed songs had to do with royalties but I'm not too familiar with this.

Guitar One and Guitar/GFTPM were owned by the same company while they were separate magazines, and eventually they were merged into Guitar One. Before that, Guitar Shop (also owned by the same company) was merged into Guitar, so Guitar One eventually contained the alleged best of all three in one magazine.

A few years later Guitar World and Guitar One were owned by the same company/publishing company and were eventually merged into Guitar World. Or maybe they weren't so much 'merged' as Guitar One ceased to exist and Guitar World continued to be published.

I'm sure I have all of the magazines where the details of the various combinations/mergers were documented, but I'm not all that motivated to look it up at the moment...

Edit: The last issue of Guitar (10/99) discusses the merger of Guitar and Guitar One on the editorial page. The last issue of Guitar One (6/07) doesn't mention anything, they just ceased to exist and all my remaining subscription issues were added to my Guitar World subscription.

• Members

Guitar One and Guitar/GFTPM were owned by the same company while they were separate magazines, and eventually they were merged into Guitar One. Before that, Guitar Shop (also owned by the same company) was merged into Guitar, so Guitar One eventually contained the alleged best of all three in one magazine.

A few years later Guitar World and Guitar One were owned by the same company/publishing company and were eventually merged into Guitar World. Or maybe they weren't so much 'merged' as Guitar One ceased to exist and Guitar World continued to be published.

I'm sure I have all of the magazines where the details of the various combinations/mergers were documented, but I'm not all that motivated to look it up at the moment...

Edit: The last issue of Guitar (10/99) discusses the merger of Guitar and Guitar One on the editorial page. The last issue of Guitar One (6/07) doesn't mention anything, they just ceased to exist and all my remaining subscription issues were added to my Guitar World subscription.

Thanks for the update.

I guess they were trying different brands to sell roughly the same content. I sold most of my collection years ago. I eventually subscribed to Guitar World since it was maybe $9 a year. IMO that one steadily declined in terms of content and quality. When they decided to only print TAB and not the actual notes I stopped reading it. I liked to have both.

Archived