I wish I liked Les Pauls

twofoolsaminute

• Members

Maybe you should just play one for long enough for it to feel right. What you say is you like them for their looks and sound..so I'm guessing its only the feel that isnt right. If you play one enough it will feel right, but if your used to guitars that feel different to play and then you switch you may need to get used to the new feel. Eventually if you persist it will feel right.

• Members

24.7" single cut dual humbucker guitars with a three way switch, 2 vol/2 tone knob tune-o-matic bridge and 3x3 tuner guitars are great.

they sound solid, feel solid. Some of them have lousy heels that are bothersome but they are easy to play on your lap.

As far as price - the Gibson and PRS versions are very pricey but others are reasonable.

I like them as one of my guitars in my arsenal

• Members

24.7" single cut dual humbucker guitars with a three way switch, 2 vol/2 tone knob tune-o-matic bridge and 3x3 tuner guitars are great.

they sound solid, feel solid. Some of them have lousy heels that are bothersome but they are easy to play on your lap.

As far as price - the Gibson and PRS versions are very pricey but others are reasonable.

I like them as one of my guitars in my arsenal

My '77 Guild S-300D is my favorite of the type. It's just a dynamite guitar

• Members

I played a LP Custom for years.

Then my {censored}ing right shoulder started killing me.

I sold it, ended up with an American Deluxe Tele and haven't looked back. When I had the Gibby I always wanted a Tele but never could adjust to the neck and feel. I guess I just had to get a little better as a player.

Now I want an SG Standard to be a stable mate.

TW

:wave:

• Members

they do. I have more of my faves playing Les Pauls than fenders for sure. But when I play one, I just don't connect with it. But a 335 totally blows me away. It doesn't make sense to me.

Understand you completely.

Those LPs are beautiful things but I've never been able to bond with them and I've had clones and Gibsons.

On the other hand and just like you, those semihollows really get me going!

:thu:

• Members

You know, I don't think someone should force themselves to like anything. Often people will say, "just keep playing that guitar so you get used to it." I don't agree with that. I think the guitar should conform to YOUR NEEDS, and not vice-versa. You're the important one...not the guitar.

Agreed. Like what you like, don't but into thhis crap that "X is a classic, you must have one in your sonic palette" and all that bollocks. A lot of my favourite players are LP guys; me, I used to like them but I don't anymore. They just don't excite me on any level these days, though the real killer is I hate how most of them look. :blah:

• Members

they do. I have more of my faves playing Les Pauls than fenders for sure. But when I play one, I just don't connect with it. But a 335 totally blows me away. It doesn't make sense to me.

Nut Width

Standard Gibson: 1.695" +/- .050"

While .050" may not sound like much, that is equal to 1.27mm. 1.695 inches = 43.053 millimeters

Now the nut width is ranging from 41.783mm to 44.323mm. A lot of people say that 42mm vs. 43mm (1mm) makes a huge difference so one can only image what 2.54mm (low to high) would feel like on 2 different guitars.

• Members

From my experience, it can grow on you. I used to ponder if I'd sell my LP when I didn't bond with it enough and found it ackward ergonomically, etc. but i kept it and found myself playing it more and more regularily. Somehow, I find it more confortable to play than I used to and it gets the same love as the others. great guitar.

• Members

I really love the way Les Pauls look too, but I find myself going for Strats/Teles more because the cleans just sound so beautiful with single coil pickups. I still wouldn't mind a kick ass Les Paul Custom in wine red though
:p

wouldn't mind the new Sammy Hagar LP if they'd remove that ugly peace sign in the headstock. It's a beaut except for that.

• Members

From my experience, it can grow on you. I used to ponder if I'd sell my LP when I didn't bond with it enough and found it ackward ergonomically, etc. but i kept it and found myself playing it more and more regularily. Somehow, I find it more confortable to play than I used to and it gets the same love as the others. great guitar.

I kept an LP type just for that purpose, my Epi LP semihollow and I do pick it up now and again but my other guitars get a lot more playing time... that is when I play at all.

:facepalm:

• Members

over the past 2 years or so I've learned that I think I'm mostly a fender guy after all. I like solid colors and big white pickguards. and the longer scale length, while in some ways is a bit harder to play, I think is more musical.

one gibson I really want is a firebird. yum. too bad about the $$$ though.