Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my (1940s?) NGD (and questions)

Earlier today, I babysat a friend's music store for a few hours. I mostly sat at the workbench in the back setting up some guitars for him, but in my spare time I found this guy in the (way) back. When I plugged it in, it didn't make any sound, so I asked to take it home and fix it up, but he just gave it to me because he didn't think he could sell it. The reason the cavity is open is the old plastic pickguard literally fell apart when I unscrewed it. My question is after the pics.

Finally got a video up for you guys .

My first request is help in identifying what brand/year this guitar is. There's no logo/letters anywhere on the guitar. Also, I'm finding it slightly difficult to decipher which wires to to which terminals on the pot. Also, I'm capable with the innards of a strat, but I've never encountered a pot with one of the terminals that comes over the top like that. I think I need to replace the pot, so if I use just a standard one, can I treat that overreaching terminal like the 3rd one on a standard pot?
    Hello. My name is Iñigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die.

2000 American Stratocaster
    1973 Yamaha FG-100
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    Pignose Legendary 7-100

I'm sure someone will be along to offer tech help. In the meantime.....

member: MAZI BEE MILITIA

Originally Posted by guitarkid
    is this serious or him being an ****************************?

Originally Posted by Alchemist
    go easy on him, he might just bust out his move
    I'm assuming thats when he goes into the fetal position, sticks his thumb up his ass, and cries until you leave him alone

Originally Posted by Rhone
    A lot of time and effort has gone in to 'updating' this site just so that one dude can upload his Nam video from his motel room

Comment

thanks, nice picture :P. i got the thing actually making noise (just 1 wire wasn't soldered correctly), and i gotta say it rivals my '66 gibson es-125 p90s for sound sexiness. zero hum to boot.

i'm still curious as to the make and year, though.

1973 Yamaha FG-100
      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
      Pignose Legendary 7-100

Comment

Sweet! Restoring it will be a fun project.

Comment

I think I can figure it out . . definitely 30's 40's material. Could be home made though.
          http://www.reverbnation.com/snakeislandarego

Comment

Cool find! Those old lap steels are nice, not sure of the maker though. Does it say anything at all on the headstock?
            I play both kinds of guitars................Tele's and Strat's.

Check out my interview with Iron Maiden here!
            http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/iron-maiden/1508

Comment

Could you zoom in on that headstock for me, as well as the back of the guitar.?
              http://www.reverbnation.com/snakeislandarego

Comment

thanks, nice picture :P. i got the thing actually making noise (just 1 wire wasn't soldered correctly), and i gotta say it rivals my '66 gibson es-125 p90s for sound sexiness. zero hum to boot.

i'm still curious as to the make and year, though.

That pickup works?
                "I don't want to be immortalized through my work. I want to be immortalized by not dying." Woody Allen

Comment

Sorry I can't help with identifying... but that is bomb as hell!

HNGD!
                  Live Rig:
                  Gretsch Tenny and Gibson SG Classic -> Some neat effects -> Peavey Classic 50 410 and/or Marshall JTM60 310
                  Need an exceptionally cheap sound guy in the general Western Pennsylvania area? PM Me.
                  Do you like Free Candy? Yeah? Then like my band!
                  Had a good trade/transaction/deal? Click here to tell HCEG about it!
                  Proud to be 1st Lieutenant in the SG Army Special Forces

Comment

that is AWESOME!!!

Comment

Quarter can probably tell us. The construction reminds me of Harmony a bit but who knows. Some closer pics like Volvo said would help.
                      I'll look around and see if I spot anything. I bet sounds like friggin heaven. Congrats. Do you have a 40's era lo fi amp for it yet? oke:
                      HNGD.

EG
                      We're not in Kansas anymore.

Comment

Quarter can probably tell us. The construction reminds me of Harmony a bit but who knows. Some closer pics like Volvo said would help.
                        I'll look around and see if I spot anything. I bet sounds like friggin heaven. Congrats. Do you have a 40's era lo fi amp for it yet? oke:
                        HNGD.

EG

that's your kinda' fiddle EG... to the OP, sweet find!!!
                        GUITARS:
                        Fender MIM Standard Strat
                        Hand Made SG Replica
                        Epiphone DOT Studio
                        Westbury Standard
                        Cort X-5
                        New Dawn Signature Prototype
                        Frankentele "The Buddy Caster"
                        Home Made LP copy "The Swamp Ass"
                        AMPS:
                        Crate VC3112
                        Fender Mustang II

Proud Rose Pickups and Rose Petal Effects user

My Good Deals

Comment

I can't help you in identifying it, but HNGD. Lamb Chop my white german shepard gives a (potential) 4 paws up.

- w

GOOD DEALS WITH: ae3753, Buckethead99, CBH5150, DCinDC, Dogfish, Drawdeep, Drivelikejoewho, Duderanimous, Jelloman, Marc758, Newbuilder, Orion23, PunkKitty, Scottd23, tomh777, Weather.at.8, Xupernaut, Zemmy

SPAM: HOHNER TB1 - $225

MY MUSIC:
                          My Music Sampler

Originator of the "can I get free picks with that " phrase TM 2011

Originally Posted by Bob411

Nice ass Mrs. Woody.

Comment

that cable was around the headstock and under the strings when i found it, i took it off when i took off the old and dead as hell strings i found it with.

there's no letters or markings on the guitar of any kind. i've only cranked it through my pignose so far, it's a little late in the evening to plug it into my fender hot rod combo. that'll be tomorrow when everyone's out of the house . i was as surprised as you guys to find that pickup working with the way it looks and all, i was afraid that was the reason it wasn't making noise. i'll see about posting a youtube video for you guys.

1973 Yamaha FG-100
                            Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
                            Pignose Legendary 7-100

Comment

Is that a bolt neck on a lapsteel?
                              Live Rig:
                              Gretsch Tenny and Gibson SG Classic -> Some neat effects -> Peavey Classic 50 410 and/or Marshall JTM60 310
                              Need an exceptionally cheap sound guy in the general Western Pennsylvania area? PM Me.
                              Do you like Free Candy? Yeah? Then like my band!
                              Had a good trade/transaction/deal? Click here to tell HCEG about it!
                              Proud to be 1st Lieutenant in the SG Army Special Forces

Comment

Working...
                              X