Uh-oh. Was asked to learn and play the national anthem..

maltomario

• Members

and have it ready to play for Saturday morning. Gymnastics competition with thousands of people, and my singer (who is singing the anthem) decides at last second he wants me to play acoustic guitar accompaniment with him. :facepalm:

I want to make sure I do it well and give the song the respect it deserves.

Anyone have any tips on what sort of arrangement would work well in this situation?

Its going to be a busy next few days while I learn this one!

• Members

its not the difficulty of the song. its whether or not i should strum the chords or play individual notes. deciding on what would sound best as a duet.

And yes I'm aware of tab and google. That was not what I was asking.

Hit the big chord changes and accentuate the rhythm with walking notes. As I said earlier it might be nice to add some harmony to the melody during the 'dramatic' parts.

• Members

its not the difficulty of the song. its whether or not i should strum the chords or play individual notes. deciding on what would sound best as a duet.

And yes I'm aware of tab and google. That was not what I was asking.

oops, i misunderstood... sorry...

i personally think single notes with a little chorus would sound best, but that's just my opinion... :thu:

• Members

If my favorite singer in the world offered me $1000 to accompany them on guitar while they sing the National Anthem on live TV at the start of the Superbowl, I'd probably still say "no."

That song is best without accompaniment.

If you must do it, less is definitely more. Chord changes only.

And for the love of all that is good, don't try to Hendrix it up. Everybody who tries ends up merely reminding everybody listening that they are NOT Jimi Hendrix.

• Members

*puts on flame-retardant poncho* I have to say I've never been a big fan of our national anthem as a piece of music because, as jpnyc said, it really WAS a drinking song. A drinking song designed to make one's voice crack and warble. I can't sing worth a damn and so I can't sing it, but I've heard even well-trained pros say it is just HARD to sing well. And I know we've seen it sung badly. No problem with the words, just wish they had picked a different tune ....

Sorry, pet peeve ....

• Members

throw everyone for a loop and learn "Oh Canada" instead. When everyone gets mad rip open your jacket revealing a communist hammer and sickle t-shirt and back out of the auditorium giving everyone the middle finger and pantomiming a jerking off motion near your crotch. make sure you make this face while doing it

coolface.jpg

• Members

I like playing it in C. But I don't sing it. They say you have to start out low or else you won't be able to sing the high notes. Let us know how it goes.
:)

I played it and sang it in Gmaj for a Navy friend's retirement ceremony. C would be entirely too high for me.

I just pretty much strummed the chords at the vocal rhythm. Moved the bassline along at the last part (Oh, say does that star-spangled banner yet wave).

Archived