Dead spot - deal breaker?

Oldskool Texas

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

A friend's dilemma: he bought a $1500 guitar (used) and has since discovered a dead spot on the neck - I played it myself, and can confirm that the 12th fret G string has noticeably less definition and sustain. Otherwise, no complaints - great tone, nice player. He wants to sell it. Would you?

Chances are, it's a spot where the fret has come up a bit and that saps string energy. Before he sells it, I'd have a really good close look and see if you can find the culprit.

• Members

Pana more than likely hit the nail on the head, The culprit is more than likely have to do with a problem with a fret or few and is nothing that cant be fixed. I would doubt the guitar would need a complete grind and polish(as you would see major wear on the frets) but even if it did it is only a $100 job.

• Members

The 12h or more likely the 13th fret on the G string is usually the deadest spot on any guitar neck. You should always check this zone when buying a guitar. If this zone sings as well as the rest of the neck, it is one key element of an amazing axe.

• Members

Is it a bolt-on neck?

Because sometimes people will "fix" the neck angle by shimming a neck too far, and no amount of tweaking the truss rod will correct it, because the neck is curving back UP after the 12th fret or so.

Pull the shims, lower the bridge, and adjust the action accordingly. Life will be better.

• Members

A friend's dilemma: he bought a $1500 guitar (used) and has since discovered a dead spot on the neck He wants to sell it. Would you?

I have the same problem with a Fender P-bass. Played great for a couple of years and now the the A and D strings have dead spots, starting around the 5th fret. Not completely dead, just lacking the punch and volume of the other strings.

If I sell it, I will have to disclose the problem and will not get squat for it. Other than that issue, it is an incredible instrument. Great intonation and stays in tune for weeks at a time.

This is my #1 and I hate to see it go.

Surfy

• Members

It's a set neck semi-hollow; frets are level and show no wear except on the 2nd and 3rd frets in the high-E and B string area. Strings have been changed several times. We held a stopwatch to it, and the B string fretted at the 12th rings more than twice as long as does the G on the same fret. The G at the 13th fret rings loud and clear, as it does on the 11th. Weird.

I have a fretless bass with a dead spot at the 5th fret of the G string, which is apparently very common, but I've never played a fretted guitar with this problem. It's mysterious and frustrating, so he's ready to show it the door.

I was sort of thinking about making him an offer, but now I'm not too sure I want to inherit this issue.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

• Members

It's a set neck semi-hollow; frets are level and show no wear except on the 2nd and 3rd frets in the high-E and B string area. Strings have been changed several times. We held a stopwatch to it, and the B string fretted at the 12th rings more than twice as long as does the G on the same fret. The G at the 13th fret rings loud and clear, as it does on the 11th. Weird.

I have a fretless bass with a dead spot at the 5th fret of the G string, which is apparently very common, but I've never played a fretted guitar with this problem. It's mysterious and frustrating, so he's ready to show it the door.

I was sort of thinking about making him an offer, but now I'm not too sure I want to inherit this issue.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Check the nut for binding and replace the saddle on that string. Something has to be dampening it. Also try lower the pickups a hair. Magnetic fields can dampen vibration too.

• Members

Check the nut for binding and replace the saddle on that string. Something has to be dampening it. Also try lower the pickups a hair. Magnetic fields can dampen vibration too.

The saddle or nut binding theory has merit, but I don't understand why it would only dampen the string at one fret.

• Members

Not uncommon. Some guitars are known for this and its sort of a seal of authenticity. Try attaching something heavy to the headstock and see if the "dead spot" moves. Like that "Fat Finger" GT weight or a metal capo.

Whether he should return it is his judgement but its not all the rare a situation.

• Members

He and I are both skeptical that it's a set-up problem, but he's going to take it in. The guitar plays beautifully, and no other string or fret is affected - it's just this one spot, dead-center on the neck. The note starts off fine, but fades to zero about twice as fast as any other note played at the same position.

I wonder if mentioning that it's a Gibson would change anyone's diagnosis...

• Members

Hit the g string 12th fret harmonic...if the same thing happens ,its a resonance/phase cancellation thing and just comes with the territory. If it has Kluson type tuners, putting Grovers on might change things as altering the weight of the headstock can affect/move the problem area.(or vice-versa) See previous post.

• Members

Hit the g string 12th fret harmonic...if the same thing happens ,its a resonance/phase cancellation thing and just comes with the territory. If it has Kluson type tuners, putting Grovers on might change things as altering the weight of the headstock can affect/move the problem area.(or vice-versa) See previous post.

Yeah. Also, try muting the other strings while hitting that note to see if sympathetic vibrations are canceling out that note.

Archived