KT66 vs 6L6

One-armed Alec

• Members

Has anyone tried both types of tube in the same amp? (not at the same time, obviously ;)).

I'm thinking about getting hold of a KT66 for my wonderful little Cornell Romany, which I've had for a couple of years now, running the stock 6L6GC.

They're a little pricey (approx $66 each), so I'd be interested in hearing your tonal comparisons before parting with the wonga.

How does it feel to 'go kinkless'?

Thanks.

:thu:

• Members

Thanks Prages.

I played through a Univalve once too when trying out a Strat in a music shop. The salesman had asked me what kind of amp I'd like use and I asked for something "with a nice clean sound". I had in mind a Fender Tweed, Blackface or similar... Not to rag on the Univalve, but it was not what I was expecting at all! Serves me right for being ambiguous ;)

Can't remember what kind of tube it was running, mind you...

• Members

Thanks Prages.

I played through a Univalve once too when trying out a Strat in a music shop. The salesman had asked me what kind of amp I'd like use and I asked for something "with a nice clean sound". I had in mind a Fender Tweed, Blackface or similar... Not to rag on the Univalve, but it was not what I was expecting at all! Serves me right for being ambiguous
;)

Can't remember what kind of tube it was running, mind you...

I think it comes with 12AX7s and an EL34 stock.

It's been a couple of years since I sold mine, but I remember liking the KT66 more than any other power tube I tried with the Univalve.

It was a little mushier than the 6l6, but still had great definition.

• Members

Yes. I have an old JTM-50 that had 6L6s when I got it. It sounded very good, but it never sounded like I thought it should.

Put in KT-66 and did a bias - WOW! Now it sounds fantastic:)

Interesting. Some of the old Marshalls came stock with KT66s, didn't they? (The 'Bluesbreaker'?).

• Members

Eric Clapton's tone on the 'Beano' record is all KT-66. That tube was Jim Marshall's first choice but he went with the EL-34 because they were cheaper and more plentiful.

I'd give the KT-66 a shot; they seem like great tubes.

• Members

Good luck with the plan. I just wanted to ask a question on the topic. The 6L6 and KT66 were supposed to be the same tube. The 6L6 was American version made by RCA under license to M-OV. My dad was an a broadcast engineer and we had both 6L6s and KT66 bearing the Genelax name, around the house all the time.

• Members

Good luck with the plan. I just wanted to ask a question on the topic. The 6L6 and KT66 were supposed to be the same tube. The 6L6 was American version made by RCA under license to M-OV. My dad was an a broadcast engineer and we had both 6L6s and KT66 bearing the Genelax name, around the house all the time.

Indeed - the two tubes are very similar. In fact, aside from a 'more rugged construction', larger bottle size and a greater heater current draw, I'm not sure how else the KT66 differs mechanically/electrically from the 6L6. The KT66 was introduced after the 6L6, FWIW.

Anecdotal evidence seems to suggest that the KT66 has a 'bigger' sound... but I'd be lying if I said I understood why!

You don't still have any of those Genalexes lying around do you? :cool:

• Members

Interesting. Some of the old Marshalls came stock with KT66s, didn't they? (The 'Bluesbreaker'?).

I have an original JTM-50 which some people call the bluesbreaker.

It had 6l6 when I bought it (used, as it was made in the 60s!).

One thing - make sure KT66 will fit in your amp - they are MUCH larger then 6l6

• Members

I have an original JTM-50 which some people call the bluesbreaker.

It had 6l6 when I bought it (used, as it was made in the 60s!).

One thing - make sure KT66 will fit in your amp - they are MUCH larger then 6l6

You're right to mention that!

In actual fact, they won't fit my amp as it stands - I'll need to remove the tube retainer spring and the back panel will no longer fit (the 6L6 sits very close to it, and the KT66 would probably touch it). However, I've been speaking to the guy who made the amp and he seems to be up for supplying me with a modified rear panel that will accommodate the larger tube (great service - can't recommend Cornell amps enough!).

Did you try the KTs in your JTM-50?

Archived